Smoking and rosacea

News, information and research from the world of rosacea.

Smoking and rosacea

Postby oldredlady » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Just got a major wake up call when I read the following feature article (Scientists Trace Rosacea Triggers, the first article):

http://www.rosacea.org/rr/2008/summer/article_1.php

And here I'd always thought smoking contributed to wrinkles and ashy skin only, neither of which are a concern at present, only the redness/broken capillaries. Yet another reason for me to keep my promise and quit for the summer, hopefully I'll be able to stay cigarette free for two months and maybe then for good.

Wish me luck, after 25+ years I think I'm seriously going to need it. :)

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: Smoking and rosacea

Postby fanny » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Please, please stop smoking, it is the worst thing for your health. I'm sending out support waves to you with love.
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby amethystice215 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:32 pm

I have always thought that rosacea could have something to do with smoking in reguards to the vascular issues associated with smoking. Although my Derm says that he has never heard of rosacea being linked to smoking, and I have read that people have quit smoking onlly to have their rosacea flare after quitting (hated to read that!), I am still going to quit just because I hate this horrible habit and it is in NO way good for our health. Greatest of luck to you, you can do it and so can I! ;) so far today (it's 1138 am and I have had 1.5 cigarettes :) The chantix really helps but they make my stomache feel yucky for 20 min or so after i take it but i suppose it is worth it in the long run. Have you ever tried chantix to help stop smoking?
amethystice215
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby David Pascoe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:45 pm

All the best to both of you thinking about quiting. There will be so many benefits from quitting, so we will be hoping for a smooth ride for you!
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:10 am

Thank you to everyone for being so supportive. After reading the article, I realized my biggest rosacea issues (redness and capillaries) are the ones directly linked to smoking. Much as I will miss it after 25+ years, I realize it's time to try yet again to say goodbye to cig's for good. Am going to use the patches and lots and lots of sugarless gum and hopefully this time it will take.

Amethystice, maybe you should show the above to your derm., he might then speak with his rosacea patients about the dangers of smoking. I only wish I'd known about this years ago, I might have made better decisions. Wrinkles have never scared me all that much, as I'm pretty much wrinkle free, but this is a major bummer.

Will let you know if it helps my rosacea, I think it probably will. At any rate it can't hurt anything.

Thanks again and best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Mike T » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:06 pm

All the best guys,

It will be tough but I'm sure you can do it.

Aside from the major wide spread health benifits, cost savings and influence on those around you I would say it would undoubtedly assist you in your battle against Rosacea.

Keep us updated on your progress.

All the best,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Mike T wrote:Aside from the major wide spread health benifits, cost savings and influence on those around you I would say it would undoubtedly assist you in your battle against Rosacea.

Just on the cost savings bit (emphasis added) - I'm sure smokers know full well how much a packet of cigarettes cost, but I was shocked to see that they are now basically $20 a packet here in Australia. Serious investment required to maintain a habit!
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Yikes, $20 a pack? And here I'd thought NC was shameless for raising the price to $3.

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby RosyRed » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Smoking is something Ive been trying to get rid of for years. Ive come to the conclusion that nothing will make you stop except yourself. No matter how many pills, patches, or electric shock treatments, it all comes down to you and how bad you want it. Im going to give it another push this summer, I just can't take the rediculous prices along with the fact that I don't "enjoy" smoking anymore. I think it has finally come to that time after 15 years.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Rosy
RosyRed
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Good for you!
Good luck with quitting.
All the best
Fanny
fanny