Doxycycline

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

Doxycycline

Postby hlcox1209 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:36 pm

I have been on doxycycline for 5 months now, 100 mg once a day. I am still getting p&p's. Can I assume that it is fine to stop taking? I have the worst flare right now I have had in a very long time, and have not been using any thing different in terms of wash, topical, etc. So frustrated!
hlcox1209
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Doxycycline

Postby JennAdeleK » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:58 am

I think if the doxy were going to work, you would've seen improvements by now. Have you talked to your doctor?
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby hlcox1209 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:11 pm

I have, I was just told to make an appointment, which isn't for a few weeks. So frustrated. My skin can be clear at times, but never for any length of time, which makes me think the doxy just isn't working at all. She said I could try taking twice a day, but I am hesitant to do so since it doesn't seem that anything over the low dose is proven to help rosacea. The sulfur wash used to clear up my few spots quickly when I used but now, even with that, I have small bumps all over my face, even in places I don't typically break out like chin and forehead.

Finacea worked great when I first started it but within a week or so I was getting welp like places all over my face so I was advised to stop it. All the derm seems to suggest is to keep trying different things to see what works, but that's just it--it seems nothing works to get me clear and keep me that way.
hlcox1209
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JennAdeleK » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:31 pm

hlcox1209 wrote:I have, I was just told to make an appointment, which isn't for a few weeks. So frustrated. My skin can be clear at times, but never for any length of time, which makes me think the doxy just isn't working at all. She said I could try taking twice a day, but I am hesitant to do so since it doesn't seem that anything over the low dose is proven to help rosacea. The sulfur wash used to clear up my few spots quickly when I used but now, even with that, I have small bumps all over my face, even in places I don't typically break out like chin and forehead.

Finacea worked great when I first started it but within a week or so I was getting welp like places all over my face so I was advised to stop it. All the derm seems to suggest is to keep trying different things to see what works, but that's just it--it seems nothing works to get me clear and keep me that way.

Well.... hmmm... I'd definitely recommend keeping your appointment. Other than that, all I can tell you is what worked for me, but bear in mind, everyone's rosacea is different:

1. A low histamine (and by natural extension, an anti-inflammatory) diet and lifestyle.
2. Red light therapy 2x per day at 7 minutes per session.
3. I wash with raw honey 2x per day (this is the only cleanser I ever use on my face)
4. I moisturize with 100% pure, organic aloe vera gel 3x per day (this is my only moisturizer and it also doubles as my hair gel)
5. I stay out of the sun
6. I make sure I don't get overheated
7. Mild to moderate intensity exercise daily in 30 minute intervals (2x per day)

Hope this helps some!!!
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments