Sumatriptan for flushing

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

Sumatriptan for flushing

Postby WrinkledClue » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi everybody,

As I've gotten older, my rosacea has progressed, and it's now to the point where my flushes can be triggered rapidly and almost instantaneously engulf my face in a red hot mess. It's hard to stop once it gets started.

I've noticed that foods that trigger migraines in susceptible people trigger flushes in me -- foods full of tyramines, (google it), fermented foods, aged foods like cheese.

I read that migraines hurt because of inappropriate vasodilation of the cerebral vasculature. Well, that's certainly what happens to my face when a flush bomb goes off.

Tonight I was reading quietly in my cold place, and BLAMMO, another sudden horrible flush began. Some of us know the kind-- you can tell quickly that it's going to be nasty, it's going to last all night and ruin your evening and make you feel like crud into tomorrow. It's true my rosacea is worse than most.

Anyhow, tonight for the first time, I took one of my husband's migraine meds, Sumatriptan. I took it within five minutes of my flush starting, and only because I could tell the flush was going to be a hellish one.

Amazingly, within twenty minutes, the flush began to recede, and within an hour, it was mostly gone. I was floored.

I'm going to read more about this, but for those of us who are 1. very heavy flushers, and who 2. react by flushing to foods that trigger migraines, (google the Buchholz diet), maybe Sumatriptan is another weapon with which to push back against this disabling rosacea.

I'd love to hear from those of you who use Sumatriptan or Imitrex or Treximet for migraines, and hear what affect it has on your face.

Wikipedia tells me, "In July 2009, the United States FDA approved Sumavel DosePro(R). This is a unique pre-filled, single-use delivery system for 6 mg subcutaneous sumatriptan. It has no needle, and uses gas pressure as a power source. The drug is delivered in less than 100 msec. Sumavel DosePro is about the size of a white board marker or fat felt-tipped pen, and became available for prescription in the USA in early 2010; a corresponding product application has been filed in Europe.

This tells me we might be able to get some relief fairly rapidly, if the drug gets into your system fast.

Maybe something to talk to your doctor about?
WrinkledClue
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Re: Sumatriptan for flushing

Postby Mike T » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Very interesting.

Some Rosaceans have reported similar benifits from using Panadol or Dynamon, which are commonly used for migranes.
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby Naturaltreatments » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:49 am

The alpha blocker medicine commonly used by rosacea sufferers, clonidine, is licensed for use in certain types of headaches. Have you tried this or a similar alpha blocker?
Naturaltreatments
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby WrinkledClue » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:10 pm

I do take Clonidine, yes. I take 50 micrograms every 8 hours, and it blunts a lot of the flushing.

But it doesn't control all of them. Neither does the Remeron I take to stop flushing, either.

I know you can't use the Sumatriptan daily like you do Clonidine and Remeron, but I was so interested to see it helping the occasional break through flush, the ones that arrive suddenly and take over much of my face and torment me with great pain for hours.

I go in soon for my annual physical and plan to talk to my doctor about this.
WrinkledClue
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby bellableu » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:19 pm

WC, I so appreciate your posts. As awful as it is that you have such severe flushing, your experimentation & research brings such great information to the rest of us!

I have a history of migraine headaches (years ago, VERY frequent - now quite rare), and the tyramine connection is interesting to me. The foods to avoid on a migraine diet/tyramine avoidance diet/tannin avoidance diet/etc., are loaded with overlaps. So interesting!
Subtypes I, II, IV - mild to moderate

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby mrsp » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:00 am

I've experienced migraines my entire adult life and I can tell you that while Sumatriptan can leave you as pale as a ghost, it has a pretty powerful rebound effect for me--and I don't even consider myself a flusher any longer. One of the few times I do flush is about 12 to 24 hours after taking the migraine medication. The redness is usually diminished later that day.
mrsp
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments