V beam: Horrendous bruising and swelling

This is a huge topic for rosacea sufferers. The choice of laser, IPL, and other light therapies is vast. The number of possible modalities and choice of machines is bewildering. Pick a sub-forum and see what you can learn.

V beam: Horrendous bruising and swelling

Postby Goingcrazy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:41 am

Well, I finally did it. I've been suffering from rosacea for about 10 years - I'm 34 now. I tried all sorts of creams supplements and even RLT - all of which may have slowed down the process over time, but after 10 years of blushing and reacting to everything I had permanent redness on the cheeks and temple area - made up of broken capillaries and random flushing etc.Anyway, comments on my redness have been constant of late: "Are you drunk?", "Are you ok?!, "Your face is red" bla bla bla ( I know it's red ffs ggrr).

I had been avoiding laser treatment for years out of fear of it - that's why I bought a red/amber light device (which I think helps to calm flair ups and reduces acne). But, I decided that enough is enough now and it's time to put my face in the hands of a doctor (I got my treatment at a hospital). To be fair, they told me there would be bruising and I'd need to wear a face mask for a week or two to cover it up (I'm a man so make-up is not for me; and I live in Japan so face masks are not unusual). At one point I asked if the bruising would be gone before a week and was told with a smile, "It's not so bad, so you'll be fine". I decided to go ahead with it.

Here I am now, the next day after having my face blasted with a v beam laser - it hurt like a bitch if you ask me. Both cheeks and temples are covered, completely, in deep purple bruising which looks frightening. Then there's my lower eyelids, they look like the inflated vocal sacks of some kind of jungle frog. My eyelids have even taken my attention away from the alien looking purple bruising.

I just wanted to share this for anyone thinking of V beam. Be prepared and aware of the possible horrendous look you'll have afterward. I often read there's no downtime? WTF??

I can only hope that when this clears that I'll actually have some improvement in my face. I'll post again sometime.

P.S. I actually have some pics of my face right now but they are seriously bad and couldn't bring myself to post them.
Goingcrazy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: V beam: Horrendous bruising and swelling

Postby Goingcrazy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:49 am

Well, here I am after two weeks and really happy with the results. The bruising cleared up in about 10 days altogether - the swelling (the worst aspect if you ask me) took a good 5 days to go down.

In the past 2 or 3 days, there have been several situations where I would normally be red but wasn't - at least not as red as previously. Drinking coffee, meetings, after shower, and general redness which was very difficult to control has subsided quite a bit. At the same time, I could feel that my face wanted to flush, so to speak. I think that slowly but surely these situations will result in a return of the broken capillaries and redness etc but I'm aware that this is the case over time. I'm due to have several treatments in the coming year anyway so I hope to see a much bigger reduction in overall redness/capillaries. I'd say a good 50-60% chunk of overall was taken away with my first treatment, which was a full-blown purpura bruising one.

However, some triggers still exist. Alcohol and heat from an air-con unit recently resulted in bright red cheeks, as bright as ever before but less blotchy and severe looking if that makes sense.

Overall, I feel like I have turned back the clocks a few years on my face and it's almost hard to believe - I fully expect it all to be back each time I look in the mirror. I know that it will always be making its way back over time but I'm getting better at managing triggers - the worst of which was social anxiety/ embarrassment, I've come so far in that respect (maybe it just comes with age?).

I'd recommend anyone going for Vbeam to go to an actual hospital/dermatologist as I did. That's about all I have to say at the moment. I'd be happy to answer any questions to anyone at all. I've got so much from browsing this place and it's a pleasure to add to the wealth of information here.
Goingcrazy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Laser & IPL Therapy