HELP!

This is the part of rosacea that can be mistaken for acne - those lumps and bumps that look like teenage acne, but are actually rosacea lesions. These symptoms can often be the easiest part of rosacea to treat. Drop in here for more information.

HELP!

Postby hlcox1209 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:39 pm

I started doxy 100mg once day, sulfur wash, and Metrocream twice a day a little over two months ago. I have been having worsening of symptoms the last few weeks. More breakouts of rosacea nature, and also acne breakouts. Yesterday, my derm suggested bumping my doxy to twice daily, 100mg, and resuming sulfur wash 2-3 times a week and metro cream twice daily. I had backed off sulfur wash and metro at night because my face was SO dry, and the metro cream seems to be too greasy for my face overnight. HELP! I am so confused on what to do. I am leery of bumping doxy up but she said that was "acne dose" and would help with other breakouts. I asked about finacea and she just said "it's expensive."

Should I get a second opinion?
hlcox1209
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: HELP!

Postby JennAdeleK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:25 pm

I replied to your post on another thread that you started with the same question. Just in case you might see it here instead of there, I'm copy/pasting below for you:

Hey there... I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. Rosacea like what you are describing can be so tough to deal with, both physically and mentally. About 6 weeks ago, when I was diagnosed, mine was all flared up and it affected every part of my being (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual).

If I were in your position, I would go ahead and get a second opinion, and maybe see not only a dermatologist but also a functional medicine doctor to address any root causes and not just symptom management (although with what you are describing, you will want to manage those symptoms in either case). Also, if your skin is getting that dry, washing it more will not make the situation better. And, I know for sensitive, acne-prone skin that Metrogel can be a better option than the Metrocream... but you would have to adjust your routine a bit to tolerate the gel, as it is a tad more drying than the cream.

I'm not sure how much of what I do will help you, but I do want to share my regimen in case any or all of it might be of some form of benefit...

A few things that really helped me:

#1. Switching to an AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) diet and lifestyle, tailored to my individual nutrition needs. If you are unfamiliar with Autoimmune Protocol, just Google and a lot of stuff will come up. There's plenty to read and learn. Phoenix Helix website is one of the best resources to start with, and AIP is becoming more and more prevalent every day. This alone reduced my rosacea symptoms by about 85%.

#2. Getting rid of all cosmetics. I wash with my own homemade soap. Use raw honey as a gentle face wash (I don't use my homemade soap on my face, honey only), and moisturize with pure aloe vera gel. I also use the aloe vera gel as my hair gel. And, I finally started making my own toothpaste and deodorants (coconut oil and baking soda blends) to make sure they are as pure and gentle as possible. I never wear makeup or use perfumes of any kind. (Oh, and as a side note, I never wash or bathe in hot water... lukewarm).

#3. I try not to get overheated or get too much sun exposure. A big hat is worth the money... invest.

#4. Moderate-intensity exercise every day (hiking mostly)... and I switched my yoga routine to only doing upright poses... nothing with a head-down posture.

#5. Metrogel 1%... this controls the remaining 10-15% of my symptoms most of the time. I use it once daily, in the evening. I'm hoping to step down to once every other night beginning in April, but we will see...

One more note, starting next week, I'm going to slowly begin red light therapy. I have a unit coming to my house. I've heard really good things and would like to try it out and see if it benefits my skin, as well.

I really, really hope this response helps you some. I know what you are going through is incredibly stressful.

(((HUGS)))
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby rosaceasufferer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:05 am

I just want to reiterate what BirdGalJenn said. I also have largely eliminated my rosacea by altering my diet, not wearing makeup (although sometimes I wear an eco-friendly lipstick), and keeping things (hair, glasses) off my face. Although I grew up with perfect skin, I have struggled with skin issues for YEARS after treating it poorly (going off birth control, accidentally putting steroids on my face, taking too many antibiotics, etc), and have tried everything: oral antibiotics, metrocream/gel, Mother Dirt mist, washing my face/not washing my face, you name it. My skin was so sensitive that I couldn't touch it without it breaking out. It was constantly itching, burning, tingling, crawling, etc. I mostly had redness and bumps in my T-zone (was also diagnosed with seborrehic dermatitis, although dermatologist told me it's all basically the same thing). It has been a drain on my self esteem. Every day I would dread looking in the mirror. Now I look forward to it! It's only been a couple weeks of being very clear but I have to say, it feels so good to finally see my skin CLEAR. YAY!!

Really, I was shocked that my symptoms almost completely cleared after being on this anti-inflammatory, Paleo diet for a couple of weeks. (I have already been gluten-free and dairy-free for years, btw. I also did not change my face-washing routine.) I had to be very strict, but it paid off for me!

The basic rules are:

no gluten
no dairy (but I eat organic, grass-fed, pasture-raised butter and ghee)
no grains (rice, corn, etc. Rice seems to be a major trigger for me)
no bad oils (vegetable, canola, soybean, sunflower, etc.) -- only EV coconut and olive oils
no sugar or alternative sweeteners (stevia, agave, etc.)
no caffeine (not even decaf coffee, sadly)
no alcohol

Typical day:

breakfast:
two organic, pasture-raised eggs with organic, grass-fed butter
sweet potato (microwaved or boiled) with organic, grass-fed ghee
some type of meat (paleo turkey bacon, sausage, etc.)
smoothie: unsweetened almond/coconut milk (no added or weird ingredients), 3-4 kale leaves, 1/4-1/2 avocado, 1/2-1 banana, handful of mixed organic frozen berries
Yogi Skin Detox tea (careful-- it really does cleanse you! Also has a small bit of caffeine but I seem okay with this)

lunch:
Sometimes I skip it if I'm not hungry or I eat dinner leftovers

Snacks:
organic apple or strawberries
Bare baked apple chips with cinnamon
kale chips (no weird oils or sweeteners)
Paleo beef jerky by The New Primal
Go Raw sprouted flax seed crackers
olives

Dinner:
sweet potatoes with ghee or baked plantains with coconut oil
some sort of other veggie
something fermented (I'm digging a raw sauerkraut currently -- no sugar or vinegar added; I think vinegar might be trigger for me but not certain)
some sort of organic grass-fed meat or wild-caught sustainable fish

Seasonings/condiments:
pepper
Himalayan pink salt
ghee
any spices (although I'm trying to stay away from things that are too spicy)
Trader Joe's tahini sauce

Daily supplements:
Evening primrose oil
Prescript Assist probiotic & prebiotic (although I stopped taking this a couple weeks ago and seem fine; I had been on it for about a year, per Chris Kresser's recommendation)

Beverages:
water
La Croix sparkling water
Synergy organic kombucha (cosmic cranberry or Gingeraid)
Yogi Skin Detox Tea
Coconut or almond milk that doesn't have any other added ingredients

My next step is to try more natural skincare products (I currently wash with Cetaphil, use Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, and Cotz natural tinted sunscreen) but I don't want to add any other changes into the mix just yet. Also, be sure to change out your toothpaste for one without fluoride. I use Jason brand. And I use some hippie brand shampoo that doesn't have sulfates, phthalates, parabens, preservatives, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and remember to think positive -- you don't have to live with rosacea!
rosaceasufferer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby rosaceasufferer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:33 am

Sorry, one more very important thing I forgot to mention about my diet: Drink lots of water!
rosaceasufferer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JennAdeleK » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am

How great that you went through and posted all that info about the diet, rosaceasufferer! It is a big help, I'm sure, to see it laid out like that in a list . I love how you also detailed your menu for a day. That's awesome!!!

I do want to say, being 2 weeks into red light therapy now, that it has been a huge help!!! I'm no longer reliant on the Metrogel for control of my mild remaining symptoms. I keep a tube of it around in case I need a quick spot treatment from stress or something, but otherwise I just do my daily red light therapy now instead of the Metrogel. So, I'm sticking to AIP diet, my honey wash, aloe vera gel, my exercise and UV/heat plan, and now red light therapy. Whew! It sound like a lot, I know, but when you get used to a daily routine, it becomes totally normal.

(bigkiss)
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Return to Papules & Pustules