Whole Food, Plant Based Diet

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Whole Food, Plant Based Diet

Postby Krondika » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:26 pm

Hello all,

Update on my whole food, plant based diet. I have learned a lot more about this diet since I originally "started" it in December. I have learned that of your total caloric intake 80% should be carbohydrates, 10% protein and 10% fat. For my 1200 calorie diet this equates to 31 grams protein, 14 grams fat and 246 grams carbs. I have been on the revised diet for ~ 1 month (with some cheat days that included 20-30% fat derived from nut butters). This diet includes fruits, vegetables, nuts, roots, grains, essentially anything that grows from the ground. This diet excludes meat, dairy, eggs, processed foods, sugar, caffeine, etc.

The bumps on my inner cheeks are gone; they had previously been there for ~ 4 months. My nose is no longer red, previously my nose was pink-red most of the time. My face has only flared 4 times since February 1st, which is a drastic improvement. Previously my inner cheeks, nose and chin would get red, hot and feel very irritated for 1-2 hours nearly every night and that had lasted for ~ 3 months. I am still skeptical as these changes could be temporary and may in no way be related to my dietary changes; but I am having trouble believing that it is totally coincidental.

The books to read to learn about this diet are The China Study by Dr. Colin Campbell and The Campbell Plan by Dr. Thomas Campbell.

These doctors are not trying to sell you supplements, food, anything. They are just trying to help people live healthy lives.

Good luck all!!
Krondika
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Whole Food, Plant Based Diet

Postby Krondika » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Just wanted to post an update. I am still following the WFPB diet and have found that the pustules and papules are gone. Occasionally a few pop up on one or both of my inner cheeks but they go away in a few days. This is a significant improvement as the pustules I had in the past didn't go away for ~ 4 months.

I had acne on my forehead for about 2 years that cleared up ~ 1-2 months ago, so about 4 months into the diet change.

I still get redness on my cheeks for 1-2 hours 3-4 days a week but the pain and irritation has lessened. I still have baseline redness that is noticeable in the sun or under florescent lights. I am tempted to stay home so I only have to look in my own mirrors with my own lights but unfortunately I have to keep working (;) .

I had bumps and dry skin on my scalp that has cleared up and pimples or papules (not sure which one) along my hair line and on the outsides of my cheeks that have also gone away for the time being.

It seems that the perioral dermatitis or rosacea (I'm not sure which, they were diagnosed differently by different dermatologists) on my chin has cleared up for the moment. This comes and goes every couple of months. It's very frustrating.

Eye burning and dryness cleared up about 1 month after starting the WFPD diet.

Not sure if any of this is related to diet changes or if these are just normal ups and downs with rosacea but I thought I would pass on the info. anyway. Looking at myself in the mirror has become more tolerable. I think I'm getting used to the red.

Good luck everyone!
Krondika
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby happyday » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:54 am

This is really great. Thank you for your post. I wonder how you're doing now. Did you stick to the Whole-Food Plant-Based diet? I recently watched the documentary Forks Over Knives and it is just amazing what diet can do. It has inspired me to cut out dairy (except for eggs), for the past 3 weeks. It was quite an adjustment, mostly during breakfast, but now that I've done it, my gut certainly feels a lot better and much less bloated than before, which I hadn't even noticed. I've started to add more veggies and fruits, and reduce meats. The one thing I don't know that I can do without is olive oil. They say you have to cut that out too. DId you cut oil out completely?

Would love to hear how you're doing, and thanks again for sharing!
happyday
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby havequestions » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:35 am

I started a whole foods plants based diet and I'm making progress with getting off medication and figuring out my triggers for rosacea after a 15 year struggle with it. I've been vegan for a year now.. This made a huge difference but didn't entirely eradicate the rosacea (thought it would). I don't drink alcohol... so I don't get the alcohol flushing though I used to. I've been working on keeping track of my diet in detail for about 6 months now and recently I was tested for all foods that are triggering the rosacea once I had a list to go off of and have quite a bit of information to share. Here we go... An anti-inflammatory diet is paramount for me...I don't do: Alcohol, Soda, Dairy, Animal flesh, Processed foods, Fast food, Fried foods, Processed meats, Vegetable oil, Trans Fats, Saturated fats, Gluten, Refined flour, Sugar and Artificial sugar. I was TESTED & ALLERGIC to: Dairy/eggs/meat, Wheat/gluten, Soy, Chocolate, Pineapple, Avocado, Spinach, Brown rice/wild rice, Regular corn, Eggplant (nightshade), Mushroom (nightshade)

I WAS TESTED & NOT ALLERGIC TO:
• Quinoa
• Cashews
• Coconut
• Almonds
• Blue corn
• Bananas
• Chia seeds
• Kale
• Apple
(I eat many many other things in the vegetable, legumes and fruit arena, but needed to know FOR SURE what grains, seed and nuts work for me as so many can trigger rosacea)

I WAS ALLERGIC & CLEARED THROUGH A FABULOUS CHIROPRACTOR FOR THE FOLLOWING:
• Coffee (buy organic)
• Sunflower seed
• Oats (buy organic)

DEFINITE TRIGGERS
• Strawberries
• Artificial additives
• Bad skincare
• Sun
• Alcohol
• Sugar
• Citrus
• NIGHTSHADES: tomato, goji berries, bell peppers, paprika, chili pepper, cayenne, potatoes, pepperocini, mushrooms, eggplant
• Pickled things
• Spicy things
• Vinegar
• Peanuts

I'm cleaning out my system and reintroducing my body to some foods after I've cleared the rosacea for several months. At this point, I'm off the medication and eating vegan, no soy, sugar, peanuts and gluten, nightshades and a few other key food items. and MUST DO ORGANIC on the "Dirty Dozen". Strawberries are the worst thing for rosacea. Take Organic seriously. I wish I had this research 6 months ago and hope I can help someone with what I've learned. Lots of other stuff too if anyone's interested.
havequestions
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Foods & Diet