Need some suggestions and advice

Use this forum to discuss topical rosacea treatments that are only available on prescription for eg. metrogel, klaron, plexion

Need some suggestions and advice

Postby hlcox1209 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:39 pm

I have used doxycycline 100mg once a day since January with no real benefit. I still get regular flares, so I believe it really doesn't help me much if at all.

I have used the following topicals with limited results:
metrocream (didn't really seem to help, seemed to cause more breakouts)
finacea (seemed to help quickly but then also caused dryness which may have caused the additional breakouts I seemed to get)
sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur wash and lotion 10/5 (helps but seemed to cause more small bumps and breakouts in areas I don't typically get acne, like forehead and nose)
AVAR green (same as above)
sodium sulfacetamide (less drying than sulfur wash or lotion, seemed to clear small whiteheads almost overnight)

I use Cerave SA wash.

I go back to the dermatologist tomorrow and am wondering what I should ask about. I have a prescription for soolantra but am afraid to use as I have read it causes purging when first using. Any suggestions? My face is decent right now, but two weeks ago it was the worst it had been in almost a year. Plus, I have been breaking out regularly on my chin which is unusual for me. Forehead some also. So confused on if I not have more of an acne issue going on in addition to the rosacea, and if so, how do I treat both?

Any suggestions are helpful. I was really hoping the finacea would work but I ended up getting almost welt type places when I was using, similar to the metrocream but worse. I wonder if metro gel would be better? I have quite a bit of scarring from the cystic like acne I have been getting on chin and noticed the sulfur wash seemed to fade it some. The sulfur wash certainly helped with the texture and redness but caused more tiny bumps to pop up.

Any feedback?
hlcox1209
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Need some suggestions and advice

Postby JennAdeleK » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:22 am

I'm going to post a link to a rosacea article that might help you instead of copy/pasting the text of it here in message form, which would just be cumbersome...

https://themighty.com/2017/05/what-to-k ... g-rosacea/

I also recommend that you visit the National Rosacea Society's website at www.rosacea.org for all the latest info and also to request one or two of their trigger trackers.
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby hlcox1209 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi! Thanks so much for your replies to my posts. Could you tell me if you use metro gel 1 or .75% I have been using my metrocream the last few days and notice it has helped shrink bumps and reduce redness, but before I found it to break me out after several days. Thinking I may need to try the gel? Thank you!
hlcox1209
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JennAdeleK » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:41 pm

I tried the gel at 1% for 2 months and it was ineffective for me.
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Return to Prescription Topicals