lindasy.com is closing down

Written by on September 16, 2008 in research with 285 Comments

Just in case anyone has missed the email over at rosacea-support; Linda Sy has been in contact to say that she is retiring and thus her web site and business is closing. Anyone who wants to stock up on their favourite products will need to order some now as they will no longer be available after the end of October, or as long as stock lasts.

This is the end of a great relationship between rosacea-support and Dr. Sy. It was through her involvement with rosacea sufferers and her expertise in formulating products that she was able to create ZincO Cream, Vita-Oil and her Mild Oatmeal facial cleanser.

I, for one, will really miss the tinted ZincO cream. I still use this every day, and have done for several years.

Thanks for all you have done for us rosacea sufferers Dr Sy. We wish you all the best for your retirement.

[update:] Some of Linda Sy’s most popular products are available from RosaceaCare, see http://rosaceacare.com/orders/order.html#prod for more information.

Read more about: research

1. Marie-C. says:

Thanks Brian for the info, but I do miss the zinco…

2. lynn says:

Thank you so much!

3. Canarygirl says:

Did you know that you can buy the pure zinco powder online at http://www.gardenofwisdom.com:

Just add the powder to whatever lotion or cream that you current like for your face.

For people who like color correction, I posted earlier (I think) about Merle Norman powder base…simple, elegant cream with zinc oxide as the second or third ingredient. Does contain mineral oil but that doesn’t bother me.

4. lynn says:

Brian,

Regarding avenueskin I feel a little uncomfortable ordering anything with a credit card in another country.

When I went to the web site it says it is not a secure site?

How did you get your product? Are you living in Canada? Want to try the untinted zinc oxide, but a little worried about ordering on my card?

Lynn

5. Sharon Buxton says:

I am another disgruntled customers of Linda Sy’s products and continue to hope I will find out that someone is continueing her line of products. Shortly I will finish my last bottle of acne cover lotion and tube of ZincO cream. I have used the lotion over the cream for years and know another product will not replace them. I would like to be contacted if her business and products are brought back.

Sharon

6. Michelle says:

I feel your pain! I have been using the Moisturizer for Face and Body for years and been searching endlessly for a substitute…sadly I have not found one.

7. lynn says:

A lot of us out here. I miss the soap for dry sensitive skin, and the untinted zinco.

For those of us with extremely sensitive skin its really been next to impossible to find products to replace Linda Sy skin care.

I am still trying to find the untinted zinc oxide sun screen I can use without getting RED!

So far? NOTHING out there! I kid you not I have spent hundreds of dollars on different products. Getting very desperate.

I only have two tubes of untinted zinco left.

8. David C says:

Lynn, Michelle & Sharon – I know it is expensive (but by the sound of things you have spent a great deal of money already) have you considered going to a compounding chemist? They can pretty much make anything & the ingredients are listed on the tube so there is not guess work involved.

I really hope you find a solution.

Regards

David.

9. Lynn says:

David,

I did go to one compounding pharmacist. Not a chemist, but he was not much help.
    Said here in Los Angeles most likely it would be extremely expensive to do in such a small quantity.

Now if I were to order enough for my life time! LOL they may help me.

I guess I will go ahead and order the Avenue Skin that Brian suggested.

I am just a little uneasy ordering out of the Country. However my sons girlfriend assured me its fine, and she has done it a lot.

I sure hope this stuff will work!

But thanks for the suggestion, and I think I will try to find a chemist, and ask them directly.

Lynn

10. Canarygirl says:

Is anyone willing and able to sell a sample of either of these formulas (tinted or untinted), or maybe both? I am hesitant to purchase them because of how pricey they are compared to the original–at least twice as expensive if not more–and the fact that the website alludes to the formula being changed somewhat, to make it more moisturizing. I happen to have liked the matte finish of the original. Hence my reluctance to fork over the $60+ US dollars to try it. I would really like to purchase a sample though from anyone who would be willing to do that.

thanks

11. David C says:

Hi Lynn/Canarygirl – don’t be put off by what that one chemist told you – I live in Sydney Australia & the one I found was going to charge me $300 (about $270 American) for a large tube (almost 2X the size of the old Linda Sy Tube) & $150 for any orders after that. If it wasn’t for Rosacea care bringing back the Tinted ZincO I would have gone down this road.

I have only recently ordered the new ZincO from Rosacea care – looks like there are 2 new ingredients – ‘Castor Oil Phosphate & DEA-Oleath-3 Phosphate’ -I to liked the Matte finish – being a guy it doesn’t make it look like I have makeup on – I too am a little concerned that the new product may be a little ‘oily’.

David P did say on 8 July 2009 “I too confirmed that castor oil is mentioned on the RosaceaCare packaging, but no the Linda Sy packaging. I asked RC and this was their response back from the firm that is making the product. The change in the ingredient listing only reflects a nomenclature change for one of the component raw materials. Changes in the ingredient listing nomenclature are not always updated in a timely fashion on the packaging of established products. Dr. Sy may have been using a stock of screened containers that she had in inventory or she may have reordered them with the previous ingredient information without asking us for any updates. ā€

So thankfully this confirms that it is as it always has been; the same lab making the same product as before for Linda Sy.

David, do you know anything about the other ingredient DEA-Oleath-3 Phosphate? Maybe this may help with canarygirl’s concerns.

Canarygirl – I would give you some free of charge when I receive my tube – do you live in Sydney?

Regards

David C

12. PH says:

What about the untinted ZincO? Anyone have any idea if Rosacea Care is still planning on releasing that item?

13. Yes, the Untinted ZincO Cream is still coming, no date available yet, as far as I know.

14. Canarygirl says:

Thankyou, David for the update and the offer to give me a sample. However, I live faaar away from you in the Pacific NW/USA so I expect shipping costs would make it not worthwhile. I may just throw caution to the wind and purchase an untinted tube when it becomes available.

15. Lynn says:

I am waiting patiently for the Untinted Zinco . So I pray they are going to bring it back…..

Lynn

16. David C says:

Hi Canarygirl – I think when it comes to our skin we are in a situation where unfortunately we have to spend a lot of money. I have booked myself in for one more PDL treatment in February – probably looking at $1600 – & this will make treatment number four so it is a costly disease – BUT it has saved my life so it has been worth every cent. Brian has stated that he loves the Rosacea Care ZincO so I think it is worthwhile to give it a try.

I hope that the untinted becomes available very soon. I wish I could be of more assistance.

Try to hang in there – I know it is not easy – I know that is easier said than done.

Take care
    David C

17. Lynn says:

David,

PDL treatment that expensive where you live?
    I have one done about once a month, along with an IPL at UCLA in Los Angeles California, and its never been over 500.00 .

I guess I should be thankful I’m in LA! I could not pay that per treatment.

Lynn

18. David C says:

Hi Lynn – yes it is quite expensive – but this is the entire face & ears (face alone is $1200). He also has an IPL machine – I think he charges $500 for that here as well. In 9 years I have only had 3 PDL treatments (4 once I have it done in February) so if you are spending $500 every month it is actually costing you more than what it has cost me.

The Pulse Dye Laser is quite an expensive piece of equipment – my Dr told me that it cost him $70,000 to purchase & then it requires maintenance every 18mths – he is not in it for the money, he genuinely wants to help people.

In saying that, the money was & is worth it. From having a red burning face every day to look at me now you would never know I had rosacea – I still can’t go in the sun for long periods of time but skin cancer is quite common here in the land of Oz so it’s no big deal for me.

I wouldn’t even be having another treatment but I have been suffering from severe sinusitis/allergic rhinitis for the last 2 years & the histamine production is in overload which even an anti histamine tablet can’t control & causing a flush every now & again so I have decided to have just one more treatment which I hope will stop the flushing entirely. Failing that I will change my job – I work in an office & as dust/dust mites is my main trigger, it just flows through the airconditioning system no matter how clean I keep my desk.

Anyway I really do hope that the untinted becomes available for you & everyone else who are desperate for it. Fingers crossed.

Best wishes

David C

19. Lynn says:

David,

I hear you on the burning! I sometimes burn so bad for hours.

That’s what drove me to get the IPL for the last seven years.

I went to DR Bitter in Beverly Hills once a month for about two years. For some reason I was not getting much benefit.

Found another Derm in West Los Angeles at UCLA. She suggested doing the V beam and the IPL at the same time.

So far I have had some results. However if I drink anything hot, eat any spicy food any alcohol, or sun back to square one.

Sometimes I just get sooo sick of the whole thing.

You are right about the expense, but it would be more difficult for me to come up with a big chunk all at once verses so much per month.

Fingers are crossed.

Lynn

20. David C says:

Hi Lynn – I understand now. In your earlier post you were talking about PDL once a month – I realise now you mean V-Beam.

I did have 1 Vbeam treatment (only cost me about $300 – BUT Vbeam did not give me good results & took me forever to recover from. My PDL is with the “Cynosure” laser.

As I mentioned earlier, my Dr does the IPL but he has always stated that to really stop the flushing (not just get rid of the redness) the Pulse Dye Laser is the way to go – BUT Brian swears by the IPL treatment so I guess everyone is different. PDL is not pleasant – BUT the results I have had have been worth it.

It takes me a month to fully recover so as much as I am not looking forward to it in February I am looking forward to having a month off work & getting some rest.

When I got home from work last night my Rosacea Care Tinted Zinco was there in the mail. It looks the same colour & the smell is slightly different but for all of you who are waiting for the untinted, if you can’t wait any longer – maybe give the tinted a try – I put some on my arm & after rubbing it in for a while it wasn’t that dark.

I have one question though that maybe Brian can answer – Brian do you know what the DEA-3 Oleath ingredient is used for?(I saw from one of your earlier posts that you have a friend who knows about this sort of stuff).

Lynn – hang in there. I still flush thanks to my allergies & alcohol & spicy stuff is a no no for me as well.

Regards

David C

21. David C says:

Hi everyone I have a tiny concern. Reading the New Zinco ingredients – (I know I have gone on about it in my earlier posts). I wanted to know what DEA-Oleath 3 Phosphate was before I put it on my face – one search told me that it may cause cancer – David P – do you still keep in contact with Dr Sy? Would you mind asking her about this new ingredient? It is being used as a surfactant in the sunscreen – which is fine BUT not if it could be a dangerous substance.

I will be going to my pharmacist to show him the list of ingredients before I use the new ZincO.
    I will report back when I know something.

Regards

David C.

22. Hi David,

I’m not sure that it is really a new ingredient – see my comment #217 above. I can ask Dr. Sy what she included it for and her thinking, but I’m sure that the overall formulation is and has been designed to be as mild and elegant as she could make it.

23. I have been in contact with Dr. Sy who has confirmed that the ingredients used have remained the same since 2000, only the packaging has changed. So if you have used ZincO since 2000 then you will be getting the same formulation today from RosaceaCare.

24. David C says:

OK thanks David – I appreciate your quick response. Maybe this will answer the question once & for all.

Regards

David C

25. Beck says:

Regarding an alternative to the Linda Sy Oatmeal Facial Wash–Has anyone tried Aveeno Soothing Relief Creamy Wash? It’s actually designed for babies with eczema. It contains colloidal oatmeal, and no alcohol.

My last bottle of Linda Sy Oatmeal cleanser has just run out, and I am desperate to find a replacement but am weary to try random products as they would easily cause my rosacea to flare up. In a cinch I decided to try my daughter’s Aveeno Soothing Relief Creamy Wash (she has eczema skin), as it also contains colloidal oatmeal. After 3 days’ use, here are my observations:

– no rosacea flare up
    – made my face drier than the Linda Sy Oatmeal Cleanser, but still acceptable.
    – makeup washes off rather well, comparable to the Linda Sy Oatmeal Cleanser (note: I only use foundation makeup, so can’t comment on whether it can clean off mascara).

I can’t wait until Rosacea Care resurrects the Oatmeal Facial Cleaner. Meanwhile I will continue to try out the Aveeno Soothing Relief Creamy Wash. It’s readily available, and very inexpensive (~$5 for 8 oz).

I understand this may not work for everyone, but want to post it in case it can benefit someone else. Although I only have mild rosacea (thanks to Linda Sy products keeping my rosacea under control) but in general my skin is very picky about face wash (only Linda Sy so far) and sunscreen (only titanium dioxide). So I’m hopeful that this face wash solution may work for some of you too.

26. Doing some blog testing.

Sorry for the intrustion.

David Pascoe.

27. Laura says:

I don’t understand this – why didn’t Linda Sy sell her business to someone who would keep making her fabulous products? I’ve used her products for years. People constantly tell me I look 15 years younger than my age (I’m 49). I don’t know what I’m going to do without her products! Does anyone know why she didn’t sell her business to someone to take it over for her?

Laura

28. Hi All,

RosaceaCare have just let me know that their Mild Oatmeal Facial Cleanser is available to purchase online and will ship from December 14, 2009.

They have confirmed that the formulation and lab are the same as when it was made for Linda Sy.

The URL to order is

(RC are a site sponsor of rosacea-support.org)

29. Rachael M says:

I compared the RosaceaCare site listing of ingredients in the Mild Oatmeal Facial Cleanser to my last (now empty) bottle from Dr Sy. The ingredients ARE the same in both products, BUT some of the ordering of the ingredients has changed. I don’t know if this will affect the formulation, but at least nothing has been added nor substituted. The cost for 4 ounces is $23. RosaceaCare does make sample kits available. When I contacted them via email some months ago, I learned it was possible to get an individual sample that wasn’t contained in the kit for $5. I’m planning on asking for a sample. If I’m happy with it, I’ll be back to order more. I’ll keep you posted on the results.

30. rebecca says:

If anyone is looking for Linda Sy Translucent Powder-Rose Tone, there is ONE listed on eBay (auction #250579080124).

31. JJ Lauderbaugh says:

I find it shocking that I can’t reorder the ZincO sunscreen (untented) any more. If anyone has a substitute that is really close to being the same, let me know.

32. Marie-C. says:

It would be great if RosaceaCare decided to bring back the Linda Sy SPF30 Recreational Sunscreen…I so miss it!

33. Archana says:

Does anyone know where I can get the optimal light spf 15 sunscreen? I am desperate! thank you!

34. Beck says:

Want to update on my previous post about alternative to Linda Sy Oatmeal Facial Wash.

I’ve been using Aveeno Soothing Relief Creamy Wash for quite a while now, and find that my rosacea has NOT flared! This is a wash for babies with eczema skin (you can find it in the baby aisle in stores), and it contains oatmeal too. It’s very inexpensive.

35. RosaceaCare have let me know that the untinted zinco cream is now called Translucent Zinco and will be available from mid July. The name has changed but the formulation is the same as before.

36. Marie-C. says:

I have asked a RosaceaCare representative about bringing back the Linda Sy Recreational Sunscreen SPF30 and she has answered me that the untinted zinco is the last Linda Sy product that they are bringing back. Unfortunately, they had intended to hold only four of her products (which I have all bought!!). I’m so sad!

37. Rebecca says:

If anyone needs the Linda Sy Eye Firming Gel, I am closing them out at 5 for $25. That’s a $200 value (they retailed for $40 each).

I also have a few Concealing Loose Powders (great to cover the red of Rosacea) at $20 each.

$5 for priority mail shipping.

E-mail btyler18@hotmail.com for more information.

38. Jim says:

Hurrah – tinted ZincO is back! I’ve been using sun-zinc15 from purifiedskincare.com, but they have discontinued their tinted version. Nice having tinted ZincO available again.

39. Shirley says:

I am looking for Linda Sy Protective Cream. Does anyone have any?

40. RachaelM says:

I finally got around to ordering the oatmeal face wash from Rosacea Care. If it’s not exactly the same formulation as Dr Linda Sy’s, it’s near enough. I’ve been using it for several weeks with good results. No rosacea flare ups or undue dryness. In May of 2010 here, Beck mentioned a suitable alternative. It now appears we have two kinds of oatmeal face wash to choose from: Aveeno’s and Rosacea Care’s formulation. Hope this helps!