Warm Room Flush: PDF released from Australian Sciences

What is the difference between blushing and flushing, how is that related to my rosacea and how do I treat it ? Stop in here for all your answers.

Re: Warm Room Flush: PDF released from Australian Sciences

Postby Sophie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:25 am

Staying in a warm environment REALLY does help! i never realised it at the time but when i went to china for a holiday this summer i didnt go red once!! The temp. was 35 degrees celcius when i was in Zhuhai, and since i was in the city there was aircon in alot of places but since i spent alot of time outside (in the shade), whenever i walked inside all i ever got, at most , was a tiny blotch on my neck!! :D Then when i went in to the country side in the centre of china where it was 40 - 45 degrees celcius, i was constantly hot and swaety cause there was no aircon, but i was absolutly fine! (rofl) i even looked a little pale when i asked people :) ..................and then my holiday ended and i had to come back to scotland where it's freezing! Now my flushing is back and its kinda impossible to stay warm when its -20 degrees outside and its snowing :(
Sophie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi Sophie and welcome to the group. (wave)

Wow, that sounds like a really interesting holiday! How amazing, and how wonderful, that you could cope so well with scorchio weather without frying-up in the heat. Can't imagine 35 Celcius, let alone up to 45, since my ideal temperature range is very narrow (18 - 24 Celcius). Did it make any difference whether the heat was dry or wet, as in high humidity?

Sophie wrote:and then my holiday ended and i had to come back to scotland where it's freezing! Now my flushing is back and its kinda impossible to stay warm when its -20 degrees outside and its snowing :(

That's shocking. A news bulletin we watched tonight showed a scottish farmer rescuing a sheep totally hidden in a snowdrift. Lovely for that one sheep to be safely returned to the fold, but sad to think of how many other animals (and people) won't make it through the winter. The bulletin said the savage temperatures could easily last for another ten days. You have my sympathies. (hug2)

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby AustralianSciences » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Dear Sophie,

It sounds like you are one of those people who can actually form sweat on your flush zones.
In this case it is easier to tolerate hot temperatures, because although you get hot, you begin to sweat and cool your flush zones down.

For other people the sweat evaporates almost instantly in flush zones, because their skin infrastructure is at the point where the heat generated is too great to be reduced by sweat. I was once one of these people who had trouble forming sweat and tolerating heat, and thus tried to avoid it. Unaware of the negative consequences.
But as your skin infrastructure reduces, so does the heat generated.
This enables the sweat to form and you should slowly notice more sweat forming as you reverse Rosacea.

I am in Central China now for the winter, it's about 0 degrees celcius.
Similar to your environment in Scotland.
What I do is stay as warm as possible while indoors, by using heaters (a heated air conditioner that heats the whole room).
I am indoors most of the day and during this time my aim is to deplete any chemical buildups in my flush zones, so that when I do go out in the cold for an hour or two, no significant buildup occurs. (as the booklet states: the duration of cold exposure is more important than the actual temperature).
I then return to the warm room and start the cycle again, heat the room so that I deplete any chemical buildups in flush zones.....
You should also try to protect flush zones while in the cold (especially from cold wind). I use a hat with flaps that can cover my flush zones.
If I follow this kind of regime, I don't expect to experience any flushing during this winter or any other.
However, if I didn't follow this kind of regime I would expect to flush on a regular basis, because the winter environment provides more chemical buildup opportunities than steady release opportunities.

Best regards,
Colin Dahl
Australian Sciences
http://www.ausci.com
AustralianSciences
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Naturaltreatments » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Aurelia - that is similar to my ideal narrow temperature range: 18 to 24. It is also the year round climate of the Canary Islands (Tenerife at least), which tempts me to want to visit there!
Naturaltreatments
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Aurelia » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:56 am

Hi Naturaltreatments,

The only one of the Canary Islands I've visited was Fuerteventura. I was living in London and suffering badly from hay fever and was so desperate to escape the pollen, I looked for a barren, foliage-free place with water warm enough to swim in. Fuerteventura, just 60 miles off the coast of Morocco, was perfect. Best of all, I made two excellent friends who still keep in touch 15 years later. (hug)

Tenerife, Lanzarote and the others are much showier, with far more varied scenery and lush foliage from the trade winds hitting their peaks, and you would probably have a fabulous time.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby greengables » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:20 am

So...six years after this booklet came out...did Ausci ever develop any products? Do any more research? Their website appears mostly defunct.
greengables
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby David Pascoe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:00 am

As I understand it Australian Sciences didn't get to the product actually developed stage.

Being able to develop and prove a new treatment for a condition is a difficult task that only works for a few.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:06 am

Artist wrote:WOW David this is an amazing read! I posted some excerpts and commented here and there, but I just think everyone should read this whole thing. VERY eye-opening. Please read!!! (yahoo)

HEAT REGULATION AND THE WARM ROOM FLUSH PHENOMENON (PDF).

I'm just going through it now. This reminds me of a camping trip one year. We went camping and it was only around 60-65 degrees most of the time. During the whole trip my skin looked amazing. My vessels were completely constricted at all times. On the way home, we went into a warm restaurant and I ate. I had the biggest "warm room" flush ever. It was very sudden, and awful. Now I realize that, while my skin was cool, dilating chemicals were not being used - so they built up. So, after such a long time building up, there was an abundant amount to be released. I think this also helps explain why many of us do worse in the winter going from warm to cold rooms.. Thanks for finding this.

Here is a little snippet:
"In cooler environments, chemicals the body uses to dilate blood vessels are no longer getting released in significance. If the person is in a cool environment for a long period of time, then these dilating chemicals such as neuropeptides, begin to build up."

I never realized you can actually reverse anything with rosacea (except with IPL): "flush reduction methods over the long term that will allow you to reverse the excessive skin infrastructure and sensitization."

"If you reduce the over activity of the skin, you reduce the infrastructure required to maintain it. Less nutrients will be needed for supply, so less blood vessels are needed to get them there. Just as the body has a system to increase blood vessels and nerves in your skin to correlate with their activity, the body also has a system to reduce blood vessels and nerves in your skin when they are less active. The body uses growth factor regulation as one method of achieving this balance. This is why reducing flushing and skin irritation is so important."

The author actually has rosacea: "Putting some of the rosacea neuropeptide research I learned into practice, the coming winter I did an experiment to try to continually release neuropeptides thereby not enabling a build up of these chemicals by the nerves in my skin. After all, what is the facial flush? It’s not caused by a gentle release of inflammatory chemicals produced by the body, but caused by a massive release of these chemicals!

In effect I was creating a summer-like environment by using heaters to prevent my face and body from getting cool (without getting too hot). I got through the winter and saw further improvement in erythema and flushing.

I continued the experiment in the summer, but this time the cool environment was inside due to air conditioning or insulation. The warm room was now outdoor exposure to hot weather. I again tried to continually release neuropeptides throughout the day. I did use air conditioning sparingly during the summer only to reduce very warm environments like hot cars. But did not focus cool air directly on my face (flush zones) and did not get cool. Again I noticed a great reduction in overall flushing and my facial redness was further improved. Over time I noticed a greater tolerance to warm environments

There does seem to be a correlation between cooler environments and rosacea. In tropical southern China there is little rosacea found, but as you travel north towards areas that experience cold winters, rosacea is very common.

Over the previous 18 months I had experienced significant continual improvement in erythema and flushing."

Perhaps this also explains why I do so well in tropical environments.

I think a lot of us try and do this: "Many with rosacea even try to remain in cool environments for long periods in an attempt to reduce facial flushes from occurring. However, this is counter productive because it can result in significant inflammatory neuropeptide storage. When the person eventually enters a warm environment they have a build up of neuropeptides ready for release. In this situation a large flush will be difficult to prevent."

Interesting!!!!

"If the flush zones of your face (cheeks, etc) are cool to the touch, then it is very likely that the availability of inflammatory chemicals such as neuropeptides are building up. Your flush zones don’t have to be red hot for these chemicals to be released. If you want to continually release neuropeptides gradually, then you want to have neutral to slightly warm skin (not hot and not cold).

By ensuring your environmental temperature is biased towards warm, then your flush zones will be biased towards neuropeptide depletion rather than neuropeptide build up. I also believe that it is not the actual temperature that is important but more of a question of time. The longer you stay in a heat conservation phase (your flush zone is cold) then the longer the neuropeptide build up continues.

If you continually experience flushed skin in warm environments, and you just get hotter during flushes, then you need to reduce the excessive infrastructure in your skin before you can attempt to modulate your environmental temperature and avoid neuropeptide build up. First try IPL to reduce some of the extra blood vessels in your skin."

Some more tidbits: "From a biological view, the sudden end to an intense flush somewhat resembles the neuropeptide depletion induced by capsaicin (the active chemical found in red peppers)."

Does Capsaicin help rosacea? I would have never dreamed of trying a "hot pepper" extract on my skin, but is it irritating topically?

"Australian Sciences has conducted extensive research into the normalization of inflammatory skin cells with natural compounds such as silymarin, egcg, vitamin B12 and many others. Independent research has also showed these compounds to be effective for other inflammatory skin disorders such as atopic dermatitis and psoriasis...."

Artist
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby RedMage » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Hi all,

This will be my first post on this forum so I will start with short version of my story as a Rosacea sufferer.

Normally I m living in Poland and I have been living in Australia for almost a year now. I started to notice that I have problems with this condition when I was 16 (today I have 32, so this is a long-standing problem). During this time, I tried many available therapies prescribed to me by doctors, dermatologists or found on the internet. I lost a lot of money and time on creams, tablets, lasers (I had over 20 IPLs alone). Nothing helped in the long run. In the case of creams even worsened the case because at the moment I am not able to take any even delicate creams without hugly increasing my redness. Lasers could help mildly for a while but later the cheeks returned to their initial state. The tablets helped with flushing but the side effects could be very unpleasant and the red color remained. Some of the medications were able to exacerbate my condition. And with this short intruduction behind us lets go to the main dish.

Observing my condition over the years, I noticed that my condition is improving during the summer period and worsens during autumn and winter. I thought it must be related to the amount of sun, so whenever I could I was exposing to the sun's rays. Tan actually partially concealed my ailment, although when it came down my skin was even worse than before. Last year, I went on a work & holiday visa to Australia, I chose Brisbane as a destination because I wanted my skin to get as much sun as possible and stay tanned all the time.
As I quickly learned, because the sun here in Australia is much more biting, it was not the right approach. And mostly I was staying red all the time.
During that time, at the forum, I read the article "Warm room flush theory revisited" which directed to Colin Dahl's book "HEAT REGULATION AND THE WARM ROOM FLUSH PHENOMENON"
The author is / was also rosacea sufferer. However, he managed to overcome his illness with the help of the regime he introduced. What is important is doesn't cost money, no wonderful creams or medicines. Even a laser is an optional matter here. However, my observations and Colin's observations are very convergent.

I also wrote to him on LinkedIn to find out more details and he was so kind that he answered my questions and meticulously answered all of them.
I started applying the regimen from September 2018, now 4 months of testing are behind me. Unfortunately, due to my work and housing conditions, I am not able to 100% stick to the presented regime. I stopped using chemistry and replaced it with an unscented soap, the same with sunscreen. A simple cream with zinc or zinc oxiade, at least SPF 30+. I trying to make the temperature in the room in which I sleep did not fall below 22 degrees. I also avoid staying in places where there are major temperature changes. This is not easy. I would say it is actually very hard. Ithink I making the plan is about 50%. The effects, however, are visible now and it seems to me that these are the best effects I have ever had even after using the most expensive lasers were not half as good.

First of all, flushing was practically eliminated. I remember only 2 such attacks recently, but it was due to the fact that for 2 weeks I was on a trip in Cruise Ship in the South Pacific and the temperature between the islands and the air-conditioned interior plus wind and that I did not watch too well to the regime caused that after these two weeks I had this problems.
The skin seems calmer although Its still far from its natural color (compering with the color on forehead for instance). For this I have to reduce the infrastructure of blood vessels and reverse angiogenesis. According to the author, it took him 18 months so surely I have a long way to go. Though if I will be able after I return to Poland to sustain even this result my life would be so much better compared to that it used to be.

Please let me know if any of you also were trying this approach or for any other questions.
RedMage
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby David Pascoe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:10 am

Thanks so much for letting us know how you are doing and your history. Great to hear that you have some options from reading Colin's paper.

I wish you only continued success!
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Previous

Return to Blushing & Flushing