My rosacea cosmetics counter tour - Lancome Wins!

A good moisturizer is an important part of caring for your rosacea skin. The choices are seemingly endless. Stop by here for the latest on rosacea moisturizers.

My rosacea cosmetics counter tour - Lancome Wins!

Postby Artist » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:56 pm

I will preface this by admitting I'm totally waffling lately. I recently wanted to try using next to nothing on my skin and now I'm trying new things. When will I learn??

I was just at the mall exploring the cosmetics counters and asking loads of questions about products for rosacea. I also looked at all the ingredients. Here's what I found:

La Prairie: Super expensive. The reps said the La Prairie "Nurturing Cream" was an amazing moisturizer for rosacea skin. After touring all the counters, I did like the ingredients in this moisturizer the best. It wasn't overrun by extracts (only a few), and it's specifically made for red sensitive skin. The ingredients appeared to all be for sensitive skin. At $190 per jar, I opted for a sample to try out first. The foundation recommended had way to many plant extracts in it for me and a bit too sheer looking.

Clinique: Tons of plant extracts, which I tend to react to. Also, one recommended for rosacea had salicylic acid in it. Even the lady at the counter was taken back by that. Salicylic acid is probably to harsh for rosacea used every day (in my opinion). I really didn't find anything by Clinique I wanted to try :( Even the rep steered me toward another counter - Lancome I think. I have read good feedback on the City Block, though.

Keihl's: The rep said the product most raved about by rosaceans was the "Centella Skin Calming Facial Cleanser". She said it's super gentle yet totally melts everything off. It is soap free, and has a few extracts in it: Aloe, Centella, Chamomile. These were very reasonable - under $20 or so. Looking at the cleanser now, I see it has Sodium Laureath Sulphate in it. That's more mild than Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, but there are several surfactants that are more mild. It was not near the top if the list of ingredients, so perhaps the concentration is low enough not to matter..

La Mer: These reps were the most enthusiastic, saying the products "Changed their lives" when referring to rosacean who had tried their moisturizer. Looking at the ingredients, though, I saw that it has arnica and alcohol denat. in it. Aren't those bad? Or, perhaps I'm overly paranoid about one or two ingredients in a formulation.. Hard to say, but I'm not sure I'll ever try this one. Anyone tried La Mer moisturizing cream? I didn't ask the price.

Lancome: I saved what I think may be the best for last. The products she suggested were the most simple and mild appearing overall: My favorite was her suggestion for foundation. She suggested their undereye concealer - no fragrance, waterproof, and extra gentle since it's made for under the eye. She applied a super, super thin layer with a soft brush and it actually looks really good - and it was under $30. It looks smooth and slightly dewy, not dry like I expected from a waterproof product. I love this so far! Anyone else use it?

I was also impressed by a cleanser that looked just like plain water called "Eu Friache(sp?) Doucer". It had very few ingredients that appeared to be very gentle and inert, and no fragrance at all. Anyone tried this? I got a sample.

Next was the Lancome UV Expert 20 Sunscreen $35. Even the Kiehl's rep saw me with this one and said it was an excellent product. The ingredients on this one look to be extremely gentle, without any plant extracts at all, and Mexoryl as the Spf. Finally, she gave me a sample of the Primordiale Night (moisturizer) and it looked to have good potential, but I was more excited about the La Prairie Nuturing Cream.

So, I'll probably spot test some of these over a period of time and report back. I hope I can use the La Prairie Nurturing Cream, the Lancome Sunscreen, and the Lancome Concealer.

Cheers!

Artist

Ps. I'm not saying plant extracts are bad. They just seem to set my particular skin off more often.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: My rosacea cosmetics counter tour - Lancome Wins!

Postby Lisamouries » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi Artist.
That was very informative and thanks for giving such a detailed description of your counter tour. I get really shy when asking about skin products at these counters for some reason and I really have to get myself motivated to ask questions. I usually prefer to be left alone and talk to the 'counter lady' (who has perfect hair and make-up) when I feel ready and have read the ingredients, (sad, I know). It took me ages to get to the Clinique counter to ask about City block, so I love the fact that your detailed account will allow me to go straight to the Lancome counter and be precise on the products I'd like samples of.
Kind regards.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks! I felt really embarrassed spouting off about rosacea at every counter, but they were super nice and I was actually impressed by their knowledge. They do have lots of customers with skin issues I'm sure.

I think I'm liking this really expensive La Prairie lotion (after three days). I'm using the free sample right now. eeek!

Also after three days I still like the concealer. It matches my skin color exactly, so I only need a tiny amount on any uneven areas.

I'll probably try the Lancome sunscreen, but will give the lotion and concealer another week or so to be sure they don't cause any issues.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:12 am

Artist wrote:... They do have lots of customers with skin issues I'm sure.

Actually, ever since I was diagnosed with this 'annoying' condition, it's amazing how much you really start paying attention to other peoples skin and the truth is I think, in the UK at least a lot of people do seem to have skin issues. Let's face it (hahaha) they wouldn't be selling all these products if we were all happy about our complexion.

I just wish I wouldn't feel that burning sensation as much to go with it, but to tell you the truth, thanks to this board I have tried RLT, Saw Palmetto and vitamin D3 which have all helped in some way and there is always someone offering a new alternative so the future feels much less bleak then it did a few years ago when I was fighting this 'thing' on my own and feeling totally stressed about it. (Hmmmm, sorry guys, that last paragraph is a bit off topic.)

Kind regards.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby sandycollie » Fri May 08, 2009 7:33 am

This was really interesting:

I use Algae could produce iridescent color effects for cosmetics. The farming of an algae species could represent a cheap and green method to produce iridescent pigment for cosmetics and packaging, according to a new study.
Last edited by Lisamouries on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link in signature to online advertising
sandycollie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Fri May 08, 2009 8:50 am

Hi Sandy.
Can you elaborate a bit more? I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
Thank you.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby LindaAnn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Hello,

I was just diagnosed yesterday with rosacea, a diagnosis I had pretty much already assumed. I am no youngster, 61, and I am already dismayed at all the information out there and who to ask or trust with what to do.Right now I've been prescribed the usual topical cream "Metrocream" that will take about 3 weeks to discover any real change. My Dr.says so far my case is 'mild' but to me, it's already annoying. I was interested in the cosmetic aspect because I work and need to look presentable. So far, my routine makeup is doing a pretty good job, despite the burning and itching (I can put up with that). You mentioned that Lancome is doing good for you. I would think speaking with someone at the cosmetic counter at the local pharmacy would help. Is this still working for you?

Thanks
LindaAnn
LindaAnn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi Linda: Welcome! So sorry you have rosacea. You have found a great place for help. With treatment and a gentle routine, look forward to improvement and getting it under control.

Yes, the trial and error has worked for me and Lancome is still in my routine. Here is what I use:

Wash with Toleraine Dermo Cleanser (http://www.dermstore.com)
Moisturize with Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream (http://www.walgreens.com)
Apply Vanicream La Base Pro (simple, protective, silicone foundation primer)
Apply Laura Mercier SPF20 Tinted Moisturizer (the one in the dark brown tube)
Spot cover rosacea areas with very, very, very tiny amount (if needed) of Lancome Waterproof Undereye Concealer, using concealer brush to blot the tiny amount on.

Now I did try a few things from the cosmetics counters that irritated my skin instantly, but I tried to focus on the end goal: to find a cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen, and concealer that worked for me. Beware of anything with a fragrance, which may likely irritate rosacea skin. You might want to get samples and list them here for comments before trying to be sure there aren't any major rosacea irritants in them (like SD alcohol, witch hazel, etc.).

I use Finacea (a rosacea topical medication) at night. I also take tetracycline (an antibiotic for rosacea) and a few supplements.

This works great for me. My biggest triggers are sun, stress, and spicy foods (chili peppers, highly spiced foods..) The trigger of sun sneaks up on me. I think I flare up from sun when I don't even realize it. Finding the Laura Mercier sunscreen has helped a lot, and I even add a hat (in addition to the sunscreen) if out in the morning sun for more than half hour or so..

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Welcome LindaAnn.
Does the metrocream sting/burn when you apply it? If so you could try metrogel although it is a pain as it can leave residue and will dry out your skin. For me the itching was linked to dry skin and the burning to redness/flushing so the Clonidine helped a lot with that as well as small doses of Saw Palmetto (which is a prostate supplements).

The Lancome I use is the one recommended by Artist which is the under-eye concealer which I apply with a small brush. When it comes to make up we all react differently so it's trial and error. You can ask for samples though, most counters are quite helpful. I wouldn't hold my breath at the local pharmacy as half the time they don't even know what Rosacea is.

I suggest you have a look at the make-up & cover-up section as there are a lot of helpful posts, from mineral make-ups to how to apply successfully.
viewforum.php?f=30

Kind regards.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby LindaAnn » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:19 pm

Hello again,

I did go to the pharmacy and the girl there was quite nice. She did know what rosacea is and said to try to stay with yellow based foundations instead of the 'green' ones right now as they are tricky to blend. All I could think of was wicked witch of the west! Would I turn green?? Who knows.

I did try the Aveeno line (3 products) but found they were not for me. My sister suggested Elizabeth Grant cleanser so I did that, she gave me hers to try, and it didn't sting or burn. I've been using that ever since. I also heard that Clinique was good. They apparently have a line for people with this skin problem. But it seems everyone says that! I haven't tried the Lancome yet but I will.

There was also an ad for a product Zenmed. Has anyone ever heard of this. I even researched it on the Better Business Bureau site and it had good reviews. It (pill) claims to have results in less than 3 weeks of taking. I'm always dubious to internet ads. Have any of you heard of it or tried it?

Thanks again everyone. I feel very welcomed here.
Linda :)
LindaAnn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Next

Return to Moisturizers