Cheer up needed!

How we view ourselves, including our face is an important part of our overall health. Use this forum to discuss psychological aspects of having rosacea such as depression and anxiety for example.

Cheer up needed!

Postby Eliza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi Everyone

This is my first post. I live in the UK and was diagnosed a year ago. starting using Metrogel prescribed by my doctor and thought things would improve so wasn't too worried. Jump forward a year to today. I'm still using the Metrogel but my Rosacea gets worse by the day. I wear sunblock, stay out of the sun and follow all the dietary advice as far as I can. The weather is gorgeous here today and I'd love to go out into my garden but I daren't. I have very prominent thread veins all over my cheeks and the pustules and pauples are everywhere, even in my hair, now and the itching is awful.

I went into town as I have to buy a dress for a colleague's wedding on Saturday - I've been putting it off as I just feel so ugly when I look in the mirror. The shop assistant asked me if I was suffering from a food allergy - I was hoping under make up that it wasn't too visible but I was kidding myself obviously and ran out of the shop without a dress and straight home on the train! This term, after 30 years, I have given up my job as a secondary school teacher as I just couldn't keep order any more and was so stressed - my horrible face has made me lose all confidence in myself and my authority and I couldn't bear the looks and comments from the teenagers any more! So I have no income but may see if I can take my pension early. I feel useless and have been crying since I got home which has made me look a thousand times worse. This is the first time I've opened up about this to anyone - I just tried to get on with it - but I really am at rock bottom. Please cheer me up!
Eliza
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Cheer up needed!

Postby JennAdeleK » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm just now seeing this post. Sorry, I recently made a move across country and have been offline for a bit.

The metrogel stopped working for me, too... so I understand. I also avoid dietary and environmental triggers, which does help. The other things I can recommend are topical aloe vera gel (pure) and sucking on ice cubes during heat waves and/or flare ups. Other than that, I would highly recommend going back to the dermatologist... or to another dermatologist... for help. There are lots of other options out there to try, and it may take a while to find what works for you. But, you should go back and see a doctor to help alleviate the severe suffering that this condition can bring.

Wishing you the very best!!!
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Re: Cheer up needed!

Postby leiawhites » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi Eliza,

So sorry to hear what you are going through. If i can give you one advice (and I know it's hard, I've been there), is to try and not stress anymore. It is incredibly difficult I know, but stress can and will make it worse. Working with kids is the most difficult and stressful thing you can do for a living, it could well be that it triggered your rosacea in the first place.
Have you ever seen a naturopath? Because sounds like the medical approach is not working. It didn't work for me either. I was put on this metrogel just the same as you, at the beginning of this misery of a condition. It made it worse for me so I stopped. I think you should do the same. I mean if it's not helping why use it for a year? I understand that things take some time to work but I wouldn't give anything more than a couple of months for a visible difference. There are things that I have tried that worked on calming it down. Have you ever tried dead sea lotions? Anything with sulfur in it? As the previous poster mention Aloe is great for calming, I personally have a plant I grow in my room and whenever I feel that it is too red, I just cut a leaf off and use it directly. Just massage it in all over and then leave it on as long as you can. Or try cucumber slices (possibly organic), that is also cooling straight from the fridge.
You said you are following a diet. What it is exactly that you eat? Maybe I can help with suggestions:) I think nutrition is key with many skin problems. Let me know and let's see where you can go from here. Or you could ask to see a dietitian on the NHS. In the meantime, just be strong! You are not alone with this. As the previous lady mentioned, there are many things you can still try, before you give up. Life's too short to give up (;)
leiawhites
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Psychological Aspects