First hinted at 2 years ago at the 2012 AAD meeting in San Diego, a new topical from Skinceuticals is now available and is starting to accumulate some modest research suggesting that it is good for a red face.
This paper published in the JDD suggests that using Skinceuticals Redness Neutralizer along with the regular rosacea topicals like Metrogel and Finacea, can lead to a reduction in the overall redness associated with the papules and pustules of rosacea.
Hilary Baldwin MD, Diane Berson MD, Maria Vitale MS, Margarita Yatskayer MS, Nannan Chen PhD, Christian Oresajo MD PhD.
Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, March 2014, 326, VOLUME 13 , ISSUE 3
In this study, the use of a novel topical lotion (Skinceuticals, Inc, NY) containing caffeine, zinc gluconate, bisabolol, Eperua falcata bark extract, and palmitoyl tripeptide-8) was studied in patients who had been successfully treated with topical or oral therapy for papulopustular rosacea but returned unsatisfied with their persistent erythema.
These agents have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and vasoconstrictive activities.
… However, in all categories (erythema, flushing, skin texture, radiance, skin tone (evenness) and overall rosacea severity and overall appearance),there was a statistically significant improvement [P< 0.001] between baseline and week 4 and again between baseline and week 8.
Skinceuticals Redness Neutralizer Ingredients
Water, Squalane, Glycerin, Isopropyl Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Undecane, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter / Shea Butter, Tridecane, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-20 Stearate, Ammonium Polyacryldimethyltauramide / Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Bisabolol, Butylene Glycol, Caffeine, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Cetyl Alcohol, Dextrin, Disodium EDTA, Eperua Falcata Bark Extract, Farnesol, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-8, Panthenol, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Sodium Benzoate, Tocopherol, Triethanolamine, Xanthan Gum, Zinc Gluconate
The Hidden Red Face of Rosacea
It is a common occurrence for patients to return after successful therapy for papulopustular rosacea complaining of the persistence of erythema. Indeed, many patients notice it for the first time once the inflammatory lesions have subsided.
Parenthetically, it is helpful to point this out to patients prior to embarking on therapy lest the drug be blamed for the background erythema that has merely been unmasked. Most rosacea patients, therefore, will request a treatment for their erythema at some point in their treatment plan.
How Does It Work?
The paper offers the following description of how the ingredients might offer a benefit;
This lotion contains ingredients that have been shown to decrease inflammation, erythema and cause vasoconstriction.
- Palmtoyl tripeptide-9 is a peptide derived from modified amino acids linked to palmitic acid. It has been shown to have anti-inflammatory activity and to reduce capillary vasodilatation.
- Eperua extract is derived from the bark of Eperua falcate found in the rainforests of South America. The extract is rich in flavonoids, catechins, tannins and quinines. It has been shown to reduce reactive oxygen species and to have anti-inflammatory activity.
- Bisabolol is an active ingredient in chamomile. It is an unsaturated monocyclic sesquiterpene alcohol, which has been shown to be an anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial. It also enhances the percutaneous absorbtion of other agents.
- Caffeine is a methyl xanthine derived from numerous plant families, most notably Coffea arabica, Thea sinensis, and Cola vera. It has anti-inflammatory
activities and has been shown to have a stimulatory effect on the cutaneous microcirculation.
- Finally zinc gluconate is mildly astringent and is used for its soothing properties.
Until now, concrete data assessing the use of topical products in reducing persistent erythema after successful therapy for papulopustular rosacea has been lacking.
This pilot study suggests that utilization of this novel lotion (Skinceuticals, Inc. NY) containing Caffeine, Zinc Gluconate, Bisabolol, Eperua Falcata Bark Extract and Palmitoyl Tripeptide-9 can help to provide relief from chronic erythema (persistent redness) and symptomatology in rosacea patients.
- Mysterious L’Oreal Lotion Good for Redness (2012 AAD San Diego)
- How to Cure a Red Face
- Favourite Over the Counter Treatments
- Exotic and Expensive Cosmetics, Do They Work ?
- What is the best Moisturizer for Rosacea?
- Forum: Skinceuticals Redness Neutralizer
- Product Page: Skinceuticals – Redness Neutralizer