Tetralysal 300mg struggling and needing advice please

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

Tetralysal 300mg struggling and needing advice please

Postby jenny » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi again, I have recently (2 weeks) been taking my newly prescribed antibiotic Tetralysal 300mg once a day and am dissapointed with the results so far. I was put on Oxytetracycline 250mg 2 x a day by my own GP a couple of months ago after a bad flare up, inbetween my hospital apointments with my Derm. I found the Oxytetracycline very effective, with reduced redness and papules, it was visibly working. My Derm however at my next apointment insisted I was on the wrong antibiotic for Rosacea and changed my prescription to Tetralysal I thought he knew what he was doing so accepted the change. What a dissapointment, not only do I find that my skin is redder and itchy, the papules are more obvious, though not as bad as before starting antibiotics. On closer inspection of the contents of both tablets I find that they both contain the same ingrediants, but as I am only prescribed 1 Tetralysal a day I am actually taking less of the drug my skin so obviously needs, hence the flare ups! Is it just me or do these so called doctors know what they are doing? I am so frustrated and I cant even see my Derm again until November, grrrrrrrrrrrr (frustrated). Can anyone tell me if the treatment I am on is right, is the dosage right, will it just take time to kick in, or am I destined to be treated by clueless doctors who think they know better than me and my sympathetic GP, (who by the way is now reluctant to step on my Derms toes and put me back on Oxytetracycline)???
jenny
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Re: Tetralysal 300mg struggling and needing advice please

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:34 am

Is there an option to email or call the derm? Plainly state that you know your own skin, and you notice a big difference, and would like what you had before.

I don't feel comfortable advising anything else.....
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby jenny » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks Cathy, I will try and find out if I can, its different in the UK, as the Derm is NHS not private, so access is limited. May go back to my GP again in a week if things dont improve.
jenny
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:34 am

Oh, that's annoying that you can't just call; I'm sorry!

But really, if you see your GP more than your derm, he should listen to you and not be afraid to step on the derm's toes, especially if he can see (and you, who know your body, claim) that the old way was better.

(hug)

I was on quickly last night, but as to the dosage being correct, etc. it's frustratingly different for everyone. For example, me--time-release Oracea works, but generic, non-time-release doxycyline, even though "technically" it's the same medication, doesn't.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Seren » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:08 am

Hi Jenny
I am in the UK too. I have just been prescribed Tetralysal 300 (initially for 2 months) and finacea gel. Like you, I take 1 capsule per day (which seems to be the recommended doseage for rosacea). Feeling disillusioned with my GP, I saved up and got a private appointment with a dermatologist. It cost me £110, but I think it was worth it. I was told the Tetralysal and Finacea can take a few weeks before any marked improvement can be seen, however I am on day 4 of the treatment and have not had any new p&p outbreaks (usually had 2-3 new every day!) so I am quite happy to stick with it and give it a chance. For me, 2 months seems like a lifetime to have to wait to see what will happen, but I will.

I was previously prescribed Oxytetracycline 2x per day, but I had very little improvement on that course of treatment.

I understand what you mean about your GP not wanting to tread on the Derm's toes. Is it a case of your Derm gives a recommended treatment to your GP, but it is actually your GP that writes the prescription?

If you were happy on the Oxytetracycline, and seeing positive results with it then I would march back in to see your GP and tell them you want to go back on the Oxytetracycline. It all depends on whether you are prepared to give the Tetralysal 300 a chance. Just make sure to discuss with your GP if you can switch between the 2 without a break.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and I hope you find treatment that works for you soon.
Lead me not into temptation.......I can find it myself!
Seren
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby jenny » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 am

Hi Seren and Cathy, thanks for your advice. I will give the Tetralysal a chance to work, was feeling cross and frustrated when I wrote my post. My GP does write the prescription, after I see the Derm at the Hospital. I think this must be a way of keeping the costs down for the Hospital Trust, and passing the burden on to the local GP's. Typical of the NHS! Its a shame you had to pay to see your Derm Seren, you should have got that on the NHS, but the waiting lists are long, I have been waiting 6 months for patch testing, as so many products set my skin off and the apointment has been changed 4 times. I now have an apointment for 14th November, we will see if it happens! It may be the sudden change over to Tetralysal that is causing a reaction, so will give it time to settle down. My Derm is doing the patch test anyway, I can talk to him then about any changes. Good luck with your treatment I hope it works for you, as long term antibiotics seems to be the way to go (hug). Not using any topical creams though, they seem to make things far worse for me, Simple Derma Intensive Relief Lotion helps soothe my skin and relieves the itching, so will carry on with that until the patch test results.
jenny
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:40 am

For those looking for some background on Tetrasyl - it contains the active ingredient Lymecycline.

Lymecycline is a broad spectrum tetracycline that is much more soluble than regular tetracycline.

Tetrasyl is made by Galderma.

Be sure to also checkout my tetracycline articles as well as the minocycline articles and Oracea articles and finally the doxycycline articles.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments