Favourite Over The Counter and Home Treatments

Do you have a favourite over the counter treatment or home remedy for your rosacea ?

Depending on health insurance and access to doctors and pharmacies, prescription treatments are out of the reach of many rosacea sufferers.

So what can you try as a rosacea treatment that is easy to find at a drugstore, is cheap and available without a prescription ?

Even better what treatments can you make at home as a quick remedy. Is there anything ?

Please help your fellow rosacea sufferers with your best discoveries of treatments that you can get without a prescription or without visiting a doctor.

Here are some suggestions that I have collected that seem to be popular with members of the rosacea support group;

Prosacea

Prosacea is a topical gel, available over the counter at stores like Walgreens. It is also available on the internet at cvs.com. It contains 10% sulphur. The jury is still out, but reading prosacea user reviews, it looks to me like we should include prosacea as a bona fide rosacea treatment.

Rosacea-LTD

Rosacea-LTD is a topical treatment made of various compressed salts. It worked well for me to reduce papules and pustules and it is available only over the internet (which I guess counts as over the counter). This treatment is not cheap like many of the other suggestions in this listing, but I thought it definitely should be included as an over the counter treatment. For more information have a read of Rosacea-LTD User Reviews

Disclosure: rosacea-ltd is a site sponsor of rosacea-support.org

Aspirin

There has been some introductory research suggesting that a daily low dose of aspirin may help with rosacea swelling and flushing. For some it may lead to more flushing, but as an easily available and cheap over the counter treatment, aspirin may be worth a try.

Rosacea Swelling Relief Regime

Dr. Linda Sy has suggested in her rosacea swelling relief regimen, that there are some OTC meds that are easier (than prescription drugs) on the system such as: aspirin (blocks prostaglandin synthetase), antihistamines – ex. Chlor-trimeton which blocks H1 receptors; Cimetidine (Tagamet) which blocks H2 receptors. Pyridoxine (vit.B-6) has also been found to be helpful as a prophylaxis. She has sugested the following over the counter regime;

at Bedtime;

• 1 baby aspirin
  • 1 Chlor-Trimeton (an antihistamine)
  • 1 Tums (to offset the gastro effects of the aspirin)

and in the AM;

• a B complex vitamin with 50mg of B-6, but without Niacin (niacinamide is ok).
  • 1 Tagamet

during a flush;

• apply a cool (not cold) compress to the face
  • do deep breathing 10 times slowly.

Flaxseed Oil

Studies have shown that flaxseed oil may help improve acne and for some other Omega 3 sources like Fish Oil may offer additional benefits.

When Dr. Eric Jones was asked about the possibility of any nutritional link to ocular rosacea symptoms he responded “that here are studies with just dry eye, where flaxseed oil and omega 3s are quite effective. Foodwise, everyone is individual. There have been some surveys, and everyone was different. Some said spicy foods, others said hot drinks, alcohol, cold drinks. People have to find their individual triggers, I think.”

Nasalcrom

As an alternative to the steroid based nasal sprays, something like Rynacrom or Nasalcrom may help with allergic rhinitis and relieve other allergic symptoms. Certainly if you think your rosacea symptoms are allergy related this is worth trying. Even if it only relieves other chronic symptoms is might help you get your head around the other symptoms that occupy your thinking.

Afrin / Oxymetazoline

It is early days yet, but some preliminary research and some rosacea sufferers are reporting reductions in redness from using topicals such as Afrin. Rosacea sufferers are cautioned against applying Afrin directly to their skin as it is actually for allergic rhinitis so contains ingredients which may be irritating to rosacea sufferers.

Keep an eye out for updates related to Oxymetazoline based treatments like Afrin. See this forum posting Afrin cure ? for some more information. There are many over the counter products that contain oxymetazoline.

Cleansers and Moisturizers

OK officially cleansers and moisturizers aren’t rosacea treatments. This is a bit of a step backwards for rosacea sufferers. Once you understand that a gentle cleansing and moisturising regime is a good basis for beating rosacea, you are already off to a good start.

Make your own Cleanser at Home

We know from a recent rosacea news article that colloidal oatmeal (Avena sativa) has interesting cleansing, moisturizing, buffering, soothing, protecting and anti-inflammatory properties.

Want to try something natural, perhaps something that you know exactly what it contains because you have made it yourself ? Some of the highlights from the Homemade Mixes community forum include simple natural sunscreens, licorice treatments, a honey cleanser and more.

Colloidal Oatmeal

Officially `Colloidal’ oatmeal is defined as a product made from grinding and processing whole oat grain with strict requirements on the particle size and fat content. In the past rosacea support group members have made their own cleansing masks with oatmeal and water. An extra bonus is that it can sop up flakes associated with seborrheic dermatitis.

Jojoba Oil

I have found that a small amount of jojoba oil blends in really well on wet skin and gives an excellent moisturized feel to my skin. Jojoba oil is cheap and easy to find in health food stores. We do know that jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory properties so it could be an ideal over the counter product.

Epsom salts or Milk of Magnesia

Milk of magnesia is a mildly alkaline suspension of magnesium hydroxide and has been known to be used topically for canker sores. Other `folk’ usage of topical milk of magnesia is for acne, seborrheic dermatitis, and oily skin. It is thought that this is a low risk treatment, it certainly is a cheap option. See Epsom salts or Milk of Magnesia actually works ? for more information.

A final warning

Please do be careful with products that you can get over the counter. Just because something is available without a prescription doesn’t mean it is even safe for rosacea skin. For example some OTC products might secretly (or quietly) contain steroids. As we now know, over the counter steroids can cause steroid induced rosacea.

Go for It !

OK, so I have made my list, please give some more suggestions below in the comments.

1. Mike Micari says:

I found a product on the internet that is all natural called combray that contains grape seed oil and only one other ingredient. I have been using this product for about two months along with monodox antibiotic at 75mg and it has helped my rosacea a great deal. My friends and family comment on the big positive difference… Just thought I would share this as it may help a fellow rosacea sufferer…

2. thanks for article how do you beat the flushes??
    light pulse box

3. susan says:

Great article. Have got some options to try!
    Thank you!

4. Costas says:

I suffer from Rosacea for the last 15 years or so and in addition I have a very bad keloid from an old gall bladder operation, in my chest.
    For the last 10 years or so I have been experimenting with oregano oil for both and I can see some promising results.
    For rosacea (mainly in my face (around the nose) I use one drop of oregano oil which I place on my finger and then using a sterile glass rod (I use the tip of a small glass eyedropper which I keep in 99% alcohol) I pick up tiny amounts of the oil (from my finger) and press it lightly on the rosacea papules. It burns for a few seconds and I am especially careful to keep far from my eyes. After a few applications (and a few days) the treated papules disappear or become better. They may return sooner or later in the same or another location. Read more under keloid below.

My keloid probably has a cyst under the stitches and from time to time it erupts with ugly visual effects. I went to 10 plastic surgeons and each applied a different technique which only made my keloid worst. Then after reading a lot about oregano oil I started applying it directly on the skin in the stitched area, and massaging it very hard. Soon the inflammation disappears and I am back to normal. Unfortunately it comes back in a few months. I then started taking oregano oil also internally started from 1 drop under the tongue and progressed to 3, 1 to 2 times per day. If I use it on a daily basis both by keloid inflammation and my rosacea are getting much better. Oil of oregano is a strong nature antibiotic, so I am very much concerned about taking high doses and I end up not using it every day.
    I am a male in my early 70s and I cannot recommend to anyone, the use of oregano oil without spending a significant amount of time on the net to explore all the pluses and minuses. I am using oil of oregano available from a Canadian company at: http://www.wildoiloforegano.com/ They have plenty of information, but please explore the Internet much deeper. Be very careful on the thymol content of the oil. It must be very low, or it could be dangerous. In any case if you try it, you are on your own and you must realize that you are experimenting. At my age I can afford to do that, judge your own case.

5. Ben Guay says:

Hi, how are you? I am over 55 and I flush quite frequently and I try to keep out of warm places but that is not possible. I was wondering is there anything I could do to easy the face flushing.
    Suffering bad from red face

6. M.Carmen says:

I have doing my own investigation on Rosacea and Demodex, it makes a lot of sense. I have suffered for many years with not only the terrible look and redness,inflamation,hives,unable to socialize myself at times because did not want to be rejected or critized. I have found a few things that can help many of the millions of wonderful people out there. .. it work for me. I have stop to eat any of the multigrain breads, yolk, soy bean related products, spicy foods, acids foods like (tomatoes, no spaghetti sauces, vinager, salad dressings, licor, sodas, chocolates, almonds, peanuts of any kind, cottage cheese, etc, etc,etc. All my meals must be grown naturally, wash them good, steam your veggies like broccoli and carrots, I love my spinach and organic lettuce, must have avocados and boiled your eggs… I make sure to eat only the egg white, spread light mozarella cheese adding grilled chicken or a grilled white fish…no spices and light on the salt and barely, barely, barely natural garlic. Add certain vitamins like B6, B12, biuld up my Immune System. I continue to get results every day with my skin.
    My skin is being wash with a Aveda Outer Peace Cleanser for oily skin and acne and rise always with cold water. I use the Aveda Pads to decloged pores, I use as close to 100% alcohol after I wash my face and rub with a piece of cotton all over face and neck. I finish with Metrogel cream or Rozex (metrodinazol). Exercising the tecniques for stress relive have made my life much happier. Until then…I will continue this regimen because I do not want to be called at the beauty shop “The beauty and the beast”. My skin is so smooth now. All the simptoms I had in the past are dimish and 85% of the “Beast” is gone. I will keep it up.
    I do not want to suffer again.

• B Vasquez says:

Carmen can you please tell me what products I can and can’t eat, I appreciate it very much. Thank you

7. marymary says:

Hi everyone,
    I have just started taking 6 tums a day, and i have to say my skin looks better. After reading online about acidity, i wnt to whole foods and purchased strips to test urine -very acidic. after adjusting water to proper ph and two days of tums retested urine and it came back ideal.facial bumps have definately gone down but not flushing. may try baby asprin. also, i am on metrogel-better than metrolotion, and have had great success with pdl laser treatments but very $$.(400-500) also tried ipl laser cheaper (250) but not as effective. if i could afford it, i would get pdl done every 4 months. i have to say if you look really bad as i did before the 1st treatment-spring for it even if you have to go into debt as i did. I am sure a cure will be found soon so many people have this. Try the tums, cheap, good for you anyway and nothing to loose.

8. marymary says:

Oh, one more thing i almost forgot, bare minerals makeup of the hokey infomercial is a LIFESAVER!!
    you can’t even see it and its a powder so men could get away with it and helps redness. i purchased it at sephora and my sister did at nordstroms.

9. David says:

I am a 41 y/o male suffering from rosacea symptoms for ~ 2 yrs now. I also suffer from gastritis/acid indigestion (strangely for 2 yrs also). Stress has precipitated both throughout a 2 year divorce. I have never had symptoms of either before the divorce action. My doctor gave me metrogel for my skin and prilosec for my stomach. The prilosec works pretty well but no success for the rosacea with the gel. I also have some social anxiety which increases the flushing. I exercise daily and am not willing to give this up but it to increases the flushing. Any suggestions?

10. marymary says:

Ok, I gave up on the tums, but, i have to say without a doubt the #1 thing that has helped has been pulse dye laser treatments – with the outbreaks and the flushing. these treatments destroy the capilaries on the surface of the skin so gradually you become less red, and there is also no place for the pimples to form. I had horrible horrible flushing problems, and that definately took care of most of that – it still happens, but not as bad. Also, the places on my cheek that still are pretty red i have had lasered again and again, but it is about the size of a dime now, not to bad. Get the pdl laser treatment – it is the best. I live in massachusetts and go to the Harvard Vanguard Wellesley office, and could not find this particular laser offered anywhere but at a dermatologist. I spend about $500. twice a year – but well well worth it. I have had cheper ipl and pdl treatments done, helpful but not as effective. Get the pulse dye laser treatment – you will be much happier!

11. Matt says:

I’ve had decent results with Prosacea, it seems to help calm things down when I’m having a breakout but the smell of it keeps me from using it a lot. Still, it’s worth trying out and having on hand for breakouts.

12. Nancy says:

Penaten cream for babies diaper rash works well for Rosacea – just dab it on very lightly and it covers up the redness, then apply light makeup.

13. Michelle says:

I am trying to find out if what is happening to me is Rosacea….I was sent to an allergist, My dr thought I had a contact dermatitis….We recently moved and do not yet have medical insurance…I happens every so often, to the left side of my face under my eye, near my nose/a little around my mouth and chin/in between my eyes above my nose…the right side of my face is fine!! It swells and there are dozens of tiny tiny what looks like white heads…I dont know where it comes from…I dont flush, and it is usually gone in 2 days or less…Occasionally my right eye swells and is itchy, but not at the same time my face is swelled…And my eye is better within minutes…All of this started happening to me within the last year when I started a new birth control…I have stopped the birth control, months ago…Was wondering if anyone had anything that may help answer my questions?? Thx

14. Christine says:

calamine lotion used externally helps skin lesions associated with rosacea.

15. Sheryl says:

I am 52 yrs old and have suffered from rosacea for over 10 yrs now. Last week I had a horrible outbreak of swelling, redness, and unsightly papules across my face. I was, quite frankly, embarrassed to leave my house looking like some kind of monster.

I read on here about Prosacea, and decided to check it out. Along with beginning to take flaxseed oil tablets (for the rosacea and I’ve read it is also beneficial in weight loss). In just 4 days my skin is visibly clearer, and I’ve been very pleased with the Prosacea product. My only complaint is, (even though it says it’s unscented) it has a very heavy sulpher smell that I worry is going to offend others around me. Of course, the main ingredient in Prosacea is sulpher, so of course it’s probably going to smell like it. If they could somehow mask that smell, I would consider this stuff a miracle worker.

16. Tina says:

I was diagnosed with Rosacea about 7 years ago. At the time, I was 37. I had dry patches and my skin was red and inflamed most of the time.

My cosmetologist recommended a Gylocolic Cleanser and a Gylcolic cream by Jan Marini. I also use Jan Marini’s 30spf mosturizer. Within 2 months the symptoms went away. I have been using it for 7 years now. I have no redness and my skin is no longer dry. With the exception of maybe a couple small veins, my skin looks great. People are shocked when I say I have Rosacea. The Jan Marini products not only improved my skin but kept it from getting any worse.

I highly recommend these products. The 3 products combined cost is about $120. But they last at least 6 months. You can buy them in some Spas or Salons. Or you can buy them online directly from Jan Marini.

Also, I use Bare Minerals makeup. Keeps my skin healthy, and clear.

17. Gav grantham says:

I’m sick of my rosacea,my face is always burning red.wish there wad a cheap solution

18. sarah says:

I saw sherlys post about the prosacea and flax seed oil combo and decided to try it. It has worked better then anything else i have tried over the past year! Its been about two weeks and i’ve noticed a huge improvement! So thank you Sherly!

19. B.Hassan says:

I’ve been using this product called Face Doctor. It’s a bar soap that has seabuckthorn oil in it. It doesn’t heal your rosacea but i find that it sort of calms it down. It tends to dry out your skin so you need to moisturize afterwards. Maybe this info may help someone. I’ve tried ZenMed which i didn’t find worked for me..I tried Prosacea which didn’t make my skin better, but didn’t make it worse either…so i quit that. i’m at a point of not trusting these products such as rosacea ltd and what not. i wanted to know how effective Rosacea LTD was for pustules (i got lots on my cheeks/forhead)?

20. JJ says:

I tried iodine on my face last night and it took away a lot of redness and seemed to clear my pores too! Please research iodine-providine, it’s been around a long time, is cheap; about 6 dollars for a bottle that should last maybe a year, and kills bacteria and fungus so it should destroy the mites too. Leave it on for about an hour, then rinse and you should notice a difference right away.

In the morning, I used it again wihout washing my face and my face looked clear and clean. Since it’s a brownish-orange, it isn’t something you can leave the house with, but an hour even once a day should show improvements.

At least it’s more natural than some of the products everybody is using, which for me usually makes my face worse and dry and more red.

The only thing I use for a moisturizer is Jojoba oil mixed with water. Jojoba is the closest thing to our own body oil and actually slows down our sebum from being in over drive.

I think using chemicals on the face especially in OTC moisturizers and washes is prolonging or promoting skin irritation and that’s why nothing seems to work long term.

Taking a bath with 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide added always kept my face and skin clear, but now I don’t have a bathtub so my body hasn’t done as well.

21. gary says:

Hi is it just me or has anyone else have veins on your tip of your nose and either side? and what can cover these, im a 39 year old man.

22. JJ says:

I’ve been trying to do research on just the spider veins, it gives a different perspective from just rosacea.

Try researching “erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea,” that’s basically what spider veins are.

Broken blood vessels are caused by inflammation and weakened blood vessels. Vit C is great but very acidic on the body. Increasing your alkaline foods should help.

Covering them up could cause them to get worse. Taking anything that is anti-inflammatory should help, especially Chamomile, Lysine, Green Tea, Aloe, Licorice, Feverfew, zinc. Most of these will help topically too.

There is a dr’s study that used Silymarin (Milk Thistle) and MSM topically and results were seen in weeks. Milk Thistle detoxes the liver, so this all points to the liver again. MSM is a natural sulfur which kills germs and helps with redness and inflammation.

Some people are using Eucerin Redness Relief which has LIcorice in it, but it’s a strange color that doesn’t blend well for me.

A lot of guys are reporting that too much L-arginine is making them red and inflamed – cut out all foods that are high in that, especially nuts and chocolate. (That’s probably why L-lysine has helped some people, it counteracts the arginine in the body).

Arnica is very helpful for reducing spider veins, not sure how it will work on the face area. Should be taken sublingually and topically for best results.

There is also a creme (Derma-E brand) that is sold for spider veins, that might help too but it’s a creme so it can cause zits.

The spider veins usually get worse if the body isn’t detoxed.

23. Nancy says:

Hi, I agree with the other Nancy, the penaten cream works great! I have been frustrated for the past 7 months with rosacea acne on my chin and around my mouth, its made me avoid social situations. I have tried numerous things including meds from doctor as well as prescription cream which werent too bad, but still had horrible acne. I decided to try the penaten cream and so happy I did, my chin has looked the best it has since Sept. I just put it on when I am at home and let it dissolve in on its own. So far so good!!

24. Cathy says:

Well I looked at many different ideas for treating Rosacea and saw this one, at first I thought this can’t be right but tried it and have had no problems since, redness gone and no breakouts since.

I have been using Head & Shoulders Classic Clean (anti dandruff shampoo) for washing my face, I put a small amount in my hands rub it on then rinse off usually with cold water, then use mosturiser, this realy does work.

It is to do with the ZINC in the shampoo that works so I assume any Anti Dandruff Shampoo that has ZINC will work in the same way, make sure it is the CLASSIC CLEAN not the other type.

Hope this was of help GOOD LUCK.

25. susie says:

i have tried several different products, but nothing seems to work completely. if it controls the redness, it gives me pimples and vice versa. so recently i have just been using warm water and Oil of Olay… the problem has not gone away, and i guess i just decided to deal with it. i recently saw a product at the mall called Vivo Per Lei Facial Peeler. the man at the kiosk assured me it would work, but it was a little pricey and i am afraid to put anything on my skin. has any one tried it with any success?

26. Cheryl says:

The most amazing stuff I have tried is Zenmed!!! It’s about 80.00 bucks for a system of 3, very easy & it works!!! I would have spent the $ if the dr’s script would have worked but it didn’t!!! Give it a try. But maybe not every product works for everyone and you just have to keep looking for the one that works for you!! Good luck!!!

27. margaret says:

my first vist to a new dermatologist…and she said she couldnt tell i even had rosacea until i blushed! She asked what i was doing for it and i told her washing my face often , following a cleaning with alchol and then calomine lotion on flare ups and oily spots.She said to continue since it seemed to be working. I am not recommending this to anyone…everyone is an individual….just sharing what i do for my skin that works for me. Prescription medication did not work for me …it made mine worse. my solution came about from trial and error of many products. as i said before….its not a miracle cure…its just my personal remedy for my particular case of rosacea.

28. Margarita says:

I recently had a terrible outbreak
    And was starting to get depressed at the thought of spending the holidays with a Red face full of pimples. My usual medication was not working. A friend who is into natural products suggested I use Vicks Vaporub on my face!
    I was so desperate for relief that I tried this which I thought was insane! I did a small area in one cheek and one side of the nose before going to bed . I woke up in the middle of the night from the itching on the rest of my face and when I looked in the mirror I noticed the area where I had put on the Vicks was looking better and did not itch. At that point I put Vicks on all my face and went back to bed . I woke up
    And was surprised to find out my skin had improved 90%!!!!Last night I did the same and my skin is almost back to its normal state.
    I know it sounds crazy, but it worked for me and I feel so much better that I wanted to share my experience on hope it can help others!
    ( make sure to keep the Vicks away from the eye area)

29. kristina says:

Margarita!!! I am going to try the Vicks!!! Thank you for sharing, I will let everyone know if it worked. I am off to the store NOW. :o)

30. Margaret says:

Margarita, i have been trying your vicks vapor rub remedy….i have seen no large improvement ….but i havent seen any worsening…..i will continue this remedy until i feel its doesnt work anymore. One more positive is that my skin is softer to the feel since i started this vicks rub. and it helps my allergies. Like someone said earlier in a post ….its trial and error….everyone is an individual…..now….i would like to address the mineral powders…..yes…they cover…..but i stopped using then when my MD mentioned that the jury was still out as to what the fine particles are doing to the lungs of users. There is not enough data……and so i quit using it.
    Good Luck to all rosacea sufferers and keep posting remedies…i love ’em!!!!!!!!

31. Asa says:

I found this Doctor, and is following this regimen, and it works. I also have cut out all dairy and gluten from my diet. What he recommends you can get in a healthshop, over the counter. I wrote a message to Dr. James Meschino, and that changed everything. God bless you who reads this! 🙂

32. Margaret says:

Hi again, I tried the Vicks vapor rub at nite…and i have to say i was impressed, I continue to use Calomine lotion for break outs. I dont spread it all over as it might be too drying i just use it on particular outbreak sites. and i dont put alot…just enough to lightly cover each breakout. I stopped wearing makeup. I felt that it cause my skin to itch when i had breakout and makeup on. Anyway, that is what is going on with my rosacea. I havent got the nerve to experiment anymore since i am happy with what i am doing now.

33. Asa says:

additional info…you should first check with your own doctor that you can take the wild oil of oregano and the other suppliments, and make sure you read up on the subject and do your own research. Some should not take this oil, for example if you are pregnant or are nursing and so on, so read up on it first and get all the facts so you know what you are doing. Here is another couple of links that you might find helpful, but there are lots more out there to read. For me it works. Not only is it helping me with my rosacea, my asthma is gone, and I used to use inhalors a couple of times a day before I started using the wild oil of oregano 🙂

34. Kim says:

I have found great success with the Bare Minerals Blemish Therapy for the “pimples” of rosacea. I can dab on a little at bedtime and a lot of the time they will be gone, or greatly diminished, by morning. Now if only I could find a moisturizer that truly works! Cetaphil is irritating. I feel like the dryness sometimes contributes to my redness and bumps. Sometimes my face itches so bad I’d just like to rub it off! So frustrating! I’ve also tried the Dr. Jart Ceramidin cream and Josie Marin Argan Oil. They both work short term, but the Dr. Jart cream doesn’t provide enough moisture and the Argan Oil sometimes causes redness. I can’t recommend the Blemish Therapy enough! Good luck, hope it helps someone!

35. Asa says:

have searched and searched for both a working moisture cream as well as a sun protecting cream as we are sensitive to sun light, and finally I have found something that is perfect for me, The SIMPLE series, the cream with spf 30. It’s both a moisture cream as well as a sun factor 30, the dryness and itchyness is gone from my face! 😀

36. C says:

Hi all! First let me say I’m a 48 yr old black American woman. I use prescription drugs, metrogel & adapalene cream (only spot treating because it dries my skin something terrible).

My regimen: Twice a day, morning & night. I wash my face with cetaphil (about $12 but the generic is good to $9) it’s real gentle for my face. I let it sit on my face for 5-10 mins to penetrate my skin before rinsing it off. My skin feels real soothing after I use it. Next I apply my meds & wait 10 mins to let it absorb into my skin. After which, I rub Hollywood’s tea tree oil on my face avoiding the eyes & mouth, not too much maybe 8-10 drops. I wait 5 mins then apply my moisturizer (fragrance free because fragrance irritates my face).

The tea tree oil really helps with the itching & redness & also with the flaky seborrheic dermatitis patches that I have on my forehead, right eyebrow & at my jaw line (left side).

I still have breakouts but not as severe & facing the world is not a problem. Hopefully, some of the items I mentioned can help someone, especially the tea tree oil.

Good luck!

37. Stephanie says:

CeraVe facial moisturizing lotions contain niacinimide as the 4th ingredient. I use the PM lotion because the AM one contains chemical sunscreens. If you check Beautypedia, you’ll find that Paula gives it her top rating…and it’s available at Walmart, CVS, etc, very reasonably priced. I also use Blue Emu, which I originally purchased for arthritis, on the recommendation of my son’s judo sensei. While researching it, I discovered that emu oil has both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. While there is disagreement as to whether it actually helps arthritic joints, all agree that it is an excellent carrier oil, which penetrates quickly and is very emollient. In addition to emu oil, Blue Emu contains aloe, quite a few herbal extracts like chamomile and comfrey, and vitamins A, D and E. A less expensive option to Prosacea that I’ve been using is Clearasil Adult Tinted Blemish cream. It contains 8% sulfur and 2% resorcinol. If you research, you’ll find that the combination has been found affective in helping calm the symptoms of rosacea. Resorcinol is used to reduce lumps, pustules, even warts. I’ve been using the above listed combination of products for the last couple of months and my skin looks better than it has for years. Did I mention that I’m 50 and have had rosacea for almost 30 years…so plenty of time to experiment, lol.

38. Jay says:

Hi – I have used Metrogel a few times but never seen a real improvement. Lately I have been doing the following (in addition to Metrogel but planning to drop it eventually to see what’s working), and although my redness is not completely gone, there has been a HUGE improvement: Evening Primrose Oil (two softgels daily), Super B Complex (two capsules daily), Vitamin A (one softgel daily), DermaMed Rosaderm Balm (apply affected areas 2-3 times daily), “Desert Essence Face Wash with Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi” (twice daily) and unscented SPF30 sunscreen (by Aubrey). I feel good using these products as they recommended by nutritionists to everyone for better skin and health in general (maybe except Rosaderm Balm which is for facial redness and skin circulation but it’s also an all-natural product that has the most refreshing smell in the world). This treatment seems to be working for me and I hope it will help some of you out there.

39. Erik says:

27 year old male here. Started getting rosacea about a year ago. I have tried several different things to combat my rosacea, one that has worked for me is neosporin. I use the neosporin ointment, but I understand that there is a cream. The ointment works decently, but there is still room for improvement. One major drawback is that the ointment leaves your skin looking very greasy. I plan on trying the cream to see if absorbs into the skin better. Neosporin is a topical antibiotic. I recently had strep throat and was on augmentin, which is a strong antibiotic. While I was sick, I noticed that my skin was exceptionally clear for the first time in a year or so, which has led me down the path of antibiotics for my rosacea. Unfortunately, I cannot see a dermatologist, so I am working with what I have. As soon as I went through my augmentin, my skin was back to its usual thing. I started the neosporin a few days after, and while it is not perfect, it’s a start. I plan on taking baby aspirin to see if that helps with the redness as well.

• Stephanie says:

I use the Clearasil adult tinted acne cream. It’s sulfur and resorcinol. The sulfur calms the redness and the resorcinol helps get rid of the papules. It is very effective, but also very drying. I use it on dry clean skin and let it sit for about 15 mins. Then I follow with an unscented, very emollient moisturizer. I also use a barrier sunblock, instead of a chemical one because of my skin sensitivity.

40. I havent had a real out break in years. My doctor gave me a presciption for Triamcinolone Acetonide cream. But when I looked it up it doesn’t mention rosaesa and it says it shouldn’t be used on the face without doctors orders. I’m freaking out. Has anyone ever used this? I have been very stressed lasted and this is adding to it.