What rosacea topic do you most want to read about ?

Written by on June 11, 2010 in research with 51 Comments

If you could ask for a topic for an article on rosacea, what would you ask for ?

I have been approached by someone who is contemplating writing an article that would be interesting for rosacea sufferers to read. This article could be published in a magazine or journal and depending on the topic could contain some useful research as well.

So here is your chance to suggest what you would most like to read about.

Go for it, what do you want to see written about ?

Read more about: research

1. Valerie says:

I would like to read about treatments that have worked for rosacea sufferers. I also like to read about new treatments that are coming out. I am willing to try anything to get some relief.

2. James says:

Treatment for facial flushing, redness, ruddy complexion.

3. Eloise Seegars says:

I would like more advice about the pustules in rosacea – the skin-colored, blister-like growths that start under the skin and gradually surface over months. They don’t seem to respond to any medication or treatment.

4. Mary says:

I would like to read about the latest research on the long-term effects of ocular rosacea. I am concerned that the inflammation is worsening my vision.

5. Gillian Ansaldo says:

How to deal with the extreme flushing and heat when one goes outside on a hot day and IPL is not an option. I look like a boiled lobster in seconds in spite of sunhat sunglasses aand sunshade and sunscreen! Most embarrassing at my age !

Three suggestions that came to me via email:

I’m interested in the laser treatments to remove the broken capilaries.

and

Hi David, I feel that a topic regarding the acid and alkalinityof the body might be of interest.I know from looking at foods for myself just how important it is to not over due foods with a lot of acid, and there are many. There are so many foods that bother people that they might never expected and some that they probably are eating daily.

Thanks for letting us give suggestions, and I hope this person will write something and I’m sure even if this topic is not chosen I’m sure she will pick one of interest.
    ~Thanks Again
    Maureen

and

ocular rosacea.

7. Doug says:

New treatments coming out, specifically for redness and flushing. the best way to treat Rosacea for each Subtype. The latest research. the probability a cure will be found. What is really causing Rosacea.

8. Vee says:

1. More about Ocular Rosacea.

2. Diet & Natural supplements for treating rosacea.

9. Vee says:

3. Laser Genesis

10. Doug says:

How the immune system plays a part in Rosacea. I think its the main player.

11. nancy says:

I would like to know what I could use for breakouts and bumps which are happening fast and furiously! I have put extra dots of Retin A on them overnight but then my skin literally flakes away because it’s so dry and the bumps are atill inflamed, red and swollen. It’s very embarrassing to look like you’ve got the comlexion of a 13 year old with acne when you are much, much older. Thanks, NF

12. Carol says:

I’d like to know about OTC treatments for redness, flushing, food to avoid , and supplement that might help.

13. Diane Wiser says:

I would also like to know more about ocular rosacea. There are days when it just about makes it impossible for me to function. How much does being tired have to do with how bad all of the rosacea problems are?

14. Lyn Dansie says:

Hi there, I am very interested in long term solutions for facial flushing and redness in general..I have found a treatment in China which has helped, but it may be very harsh for some….and I know very little about the ingredients used…but here goes. The skin cream called Tomatox produced by TonyMoly, a Korean brand ,has helped to lighten my facial redness and produce more skin clarity..it has been helpful in lessening the oiliness of my skin too and I am in Mid fifties..so while I would hesitiate to recommend from only my experience it has produced helpful results for me…but it is very drying and of course doesn’t help with capillaries, only with general redness, and it’s not a cure, only a help.
    Regards Lyn

15. Phyllis says:

I am an older person who has been treated (with varying effectiveness) for acne. Recently I was diagnosed with also having rosacea.
    I am allergic to doxycycline.
    I wish to know more about treatment options when a person has, as I do, both conditions and allergy to Rx.

16. andy says:

The relation between sun damage (sun burn/tan)on the face and the similar damage areas that rosacea takes on, i.e the bridge of the nose, raised areas on the forehead, cheeks and the raised part of the chin

Foods to eat to encourage healthy skin

17. Tina says:

Rosacea as cause of chronic facial pain

18. g g says:

I would like to read more about how rosacea sufferers can control the way our bodies thermostats can be regulated in changing external temperatures. Which causes intense flushing of my face and neck, but the rest of my body is chilled.
    I have also just finished treatment for solar keratoses with Efudix on my face which by the way is hell and would like to know if rosacea skin is more likely to produce skin cancer. Thanks.

Another via email.

“Laser Treatments!”

20. Herman says:

I would like to read more about the treatment for ocular rosacea, in particular the effectiveness of laser treatments, recently being presented by the press as quite effective. My dermatologist says the use of laser for ocular rosacea is ineffective and it only represents the effort from some doctors to recover costs on expensive equipment.

21. Jason43 says:

I would like to learn about vitamins that really help this condition. For example, do they really work??

22. Valerie says:

I would like to know how many people in my area suffer with this disease like me. Is anyone from Minnesota?

23. Doug says:

VALERIE – I am from Minneapolis and was diagnosed 3 months ago with Rosacea. Let me know if you would like to chat offline.

24. Lenore says:

I would like to learn more about treating ocular rosacea, especially on how to reduce chronic swelling of the eyelids.

25. Valerie says:

I am from the Minneapolis area as well. I have had rosacea for almost 5 years now and it seems to be getting worse. All the treatments I have tried do not work. You can email me at rosaceahelp@hotmail.com. I have set up an email to find local people to chat with.

26. nancy says:

I, too, want to know what causes Rosacea and why it seems to get worse. The minute I have a breakout clear up there are two more on the way.

27. Mary says:

I have found the following effective: 1 tsp-1 tbsp flax seed oil (Barleans is best) per day for ocular rosacea. It stimulates the tear glands and helps dry eye. If you’re breaking out in small pustules and cutting out cheese, chocolate, and alcohol hasn’t helped entirely, the culprit may be tomatoes. Cutting out tomatoes – in all forms – meant no more breakouts for me (but didn’t help the redness unfortunately).

28. Karen says:

I would like to know how the research is going for a cure to this crazy disease. Also what can be done to relief some of the pain when your face burns all day. It seems as if dermatologists cannot give you an answer because they don’t know. Just tell you to put ice packs on your face which is really not a solution to this problem.

29. D says:

Obviously there are many suffering and frustrated people out there with this disease. Most of the comments voice the same opinions, questions and problems. Dermatologists seem to be at a loss to help their patients. My current doctor (there have been many) continuously throws samples at me, so she does not have to discuss this painful mess on my face. One of my doctors actually caused my rosacea. Other available medications are not very effective. Steroids, which are prescribed most often, actually worsen symptons and cause other unacceptable side effects. I would like to know what research is actually being done and why it is taking so long to figure out what causes this disease and what can be done to alleviate it. I would also like to know what it takes to educate the medical community and get the pharmas to warn patients about the horrible side effects of topical steroids: rosacea, cataracts, osteoporosis, etc.

Signed, Mad, Ugly and in Pain

30. andy says:

What can we as sufferers do to fund research into this condition? If someone who passed away wanted to make a donation, or somebody who had a large sum of money and wanted to invest or donate to a firm, charity or even this site, what should they do?

We can give donations to cancer charities etc who have labs , but where is the rosacea equivalent?

via email:

Hi

I was thrilled to see someone is going to write another book on Rosacea. Areas I’d like to see covered are:

Diet and how pH exacerbates redness
    Skin care that calms inflamation and redness and does not irritate. That includes ingredients such as Aloe Vera, MSM (organic sulfur) and vitamins C, A and E.
    Exfoliation
    Alcohol and preservatives as triggers
    The right type of IPL to look for. Some are fantastic others can make a mess
    Reduction of flushing when effective IPL has been performed
    Nutritional supplements that help – EFA’s, Vitamin A, Zinc, MSM, digestive enzymes
    Topical medications that work

Best of luck.

Irene

via email:

how to get rid of the red face

33. Cindy says:

1. P&P’s
    Ive got both redness and p&s’s and I can sort of live with the redness, but the red scarring p&p’s are getting me down.

2. The following item’s possible affect on the skin:
    2.1 PH Balance
    2.2 Digestion
    2.3 Gut Bacteria
    2.4 Leaky Gut
    2.5 Liver & Hormones

3. Supplements (non prescriptive)

4. Demodex Mites

34. Mary says:

Cindy, for the pimples try eliminating tomatoes and cheese from your diet. Don’t worry, you can live without Italian food if it means no more breakouts. Then one day try eating a few tomatoes and see if you’re broken out in the morning. That will clinch it.

35. Cindy says:

Mary, thanks for the reply! 🙂 Tomatoes I dont really mind living without… but cheese!?! 🙁 Ouch! But I will try, like you said if I have no more breakouts then it will be worth it. Ive cut down my sugar intake from being a sweetoholic to barely any at all, so I should be able to do this as well?

Im taking probiotics now and know that sugar will just kill all the healthy bacteria, so thats motivation at least for not eating sweets.

I had 5 cherry tomatoes last night with my salad/dinner and no breakouts today, will it really show so quickly?

36. Mary says:

Cindy, ah I can relate – the three bad but addictive Musketeers – chocolate, cheese, and chips! Maybe you’re more allergic to cheese than tomatoes. Have a week without cheese or tomatoes then re-introduce cheese and see what happens. If that’s not the culprit introduce tomatoes the following week. You’ve already cut down the sugar so I don’t have to talk about chocolate (my particular drug of choice before I realized it was poison for my skin). I’m going to try ricotta cheese (see Rosacea support – natural anti-inflammatory therapies post) on the redness today (rub it in, let dry, wash off with lukewarm water). Will let you know if it helps. Aloe Vera gel at night is good too.

37. jean says:

I would like to hear more about rosacea and the sensitivity to alcohol-I bet there are a lot of people out there who had very difficult social lives prior to diagnosis

38. Cuth says:

Hi David …. I would like to see information on current and new treatments been considered for severe burning and swelling.

There is a near complete absence of information on what is probably the worst sympton of Rosacea.

Keep up your great work !!

Cheers

39. Frances says:

The “Cold Room – Warm Room Flush” because that information from your website was so helpful for me – keeping face warm has made a HUGE improvement for me this winter.

Keeping your head up (above your heart) when exercising, doing house-work, etc – avoiding extra pressure on stressed capillaries.

Thanks for your help!

40. Frances says:

Physical pressure on your face eg resting your hand against your face, bed sheet falling across your face while sleeping can cause rosacea spots.