Miracle for my p&p rosacea.

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

Miracle for my p&p rosacea.

Postby ellkay » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:07 pm

I posted on this forum way back in June when I was first diagnosed with rosacea. Since then, I have tried everything except accutane - finacea, antibiotics (which made me frighteningly ill), metrogel, differin, acanya (a mix of BP and clindamycin), BP 10% wash, tretinoin, sea buckthorn oil, honey masks, epsom salts - all with varying degrees of success but little permanence.

Last time I went to my derm, which was a few weeks ago, she told me to continue with my current topical regime (finacea and acanya in the morning, finacea and tretinoin gel at night) but added an odd prescription multivitamin to my routine. The multivitamin was to be taken twice daily, and had 750mg of Niacin, 500 mg of Folate, 25 mg of zinc and 2 mg of copper per serving. It was very overpriced, however, so I went to VitaminShoppe and bought all the components separately. I got 500mg of Niacin to take twice daily, and 800 mg of Folate and 50 mg of zinc with 4 mg of copper to take once daily. So the dosages were similar, but not exactly the same.

After a few days, I began seeing immediate improvements. I have p&p rosacea, not flushing, so it looks like acne bumps on my skin. The little bumps were drying up and falling off, and the hyperpigmented dots I had on my forehead began to lighten. Two weeks in, this is the best my skin has looked in almost a year. If I stay away from my triggers, my skin keeps improving and improving. I've found that my triggers include dairy, soy in high concentrations like tofu, and dates (the dried fruit). I'm even drinking my beloved dark roast black coffee again, which was never actually a trigger, thank god.

Here is my current routine, which is actually CHEMICAL-FREE!!

- Take 500 mg extended release, "no flush" Niacin in the morning with 800 mg Folate, 50 mg zinc combined with 4 mg copper. Take the Niacin again at night, with food to prevent any nausea.
- Splash my face with cool water in the morning, then rub in a few drops of rosehip oil to take care of any dryness and give me a nice even complexion.
- Do a mint-lemon mud mask before bed to improve appearance of any hyperpigmentation scars.
- Wash off the mask, pat dry, rub in a few drops of sea buckthorn oil and rosehip oil for scarring and complexion.

I'm 19 years old, and having p&p rosacea was a self esteem killer. I never wanted to leave my room or hang out with my friends. Now I've been going to the gym makeup-free, going out, never skipping classes because of my skin - and it feels awesome.
ellkay
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Miracle for my p&p rosacea.

Postby Brenz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:54 am

Thank you for sharing that. Are you still using the topical treatment as prescribed by your dermatologist or have you dropped it?

Brenz
Brenz
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby ellkay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:50 pm

I've actually dropped it. I may start using the tretinoin gel again in a few days to help peel off some of the tiny red hyperpigmentation scars, but the expensive topicals really don't seem to be necessary anymore.
ellkay
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Brenz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:51 am

Thank you for your quick response. I'm saving all your information for future reference to my Word Document File 'Rosacea'! As I said on my recent first post to this forum, I consider myself very lucky not to have developed this in my youth and sympathise with all you young people who have to cope with it. Yet, even at 70, I was very self-conscious of my recent and first major flare-up and the development of ocular.

Wishing you all the very best.
Brenz
Brenz
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby ellkay » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:40 pm

You're welcome! I would definitely suggest giving the supplements a try after a quick chat with your physician to make sure they won't interfere with any medications you're taking. They aren't harmful, and it takes about 1-2 weeks to see some progress so you won't waste a lot of time on it if it doesn't work for you. Plus it's relatively inexpensive - you won't spend more than $20 on it.
ellkay
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Oklahoman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:08 am

I read ellkay's post back in 2015 or so and decided to give it a shot. I kept it simpler. I went to my local health food store and just found 500 mg capsules of no-flush Niacin, and 400 mcg of Folate. I just took one of each per day, along with around 1000 mg of vitamin C per day. I had previously found the Vit C works great for me, but not consistently. With the Vit C I would still have flushes occasionally. Once I started adding the Folate and Niacin to the daily routine, after about two weeks my face looked great. It is now 2017, and after 2 years of this routine I can say that, for my rosacea, the daily routine works wonderfully. 500 mg of no-flush Niacin, 400 mcg of Folate, 1000 mg of Vitamin C. I still take tetracycline on a daily basis, but I truly believe that the vitamins I am taking are far more effective than the antibiotics. The only time in the past year I have had any flushing episodes is when I lapsed on the vitamins for a few days and accidentally combined it with some food triggers (bottle of red wine). Other than that, as long as I keep the vitamin intake as described, my skin is now totally under control.
Oklahoman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments