Can probiotics make it worse?

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Can probiotics make it worse?

Postby ScarletDaria » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:27 pm

I've recently switched to a heavier dose of probiotic, one with more strains and billions of bacteria per pill. I've been ramping up the dosage over the last three weeks. I'm doing this mainly to heal my gut as I suspect leaky gut syndrome after eating years of gluten.

I had thought that eliminating all grains from my diet and switching to my anti-inflammatory diet would help my rosacea, but it has worsened and I'm breaking out like never before.
Anyone else had the experience of rosacea worsening on probiotics and does this eventually clear up? I'm thinking it could be related to die off of bad bacteria?
ScarletDaria
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Can probiotics make it worse?

Postby amethystice215 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:39 pm

I noticed this somewhat too, although it could have been other things but it seemed when I took probiotics my face got worse. And it was worse when i tried changing my diet as well... go figure.
amethystice215
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby oldredlady » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:37 am

Hi Scarlet,

That's a good question. My skin has always been breakout prone, no matter what my diet, so maybe it's a combination of diet reaction and/or biology coming into play, depending on your skin's past history. Of course as your body eliminates toxins/bad bacteria it may well choose the skin as its elimination route, as it's our largest excretory organ.

I was considering supplementing with probiotics, but will hold off for now. Do let us know if things improve in the near future; if so, we'll know it was likely a bacterial elimination.

Good luck and best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Mike T » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:11 am

Hi Scarlet,

I have heard of the die-off effect from antibiotics were symptoms get worse before they better.

I'm not sure if this extends to probiotics. Personally I wouldn't have thought so.

Maybe you have altered other aspects of your diet or are reacting to a seperate trigger all together which coincides with the start of the probiotics.

Maybe you have a sensitivity or allergy to the fermented foods or milk derivitives within the probiotics you are taking. I know that in general these things tend to trigger symptoms in quite a few Rosaceans. Not sure how this relates when their in the probiotics form but it's something to think about.

I guess if your symptoms continue to detriorate your only choice is to stop the probiotics and then see if the condition improves. If your post-probiotic diet is kept the same as your pre-probiotic diet then you should be able to determine the effects of the probiotic on your condition, assuming all other triggers remain constant aswell... Overloaded my brain just rereading that (rofl)

All the best,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby ScarletDaria » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:01 am

Mike,
I understand what you are saying. :)
I have read that probiotics can also produce a "die off" effect in the body especially with the amount I'm taking, so I thought this could be a symptom of die off of the bad bacteria and/or yeast in my gut. Crazy though how something going on in your intestines would affect the skin on your face.
I hadn't thought about the ingredients in the probiotic being an issue but it is also hard to tell exactly what is in there.
The probiotics are helping my intestinal issues, so I may continue them for a little while longer and if the breakouts don't decrease I'll just stop them for a while.
ScarletDaria
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:35 am

A very long time ago, I think I was put on oral clotrimazole for the candida the allergy doc diagnosed me with, but I couldn't put up with what must have been " die off", even though they assured me it would go away. This was pre-rosacea, but I broke out like mad all over my neck, jaw, and chin. I think my cheeks a bit, too. I know it's not probiotics, but thought it interesting the same thing happens.
Last edited by CrabbyCathy on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wrong medication name
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby ScarletDaria » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:36 pm

My skin is getting better. (yahoo) I haven't had any new papules or pustules for a few days now. I continued on with my probiotic regimen as usual, so perhaps things will now settle back down and it was just a die off or purging of toxins.
I probably should not have increased the dosage so quickly, so word of caution to anyone else. I'm trying to learn patience. :)
ScarletDaria
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Great! :)

Today is my first day of taking Pearls IC (intensive care probiotics, triple-strength formula).
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies