IPL is Excellent for Rosacea

Written by on November 30, 2005 in IPL with 71 Comments

The first large scale, long term look at IPL that I’ve seen. The news is good, IPL is gaining more and more professional weight as a mainstream rosacea treatment. Also see the end of this article for links to more leading edge information on IPL.

Effective treatment of rosacea using intense pulsed light systems. Dermatologic Surgery. 2005 Oct;31(10):1285-9., Schroeter CA, Haaf-von Below S, Neumann HA., Department of Laser Therapy, Medical Centre Maastricht, Becanusstraat 17 A05, 6216 BX Maastricht, the Netherlands.

BACKGROUND: To date, a variety of lasers have been used for treating vascular skin lesions. Intense pulsed light (IPL) is a proven technology for vascular lesion management, such as rosacea.

OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to test the effectiveness of IPL in treating vascular facial lesions in rosacea patients.

METHODS: Sixty patients presenting with telangiectasia owing to facial rosacea were selected randomly from the patient population in the Department of Laser Therapy at the Medical Centre Maastricht, the Netherlands. Patients of various skin types (Fitzpatrick I-IV) were selected with an average age of 44.2 years. Five hundred eight sites were treated, with a mean of 4.1 treatments per site and an IPL spectrum ranging from 515 to 1,200 nm with different pulse durations between 4.3 and 6.5 milliseconds. The energy density varied from 25 to 35 J/cm2.

RESULTS: Patients were assessed clinically and photographically. A mean clearance of 77.8% was achieved and was maintained for a follow-up period averaging 51.6 months (range 12-99 months). No correlation was found between the clearance of rosacea and patient-related or technical data. For approximately 3 years post-treatment, lesion recurrence was noted in 4 of the 508 treated facial sites.

DISCUSSION: This study demonstrated that IPL treatment of facial rosacea is effective in obtaining clearance of 77.8%, with minimal side effects, and that treatment effects are maintained.

CONCLUSION: The IPL system, with its broad range of technical variables, is an effective tool in achieving meaningful and lasting rosacea clearance.

Related Articles:

Feedback: What has your experience been with IPL ? Would you recommend going through a series of treatments ? How did you find a good clinic ? Feel free to leave a comment below.

Read more about: IPL

1. John Bedford says:

Dear Sir/Madam

I have had Rocacea for 2 yrs now and have tried everything.

Antibiotics made things worst.

Herbal medicin got rid of the lumps.

My redness in the effected area has gone from Red to pink, but i am still not happy.

I wanted to ask:

a) Is IPL dangerious/is it 100% safe?

b) My nose and right cheek is
    currently a pink/red colour… more
    pink than red, so will IPL reduce the
    pinkness to white?

“Hope you can give me some feed back on this”

Kind Regards

Mr John Bruce Bedford
    IPL

2. ross warren says:

Dear Sir, It has been my experience, after having dealt with rosacea for over 10 years (and having tried everything), that one to three treatments of IPL, in conjunction with two to three Vbeam (gentle YAG laser) treatments spaced about a month apart, will have great therapeutic results. Of course your mileage may vary. Go to a real board certified dermatologist – not one of the “spa” places that happens to have a laser. You will end up spending $1500 to $2000 on these treatments, so you want to get your money’s worth and have the treatments done by a true professional. I live near Charlotte NC, and am seeing Dr. Rostan. The main thing to remember is that one treatment alone isn’t going to do much, so don’t expect miracles on your first visit. And of course, stay out of the sun, use sunscreen, avoid rosacea triggers as always. But in the end, I think you’ll find these treatments valuable. Also keep in mind that after all is said and done, you may have to have another round of treatments in a couple or three years to keep the rosacea at bay. Good luck.

3. MELISSA SMITH says:

TO ROSS WARREN: I live near Charlotte,NC too. Does insurance generally cover this treatment?

Thanks,

Melissa

4. Jason Wagner says:

No insurence does not usually cover IPL for rosacea. Its a cosmetic procedure.

5. Chris Moorhouse says:

Hi Guys

I have my third treatment next week, so far i have noticed an improvement with the texture of my skin however the redness is still very bad. I’ve been to see a dermy today that wants me to try Tetracycline 250mg. What do you guys think? should i stop the laser treatment and try these tablets.

Im currently paying £220 per a treatment.

Thanks,

Chris

6. Emily says:

Hi All,
    I have had rosacea for about 5 years now (used to think it was just acne) and as I get older it’s getting worse (I’m 36 now) I have been through three IPL treatments and am using the Obagi skin care system and nothing seems to be helping; in fact, my skin sensitivity and burning seems to be getting worse. I’m almost at my wits end over this!

7. Orlando Deb says:

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed 17 years ago at the age of 26. At that time I was given Tetracycline pills which cleared up the acne and calmed my skin down but my skin still remained pink, but I was no longer bright red.

I had to drastically change my diet in order to stop the flushing: no chocolate, no tomato products, no vinegar, no nuts, no orange juice & no coffee, etc.

Cold weather always made my face flush and made the rosacea worse.

As I got older the acne went away, and the flushing feeling has gone away, however my face is still pink and the broken capillaries are now more visable.

Three days ago I went to a spa expecting to get my first IPL Laser Photo Rejuvenation treatment. When I got there they told me that their Fraxel treatment was just like the Photo Rejuvenation treatment and would treat my rosacea as well as my age spots and sun spots.

When I got home I did research on the web about Fraxel and I do not see it recommended for Rosacea anywhere on the web. There is a lot on the web about IPL for Rosacea. Now I am confused and concerned should I go back for the rest of the Fraxel treatments or should I switch to a different place that offers IPL Photo Facials?

Has anyone tried or heard of Fraxel being good for Rosacea?

Orlando Deb

8. Emily says:

Hello everyone,

I have had rosacea for about 3 years now…I am 34 years old. It seems to continue to get worse with age.
    I live in Florida, and have found that the heat makes my rosacea flare up. Not only does my face look flush because of the heat, it breaks out really bad. It seems like I have had to completly change my lifestyle because of rosacea. I am going to the doctor this week for my third IPL treatment; so far, it hasen’t seemed to help. The good thing is, the treatments are covered under my health insurance. I noticed that some of you are paying out-of-pocket for your IPL treatments. Ya’ll might want to check with your insurance company to see if they cover your treatments…this is NOT cosmetic!

I am at my wits end with my breakouts… Any suggestions? Do oral antibiotics help?

Hi Emily,

Oral antibiotics do work for most people and work best for the inflammatory parts of rosacea – the papules and pustules. You might like to investigate a low dose doxycycline like Oracea or generic periostat as a lower-risk alternative.

10. Marlena says:

Hi Orlando Deb,

Deb, I just wanted to make a quick comment regarding your question about Fraxil laser treatments. I have a friend who went to a dermatologist for this treatment. She completely got rid of all of her symptoms of rosacea (redness, papules and pustules around her nose and mouth) after 1 treatment with no reoccurance after one year. My question to you, though: did you feel as though your face was being “blowtorched” by the laser? (a term used by my friend) She could hardly stand the 20 min procedure and had to stay home for a week till the redness/swelling went down. I just wondered if the treatment you had at a spa was as effective as having it at a dermatologist. I would suggest that you, at least, talk to a doctor to discuss this before returning to the spa for any additional treatments. Good luck!

11. Laser Treatments MD says:

Pain management is often a concern for laser treatments. Topical usually works.

12. Hi Emily,

We do IPL at our clinic (we also do Fraxel and Laser Vein treatments). Some IPLs are better than others when it comes to treating Redness and Rosaceo.

What type of IPL is your doctor using? How much does insurance reimburse for the treatment?

There are two components to Rosacea. The pimples and papules are treated with oral antibiotics and the redness is treated with light therapy (IPL and other types of Lasers).

Hope this helps.

I am looking forward to learn a lot from interacting on this site.

13. Colleen says:

I’ve had rosacea since I was a teenager, but I didn’t konw it. For years I suffered but was only diagnosed about 5 years ago. I now live in the UK and two years ago started IPL with the UK’s top rosacea specialist, but I got my hopes up and if I’m being totally honest it really didn’t do that much. I have no will power so I can’t cut out beer, hot foods, etc. And that is what flairs it. The ONLY thing I have tried (and I have tried EVERYTHING) and found to work is the full sweep of Eucerin for rosacea products -in the UK I think it’s called ‘for facial redness’. I use the facewash, nightcream (evne in the day) and spf cream on top of that. If I had found this years ago it would have made such a difference. It has licorice root in it, and that must be what makes it work. It’s the only thing that makes my skin look like I’m slightly normal. i want to start a UK campaign to get top class rosacea treatment paid for by the NHS. It’s not cosmetic, it’s painful and horendous.

14. David Paul says:

Hey Dave,

I was wondering what your opinion was on IPL and lasers. I am wondering which is better, IPL or smoothbeam and gentle yag lasers for rosacea?

Thanks,

David T.

15. Paul says:

I had my first IPL treatment yesterday. It was immediately followed by 15 minutes under red light. There was a visible improvement as soon as it was finished. Today there is even less redness. I’ve had rosacea for three years (perhaps longer, but I’ve been diagnosed for 3 years). I have papules, pustules, swelling on my cheeks and forehead. My forehead has been covered with papules for a year. The swelling has reduced considerably in all areas and the burning and itching is gone since the IPL.

16. Pamela says:

I have sufferred from rosacea for years but it has substantially worsened over time…redness, papules & pustules all over face and neck. Nonresponsive to abx and topicals. I went to a dermatologist who recommended Pulse Dye Laser ($800.00) and have appt. for Sept. 1, 2009 but I’m scared. Too much information confuses me about best choice. Hope for the best…..

17. anna says:

Hello,
    I have had rosacea now for about 4 years, and am now 41. I have had a lot of laser treatments, but i haven’t gone for some time , because of the expenses. I recently bought the Hairmax premium laser comb.I am loosing hair . Today i used it on my jaw, for a short while, since it was itching, thinking if it did not help, it would not harm either. The itching stopped right after. Is there anyone who knows about it? Or has tried it as well?

18. Rosemary Coyle says:

I had IPL a couple of years ago with not much success but am now trying again with a different practitioner who is also giving me a very light skin peel beforehand which is apparently very gentle and suitable for rosacea. I have had 2 sessions 3 weeks apart and am due for my third next week. I was so scared that I asked for a local anaesthetic to apply beforehand but they refused saying that the tolerance of the sensation is a good indicator of the level at which to set the machine. I braved it nervously and started off at level 24 on the first session which was absolutely fine. Hardly felt anything. ( I am a complete baby) Second session was up to 26 and that was also fine. No pain…just a couple of slightly uncomfortable zaps on sensitive areas…much like flicking an elastic band against the face but not hard and only made me flinch a little on a couple of zaps. At its absolute worst the sensation is probably like having a hot just extinguished match stick to your skin for a second. It just feels more scary because you have stickers covering your eyes and you are never sure which zaps are going to be the ones that make you flinch. 80% of the zaps were nothing. My friend commented how good my skin looked after the first session and it feels and looks even better now. I can’t wait to ‘zap’ it further on session 3. Highest setting for me is 32 ( I have v.fair skin that tans very slightly). I am having the treatment in my lunch hours and go back to work afterwards with no after affects. It helps if the practitioner that you have is pleasant and understanding.If anyone wants to know where I am having the treatment, please let me know.

19. Miss Echo says:

IPL was a terrible decision for me–it made my skin very saggy. I just compared two photos–one taken a week before 5 IPL treatments and one taken after about 6 weeks of treatment–I look a lot older! It changed the way my skin reacts–now my skin is paper thin, bleeds easily, and flakes constantly when it is not broken out.
    Do not do this.

20. Colleen says:

I only had about 3-4 treatments about 2 yrs ago and I, too, noticed my skin lost elasticity – or something – afterwards. To be honest the treatments did not improve my redness enough enough for me to want to pay £350 a pop for more.
    What I have realised from doing a 3-week detox (CLEAN by Dr Junger) is that rosacea is directly related to toxins and the bowel. If you have a clean bowel, your rosacea is almost non existent. Combine clean eating (see the ‘elimination diet’ CLEAN) with this skin care regime which after 10-15 yrs of suffering like the rest of you, I have found ACTUALLY works: 1) facewash of your choice, but I used Checks and Balances by Origins 2) Weil for Origins Mega Mushroom Treatment Lotion (it’s like a toner, but does not irritate, great for getting that toned and refreshed feeling after wash) 3) Weil Mega Mushroom Face Lotion (like a serum) 4) then skip the rest of the Mega-Mushroom products and use Eucerin Anti-redness NIGHT cream -labeled ‘for rosacea’ in the USA, I think – I use it during the day and put on anti-redness spf 15 (without green pigment – hard to find) on top for sun protection.) This works and you will notice an immediate difference. Also hydro colonics work wonders. It’s all about the bowel!!!

21. L says:

I was diagnosed with Rosacea in 2003, very few pimples/pustules – but terrible flushing that has gotten worse and more unpredictable in the last 6 months – even avoiding triggers has stopped being effective. I have been in the throes of a flush since Monday and am going for my first IPL photofacial session tonight. I’m currently pinkish with some mild stinging/itchiness – so I’ll report back later this week on how the treatment went and what the after effects are like. It’s being performed by a GP and is not covered by insurance, 375$ per session and have been told I will likely need 5.

22. Jeff says:

HI..

I have a question. First of all, I have had rosacea for about 8-10 years. I have tried a lot of different things, but have noticed in the past couple of years that ANY time I take steroids or antibiotics, my face gets bright red and is hot and burns. I always thought that anti-biotics were supposed to help. I am on antibiotics now for a sinus infection and my face looks like a lobster.
    Does anyone out there have the same problem with antibiotics of steroids?
    Thanks!

23. Gabby says:

I have suffered with Rosacea for the past 15 years. I am now 38. The worst treatment I have been given is a steroid cream. (The doctor misdiagnosed me with having eczema). I ended up with a swollen tight face that burnt like hell at night. Lasted for one long week. This is when I got on the net to do some research and diagnosed myself with having Rosacea. I went back to another doctor with all the info I had printed out from the net. The Doctor then agreed with my diagnoses.
    The best treatment for me is a Fraxel. I have had 2 treatments to date. After the first treatment my rosacea disappeared. I had a second treatment because it was recommended about 11 months ago. The Rosacea has only just come back after a year of having clear skin. I am going to try IPL as it is a fraction of the cost. If that does not work I will book myself in for another Fraxel.
    It has been a great help reading everyones posts,….Cheers!!!

24. Nick says:

I have been diagnosed with rosacea, I have had cystic acne since 15 yo I am now 35. Im thinking where the heck did rosacea come from. Anyway Laser treatments completely cured my acne and Medical grade silicone injections solve those deep scars. and two years later I have to deal with this. Anyway I have never been to a spa like storefront for laser or light treatments and never will. sure maybe a chimp can work a laser machine but why risk it!!!!!!

1. Board certified MD with have the experience and knowlege to spot potential problems before , during and after your proceedures,

Becky the part time college student who just learned how to use the machine 3 hours before your treatment will not!!!!!!!!

2. Doctors have better malpractice insurance in the event you need to sue for horrible results.

Spa salons might just might depending what part of the counrty you live in a General Business Liability Policy with a maximun 500,000 and I bet laser is not listed on there policy so your shit out of luck.

spa salons and doctors charge practicaly the same amount, and some spas have two for one and coupons
    dont trust your skin to coupons and half price deals . you do get what you pay for. Find a good MD and stick with them I am lucky I found one that has my 100% trust and loyalty.

Laser and light tratments have come along way and help, sometimes cure your ailment, stop browsing the web for miracle creams , pill and organic crap you will pay a fortune for diet fads.

25. Danielle says:

Hi, I’m 33 and in Sydney, Australia. I have just been diagnosed with rosacea – I just thought I had broken capillaries! I went for 2 IPL quotes and am quite confused. The first offered a quantum laser and gave me a test patch. However they said it would remove the capillaries but the redness of my skin would remain.

The second quote was for IPL at a different salon. She said she could remove the rosacea but not the small capillaries. I don’t know what to do.

My husband wants me to forget about it – he thinks I will be disappointed. He thinks I should just cover it up with make-up.

I can handle the pain but am scared about side-effects of the laser (eg scabbing of underlying pigmentation?)

Please, can someone help me? I really hate the way I look. Thank you.

26. Julia says:

Danielle,

I have a light case of rosacea and have for several years. I also have some melasma on my forehead. My dermatologist recommended IPL for the redness. I have also been to a medical spa for the removal of the dark spots. Different laser frequencies can treat different symtoms. I would definitely ask a derm before committing to a treatment option. As far as I know the IPL can treat the redness, but my medical spa has also used the same laser, but different frequency to treat broken capilaries. The scabbing in my case last only a few days and does not hurt.

Hope this helps.

Julia

27. Sierra says:

I have had IPL a good number of times and yes my skin looks fantastic and a healthy brown either the next day (when done by a dermatologist) or a week later when done by a beautician at a salon….

Problem is it is back to a light shade of pink within about 3 weeks.

So I am just doing it when I have money or a special occasion coming up and using fake tan in between to give me more of a golden glow as opposed to pinkness.

28. Jude says:

I have done 3 IPL sessions now for Rosacea. It has made quite a big difference. The technician took fotos on my first session before she started and did a comparison yesterday with me. Im not nearly as red. Yes, it hurts.
    Someone mentioned a blow torch held to your face!! it is a hot sharp burning pain but it doesnt linger. Over my face she does about 12 zaps. I only recently found out about Rosacea and my red face seemed to be getting worse year by year so to have it diagnosed and find this helpful site has been huge for me.

I live in New Zealand and the cost per treatment thru a CACi clinic is $200. You generally need 4 to 6 depending on your severity.

29. Jude says:

Also, really check out who is administering the treatment as they can burn and scab you. Ask how long they have been personally using the machine. The lady I use is the trainer for NZ Caci clinics in IPL so knows what she is doing…so do your homework first before having the treatment. Good luck everyone. Hope it makes a difference to you all.

30. rosie says:

I’ve had rosacea for most of my life (am now 42). Until abut 3 months ago, it was just hot/sore/flushing. I have been having IPL for it for a couple of years, with great effect – the IPL, after an initial strong reaction, quickly relieves the redness, and complexion looks normal. Recently it became acne rosacea – it’s been getting worse and worse, horribly inflamed and painful. Last week I had awful purple buboes all over my face. I really should have taken pics, because after one treatment with IPL, the acne has vanished and my skin looks almost normal. A miracle.

31. Jake S says:

For those of you out there that are reading this and know how to treat blushing/flushing using or IPL or have successfully rid themselves of blushing using IPL or Nd:Yag i would appreciate if you could answer a few questions i have, because i am having trouble finding the right info on the web. To cut a long story short i have mild/moderate rosacea and have had 4 treatments with the Lumenis IPL and have noticed and 80% improvement in permanent redness but the blushing and flushing still remains (although it has decreased by about 10%). So my questions are:

1. What are the best and most effective filters and IPL settings that completely destroy superficial, medium depth and DEEP vessels??

2. Is the triple-pass technique the best way to be treated??

3. What are the vessels that cause blushing? Is it the deepest vessels?

4. How do you get the deep vessels (blushing and flushing vessels) to pre-flush?

5. What is the best machine for blushing, IPL Lumenis or Nd:Yag 1064 or other?

6. How do you get the superficial vessels to pre-flush?

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could answer all or any of these questions or give me some more info.

Cheers.

32. Sara says:

I just have to say that I think Colleen is really onto something BIG. I have mild rosacea, I always just thought it was acne, but it has been giving me trouble (more than usual) lately. I, too, feel that my rosacea flair-ups have everything to do with my food sensitivities, and my gut being out of whack. My digestive system is unhappy, and it is showing up on my face in a horrible way!

Go Colleen! I’m going to try your tips! I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head.

33. janet says:

I believe diet plays a part in how your skin looks. I have had rosacea for a long time but no breakouts until we moved to FL & I started to play tennis & golf. I am 57 & have terrible breakouts on my chin & around my nostrils. Oracea & Doryx did not work for me. Now I am on Minocycline & I will see how that goes. Protopic is an ointment from the doctor & that seems to calm the pimples overnight. Your comments about the IPL (AFT skin rejuvenation) have given me hope. I will schedule the first treatment & let you know how it goes.

Thank you for this blog!

34. Maureen says:

I couldn’t agree more with Colleen and Sara.Watching your diet and supporting your gut is so important. My natural Path Dr. always says when you see things you don’t like on your face it is usually coming from the gut, and it is trying to get out of your body. I remember when I gave up coffee for one year, the blood vessels on my cheeks were almost gone, but because I need that coffe fix in the am I went back drinking it. But now I will have only one cup of coffee or green tea and it sincerely helps.Caffine rather it be coffee or pop(which I do not drink) destroys your B- vitamins which are water soluable and you see blood vessels on the cheeks. Limit these and you will see a great difference eat healthy food, no sugar limit alcohol ect.
    Good Luck to everyone
    ~Maureen

35. Mini says:

Hello Everyone,

I have suffered from rosacea for about 10 years along with sebhorric dermatitis. It has been very difficult because I basically ruined my face through electrolysis. Prior to that I had great skin and what not. Anyway, I have done 5 fraxel treatments this year. I can say that it did help with my bumps. They are better but not entirely gone. As far as the redness goes, haven’t seen much improvement in that. So I am considering doing a rosacea laser with the same dr I did the fraxel with. I’m not sure what he will suggest. But I am scared reading some of your stories. I guess its hard to say what will work. Some treatments seem to work for some people and others not so much. Anyways, good luck everyone!

36. jp says:

can anyone help with rosacea on the face,chest,dermatitis and dermatagraphyia over the whole body been to several dermatologists need help

37. Taylor says:

Heyy!
    I have had rosacea for 2 years. I am 18 years old and it bugs me a whole lot! It was a lot worse at the starting and would get red with the things i eat, when i laugh and pretty much anything. I have always wondered why it even existes? It is such a random thing to get? I would probably try IPL surgery but i cant afford it. I am going to a derm in around 2 months, so hopefully he can point me on a good path to help me out? Right now, I use Rosasol Metro Cream on my face every morning and every night and it keeps my skin at a pink colour with a couple tiny blood vessels showing. This disease is very irritating on how i want to live my life. I dont understand why there isnt way more research happening on this skin disorder. It is hurtful having to continuously apply cream to my face in order for me to look somewhat appealing. Ive tried a bunch of things like, omega capsules, l-lysine, milk thistle, vitamin a, vitamin e, vitamin c and more. They only one i saw any change with the vitamin a because it seems to stop the papules and pastules from appearing. I also have ocular rosacea and i am using Tobradex for it and it seems to work quite well but I need to routinely do it or it comes back in no time. I have a major question too, I have seen talk about lack of B vitamins causing a red face..? If i take a B complex vitamin, will my face show improvement because I am getting a source of that vitamin in my diet? PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING THAT REALLY WORKS, TELL ME!! I would really appreciate it.

Thanks 🙂

38. janet says:

As a follow-up I want to let you know I did go ahead & had 2 IPL treatments (AFT skin rejuvenation). The topical gel applied works well so you do not feel much just a slight tingling. The treatment is approx 15 -20 min. My brown sun spots were removed & the papules/pustules have almost disappeared. I have had 2 treatments.

Prior to the IPL, I looked into the Fraxel Laser but after reviewing the data, I felt it was quite abrasive.

I have been on Minocycline for three months. It is suppose to keep the inflammation at bay. Does it, I am not sure.

BTW: IPL Laser cost was approx $450 for the face only.

I do not believe any one thing works. I feel it is a combination of things. I eat a whole plant foods diet (strictly organic) & I have not noticed any difference from when I was a vegetarian. However, one’s lifestyle plays a large part. Since I live in FL, exercise & play tennis I understand & accept that I will have good days & not so good days.

There is no miracle cure.

I am grateful we have this blog to share. Live Your Best Life!

39. janet says:

My new regime now consists of Kyolic Garlic supplements – 2 with every meal. This is an alternative approach since it is not a good idea to be on antibiotics for a prolong period of time. After 30 days i will start Oil of Oregano supplements since Oregano (not the kind you put on your food) is known to combat fungus. Many alternative doctors feel rosacea is indeed a fungus!

Check out Dr Cass Ingram’s book “The Cure is in The Cupboard “2008” edition. I was a non-believer until my girlfriend suggested i should treat rosacea as a fungus and to go after it with antifungals (such as garlic, olive of oregano, olive leaf extract, caprylic acid and probiotics).

The antifungal herbs are all in capsule or pill form and should be taken on a rotation schedule. When I’m done with a bottle of garlic then I move on to one of the others, and keep rotating. Funny thing about these though, it makes it flare up (Herkzimer effect). It sometimes gets worse before it gets better.

The fungus doesn’t want to leave so it tries to resist, but if you are persistent it will get better. Hang in there during this time. These are all natural herbs so shouldn’t interfere with any meds you are taking. You may eventually feel like you can use less meds.

My friend first started taking olive leaf extract because he heard it would help with chronic sinusitis, allergies, and his terrible snoring problem… and it has. First he noticed that he didn’t need to get his allergy shots every week, and he didn’t need to take his Allegra prescription every day. Eventually, he stopped doing both. His snoring stopped, his dandruff cleared up, and his allergic reactions to animals and pollen became almost nonexistent. He takes nothing but the olive leaf extract to this day.

My girlfriend had a red rash on both sides of her neck, which was probably a type of rosacea. It was very red, but she just kept taking garlic capsules and oregamax and eventually it went away. (Remember, things get worse before they get better and it did.) No more dandruff, chronic sinus problems, gout, iritable bowel, indigestion, and she probably had chronic fatigue and fibermyalgia. Lots of things started to get better. Poor thing she was a mess! These things don’t bother her any more. I think she had too many antibiotics in her lifetime and was overrun with yeast.

Everyone should be taking probiotics, too. It restores good gut flora. You have to have the right balance of good and bad bacteria in your gut. Don’t take them at the same time as your antifungal. Take them at least 4 hours apart. Probiotics helped my girlfriend get over the pernecious anemia and to make more B12 on her own. No more giving herself B12 shots!

I use Nutraceutical Sciences Institute Probiotics 15-35. I order all my vitamins, etc. through Vitacost.com. The price is so reasonable and they ship right out.

My one health book that I have here, says that rosacea sometimes clears up in 2 – 4 wks after 5 milligrams of vitamin B2 is taken at each meal, but it may persist inspite of an adequate diet.

I hope this was helpful. Good Luck!

40. Carole says:

I am 43 years old and have had rosacea for about 6 years now and tried the antibiotics and prescribed creams with no effect so stopped using these about 4 years ago and have been trying every cosmetic cream and those available on rosacea websites etc. Everything seems to irritate or burn my face. I have had 3 IPL treatments – one per month since January and to date they seem to work. Also I started using aloe vera gel 99.9% about a month ago and it really takes the itch out of my face and the dry flaky skin on my forehead is softer and smoother. It has reduced the redness dramatically. The only problem was that I found I still needed a moisturiser so I tried aloe soothing night cream from the body shop (the day cream irritated me). This also works so well and this is the first moisturiser that does not make me red at all.

You can find both of these inexpensive products at

http://www.hollandandbarratt.co.uk – aloe vera gel
    http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk – aloe soothing range

It is great to wake up every morning at last and look forward to looking in the mirror again.

Hope this helps.