Diagnosed 4 months ago, new to the site

Have you just been diagnosed with rosacea ? This is the forum for you. You can walk out of the doctor's office with a head full of questions and feeling overwhelmed. Well settle in here and see that you head in the right direction to get some good relief from your symptoms.

Diagnosed 4 months ago, new to the site

Postby LarsMM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with Rosacea in August ago, here's you how it started:

Three summers ago i started being out in the sun a lot more, I might add that I live in the northern parts of Sweden, so the summers are generally quite hot and sunny while the winters are quite cold and dark. The first summer - when I was 20 - everything was fine and subsequently the following winter passed without any issues. However; after the second summer I noticed a slight redness i my face that stayed on the whole winter. Fist I went to a regular doctor and even though he ran a few tests he couldn't tell me wheat the problem was. He told me I shouldn't worry since the redness was at that time "barley noticeable".

At the end of the third summer (2010) I went to another doctor and got the same response. After this visit I got somewhat frustrated since I was well aware that I had not been this red a few years earlier, as a result I started reading online and came across rosacea. I got an appointment with a dermatologist and she confirmed that I had stage one rosacea. At this time the redness had become more noticeable.

I have now been using finacea since I got the diagnosis but I have not noticed a big difference. I should add that I've not been using it on a daily basis all through December (even quite for about two weeks), this was because my skin gets very dried up when I have it on during the winter. But I've now gotten my act together and use it during the night and use a moisturize cream from time to time.

Ever since last summer I've been more and more down because of how I look and how hot my face gets. I rarely go out during the weekends, and I've become much less keen on speeding time with my friends and acquaintances. I work at a store in where there are bright and warm lights, during my hours at work my face can get really red and hot. When I wear the finacea the reddening also seems to get worse while my face itches. The red parts of my face are mainly the temples and top part of the cheeks. I have now idea if this i going to get worse or better as time passes.

It's was great to find this site and read the other threads, helped me alot :) I'd really like to know if you've got some tips for me, is for example finacea a good way to treat rosacea or is it something that you think might work better? I've also read about this "SIBO-treatment", is that something that can work? Thanks for your replies!

/L
LarsMM
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Diagnosed 4 months ago, new to the site

Postby Aurelia » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:32 am

Hello Lars and welcome to our group (wave)

You were very sensible checking on your skin at such an early stage. Many of us aren't diagnosed with rosacea until it is quite advanced. Being diagnosed at stage one greatly increases your chances of preventing any progression, so well done!

The symptoms you have mentioned are classic - red and hot. No mention of pustules or papules or any other kind of bumps, yet even the manufacturers of Finacea admit that it really isn't designed for rosaceans whose skin is perfectly smooth. This is from their official web site:

INDICATION & USAGE
FINACEA is indicated for topical treatment of inflammatory papules and pustules of mild to moderate rosacea. Although some reduction of erythema which was present in patients with papules and pustules of rosacea occurred in clinical studies, efficacy for treatment of erythema in rosacea in the absence of papules and pustules has not been evaluated.

http://www.finacea-us.com/en/about-finacea/index.php

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that if someone has the papulopustular form of rosacea and Finacea is used to heal those particular symptoms, then whatever redness they were causing is likely to diminish, but plain redness all on its own might not be helped.

LarsMM wrote:When I wear the finacea the reddening also seems to get worse while my face itches.

We are not doctors, so wouldn't dream of contradicting your dermatologist, but you might want to go back to your dermatologist (or even your physician) and explain what effect the Finacea is having and ask if something less of an irritant might work better for you.

LarsMM wrote:Ever since last summer I've been more and more down because of how I look and how hot my face gets. I rarely go out during the weekends, and I've become much less keen on speeding time with my friends and acquaintances. I work at a store in where there are bright and warm lights, during my hours at work my face can get really red and hot.

That is sad, and we certainly sympathise. Are your family and friends supportive, or do you not discuss the rosacea with them? Have you tried the standard cooling down tricks like regularly taking sips of iced water and wearing cooler clothing, sitting near a fan if possible, etc.?

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby LarsMM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I spoke to my dermatologist a couple of weeks ago, and just as you pointed out I was unsure whether finacea actually worked on plain redness. She told me it did. But I have to say when I read what you posted I'm starting to wonder if she is right, I think I'll have a look into that.

I've not tried having ice water, but it seems like a good idea. When I splash my face with clod water the redness almost goes away (at least until i dry up), one would hope that should work in similar manner (just not as effective, but still).

When you say "greatly increases your chances of preventing any progression", is there any chance for me to reduce the redness or is it my best bet working towards the redness staying in its current state?

And another think I've been wondering - if I had not been lying out in the sun as much as I did during those summers, would I have avoided being red? Or is this something that I would have gotten eventually, regardless of what I'd have done.
LarsMM
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi Lars,

If you will forgive me for dealing with your points in reverse order:

LarsMM wrote:... I've been wondering - if I had not been lying out in the sun as much as I did during those summers, would I have avoided being red? Or is this something that I would have gotten eventually, regardless of what I'd have done.

A lot of rosaceans blame themselves for causing their rosacea, which is really sad. A good example is our pal Gretsky41, who felt a lot of remorse over ultraviolet light treatment (for psoriasis) that helped bring on his rosacea. Have you read the first few messages in his thread "bad days, good days, and celebrating small victories"?
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2546

As explained there, you wouldn't have developed rosacea without the genetic susceptibility to it, and then it could have happened in one of very many ways that you couldn't reasonably have foreseen. It makes a lot of sense to educate ourselves about possible risks and try to avoid them, but most of us don't know anything about rosacea until we get it, and then we learn about all the things we shouldn't have been doing! That's life, eh?

LarsMM wrote:When you say "greatly increases your chances of preventing any progression", is there any chance for me to reduce the redness or is it my best bet working towards the redness staying in its current state?

Reversing the redness is harder than, for example, fighting papules and pustules, but it certainly is possible. It's just that no one can say "use this and you'll definitely be helped" since no one treatment has ever worked all the time for all rosaceans, hence the great element of trial and error with rosacea. Have you read any of David Pascoe's links about fighting erythema, for example this one?
http://rosacea-support.org/how-to-cure- ... dness.html

LarsMM wrote:I've not tried having ice water, but it seems like a good idea. When I splash my face with clod water the redness almost goes away (at least until i dry up), one would hope that should work in similar manner (just not as effective, but still).

Cold water on the face is good, but best make sure it isn't iced because if it's too cold, you might trigger rebound redness instead. As for sipping chilled water, that helps cool the whole system including the face, just as really hot drinks, hot soup, etc., warm us up completely. Some rosaceans enjoy letting frozen berries melt in the mouth. Today, I had some gorgeous, plump cherries and instead of eating them at room temperature, I chilled them in the fridge (not the freezer) and each was even more refreshing than usual! :P

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Return to Just Diagnosed with Rosacea