I've suffered silently for so long

How we view ourselves, including our face is an important part of our overall health. Use this forum to discuss psychological aspects of having rosacea such as depression and anxiety for example.

I've suffered silently for so long

Postby H87 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:16 am

I've suffered silently for so long. I need to be able to talk to someone about this.

I didn’t want to turn this into a reading assignment for you, so here is the tl;dr

I’m a 29 y/o guy who has suffered from chronic blushing since elementary school. I have developed rosacea and distracting, neuropathic facial pain over time because of it. It has stopped me from progressing in life. I can't function without hiding my redness to people with makeup. I’m unemployed living at home without a driver's license (i passed the knowledge test but have yet to take the driver test). All that’s been briefly disclosed or assumed is that i have some anxiety issues (which i do). My parents just tell me i need to step out of my comfort zone (which is good advise) but they have no idea what I'm facing, no pun intended. I’ve barely mentioned anything to anyone. I’ve never seen any professional. I want to tell my family, but i don't see any way to without revealing that i wear makeup. I wouldn't want anyone to know that. Also, i feel like i would be misunderstood, as i'm sure they're ignorant to the condition. I feel like they wouldn’t believe that i’ve been suffering this long. I’m really at a low point. I feel so scared and alone. I want to move forward with my life.

Talking to someone about it, even if it’s on a forum will only be beneficial. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
H87
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: I've suffered silently for so long

Postby nmm092592 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:30 pm

your not alone. It is the worst feeling being at a constant panic that foundation will wear off during the day and reveal the severe redness. I won't even let my roommate see me without make up.
nmm092592
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Zoi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Привет, да действительно оказывается нас много. И чтобы не оставаться в одиночестве я также решила общаться здесь на форуме.
Zoi
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JennAdeleK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:43 am

You are most certainly not alone. (((HUGS)))

If I may offer some advice, you really might want to reconsider telling your parents... perhaps with some printed materials about rosacea, so if they are uninformed they can become aware. Usually, if left untreated, rosacea can become worse over time. That's not to say it will, but it can. Ask them to make an appointment for you with a dermatologist. People with rosacea suffer all sorts of negative psychological effects from it, and getting it treated and hopefully cleared up can definitely help reverse those effects.

Wishing you the best!
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby ElitheSherman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:03 am

Hey bud, ya, your definitely not alone. Rosacea/acne can really play some nasty tricks on your mind. I know. The best advice I can give is, keep your chin up, and look people directly in the eyes. Difficult is not the word for it, but the fear will fade and you will become​ a stronger person because of it. Always stay in control of what you can
ElitheSherman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Psychological Aspects