My experience with SIBO and Rosacea

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

Re: My experience with SIBO and Rosacea

Postby LoisAnne » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:39 am

Janet, welcome to the forum and thanks for your information. Could you say what kind of probiotics you use? You said a supplement, but what brand? I suppose that whatever it is would not be the same in the US.

I love the UK and your lovely Yorkshire. I lived a year in London and fell in love with all things British.

LoisAnne
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Angelic80s » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:37 pm

LoisAnne wrote:Janet, welcome to the forum and thanks for your information. Could you say what kind of probiotics you use? You said a supplement, but what brand? I suppose that whatever it is would not be the same in the US.

I love the UK and your lovely Yorkshire. I lived a year in London and fell in love with all things British.

LoisAnne

Hi! Thanks for the kind words towards UK.

It was one i read about recently in a fairly big newspaper health section here in England.
It's called 'Elixa'. Which i suppose is how US people pronounce elixir. I found it via ebay but found their site later on http://www.elixa-probiotic.com/ which has much more information than on the box/leaflet. It's also got some scientific info I found interesting. It seems like a bit of a 'breakthrough' product because I think it's fairly new and i saw it on a couple of health & beauty tv programmes. I'm fairly certain they ship anywhere... it says 'made in UK' but i think online companies would definitely ship to US otherwise they're missing a huge market!

I wanted to wait a while before giving my review of it, but i'd say the results have lasted until now, so that's good enough for me! I'd be really interested to see how it helps other people...maybe different types of rosacea react differently! It improved my skin all over though so i think it's worth a shot.
Angelic80s
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Angelic80s » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:39 pm

p.s. I lived in London too. Camden Town! It was very nice but rent became too expensive. London is nice but I need to get a few promotions before I can afford to live there decently :)
Angelic80s
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fernando perez » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:34 am

For those of you confused about the whole probiotics in yogurt and in water and the ones you eat/drink and what not, here's the deal: probiotics is bacteria, and just like human cells, bacteria have the ability to produce energy in an aerobic and anaerobic manner. What does that mean? There are certain bacteria that thrive in places where oxygen is available, hence the term aerobic, whereas there are bacteria that thrive through fermentation rather than cellular respiration. I know there are a lot of biological terms here, but the point is that there are some probiotics that do not need oxygen to live, which are the ones found in the yogurt. Those probiotics will not do anything to your skin if applied as yogurt because they cannot survive in the presence of oxygen; they are anaerobes. However, there are certain bacteria, probiotics of course, that do need oxygen to survive, and those are the ones you want to put on your skin. The other forms will live inside your body where oxygen is not available (fyi oxygen travels through the bloodstream to the multiple cells of our bodies that encompass all of our bodily structures, such as our organs, tissues, etc, and is not found inside the stomach, intestine, or any part of the alimentary canal). So to recap, if you want to treat acne with probiotics, do it with ones that live with oxygen and not with ones that you eat and live inside of you. Hope this helps!!
fernando perez
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Angelic80s » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:47 am

fernando perez wrote:For those of you confused about the whole probiotics in yogurt and in water and the ones you eat/drink and what not, here's the deal: probiotics is bacteria, and just like human cells, bacteria have the ability to produce energy in an aerobic and anaerobic manner. What does that mean? There are certain bacteria that thrive in places where oxygen is available, hence the term aerobic, whereas there are bacteria that thrive through fermentation rather than cellular respiration. I know there are a lot of biological terms here, but the point is that there are some probiotics that do not need oxygen to live, which are the ones found in the yogurt. Those probiotics will not do anything to your skin if applied as yogurt because they cannot survive in the presence of oxygen; they are anaerobes. However, there are certain bacteria, probiotics of course, that do need oxygen to survive, and those are the ones you want to put on your skin. The other forms will live inside your body where oxygen is not available (fyi oxygen travels through the bloodstream to the multiple cells of our bodies that encompass all of our bodily structures, such as our organs, tissues, etc, and is not found inside the stomach, intestine, or any part of the alimentary canal). So to recap, if you want to treat acne with probiotics, do it with ones that live with oxygen and not with ones that you eat and live inside of you. Hope this helps!!

You don't put them on your skin.
You take them orally. Their benefit to the skin is via their effect on your gut. Similar to how eating certain foods and avoiding certain foods can improve your skin.
Angelic80s
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Sebastian » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:06 pm

If you get you symptomps back then you are not adressing the root cause, sibo seems to be in your case a part of the problem. I would advice to ditch the dermatologist and find a ND (with training in functional medicine) that you can work with in cunjuction with your gastro doc.

Healing is easy
Sebastian
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby David Pascoe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:44 am

You may also want to have a look at a paper related to small intestinal bacterial overgrowth - SIBO Eradication Clears Rosacea (Rifaximin/Xifaxan)
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby sfwd » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:40 am

I've got Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (IBO). 80% of my gut flora is Strep!

I had this tested via a stool sample, sent to Bioscreen in Melbourne, Australia. There is a direct correlation between IBO and Rosacea. I contacted Bioscreen to ask whether I could rely on the treatment regime for IBO working for SIBO, as no doubt I've got bad bacteria hanging around in there also and their reply was:

As the sample travels through both the small and large bowel we cannot definitively diagnose that the overgrowth we would report specifically comes from either the small or the large bowel. Usually your practitioner will be able to decide whether they want to also do a breath test, or whether they are happy that the symptoms and results match what they clinically expect.

Because the treatment I'm undertaking for IBO is so similar to SIBO I reckon it doesn't matter. It will work for both. I'm going to first kill as much of the bacteria as possible with herbal treatments and a very restricted diet (starting with a bone broth fast for four days). Then I'll introduce good bacteria and probiotic foods. But at this stage the Strep will just eat up all the probiotic supplements and use the probiotic food to create D-lactate, which is pretty bad for you.

If you want to check out what I'm doing I'm putting it all into a blog http://baluongaville.blogspot.co.nz/. I started it years ago to test a ketogenic diet - it made me so sick I had to stop it. I'm now wondering if it was "die off". Note this is not a Rosacea blog, rather a gut blog.
sfwd
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SUnel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:36 am

The only (that I know and used) way to get rid of SIBO without contentional antibiotics, is to use Oregano Oil, which is like antibiotic, but doesn't kill off the old bacteria.

I used it with Betaine HCI and had great results. Try it :-)
SUnel
I'm new here
I'm new here

Previous

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments