Redness when smiling or laughing

What is the difference between blushing and flushing, how is that related to my rosacea and how do I treat it ? Stop in here for all your answers.

Redness when smiling or laughing

Postby kenco » Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi,

i am new to this group and wondered if anyone can help me or got any tips. I have severe redness of the face when i simply smile or laugh. I have had this problem develop over the last couple of years. If i just contort my face in any way the blood is so very visible on the surface of my skin. This is on my nose, cheecks and forehead but not my chin???? This is regularly mistaken for blushing and i feel really damages my confidence. Can anyone help me with anything i can do to prevent this??????

Thanks (blush)
kenco
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Redness when smiling or laughing

Postby Mike T » Wed May 26, 2010 8:15 am

This is a vascular issue.

I have the exact same thing and i can also second that it is very frustrating.

My face tends to go a bit red for about a minute after i yawn, laugh or sneeze.

I spoke to my dermatologist a few days ago about laser therapy to reduce the vascular network below the skin which leads to the flushing.

He strongly disagreed and explained that any laser therapy before visable signs of exposed surface veins will do more harm than good.

I will trust his judgment in this case considering he has nothing to gain personally by telling me not to go ahead with the laser therapy.

I find clonodine which was prescribed by my GP helps with the flushing. My derm however advised against long term use of this drug when he found out i was using it. Long term being years.

Regards,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby kenco » Thu May 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Mike,

You sound like we have excatly the same sort of skin, so damn annoying! When i yawn etc im very much the same, even eating but it at its worst if i contort my face any way! Sad thing is when i was younger i thought i was a blusher for ages and had so many treatments to combat that, eg ETS Surgery, IPL Laser, Yag Laser, Botox, Hypnothearpy etc etc. But now after proper examination of my skin this i feel is the only way i go red. It like my skin is ultra dilated, so bad after booze etc the next day. Oh well pose just got attcept it mate.

Cheers Kenco
kenco
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby kenco » Mon May 31, 2010 10:58 am

Hi, just to say thankyou one and all who have replied to my posts. Aurelia thankyou ever so much for all your links advice, i am going to give the v beam ago and maybe some ipls. Gotta do something.

Thanks guys all the best with yours xxxxxxx
kenco
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Mon May 31, 2010 11:30 am

kenco wrote:Hi, just to say thankyou one and all who have replied to my posts. Aurelia thankyou ever so much for all your links advice, i am going to give the v beam ago and maybe some ipls. Gotta do something.

Thanks guys all the best with yours xxxxxxx

You are more than welcome and we all wish you the very best. You have spirit, and that is a really important asset in the fight against rosacea. (yes)

However, if anyone reading the above is puzzled because they missed seeing the links referred to, it was in a corresponding thread at our email-based board, the Rosacea Support Group. Here is the entire thread:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ro ... r=1&tidx=1

Best of luck to you, Kenco. Please let us know how you get on.

Kindest regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Rkon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi kenco,

I know it’s been a couple years since you’ve posted but I have thankfully stumbled upon your post in my research. I had the ETS surgery a couple months ago which was successful for what I needed it for. However, I am now seeing this symptom of my face turning red when I laugh or smile or yawn, etc. just like you. I know I didn’t have this before the surgery. I’m starting to think that I have developed rosascea. I am writing to you in hopes that you will respond and let me know if you’ve come to any conclusion after all these years. Do you know what you have now and if so, what are you doing/have done to fix it?
Rkon
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby kenco » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi Rkon,

How it going mate. Oddly I’ve come on here out the blue and stumbled across my old post that I totally forgot about. To be honest mate my skin always been sensitive I think. After ETS I did seem to recognise redness when I laughed or smiled, yawned and that. Since my ets in 2007 which was a damn major recovery to say the least. I took me 6 months to a year to fill half normal with many weird sensations pains in head etc something that I never had before! The ETS operation is scarily marketed like jump on the operations table and go back to work the next day. Which as whole and to be is complete and utter bollocks pardon my French. As you prob know yourself it’s preety major and highly enternal. So plainly obvious that to have something done like that is no walk in the park. Without doubt in stressful anxious situation I feel I prob still blush but feel all this very much relates to anxiety. If I get a good 7 to 8 hours sleep I a thousand times more calmer and don’t really feel this majorly happens. I have tried the lot in terms of combating and redness and as I’ve posted before redness when laughing smiling as been a real insecurity for me. But I use regular moisturiser nothing expensive only cheap one from Tesco’s here in the UK. There own brand. I have had a few iPl and recently v beam and really now it as good as it can be. I’ve tried Mirvaso which was alwful to say the least with terrible rebound redness and make my skin look down right off. Certainly wasn’t for me. Guess mate just try and make my skin look as good as possible and now being 39 years old feel I’ve do and done all I can.Hope this help anyone in my opinion would avoid ets not that I’ve come off terrible but definately effected me a great deal. I do feel it’s marketed quite corruptly and certainly no easy thing for anyone to have done. You are basically talking about the main thermostat of your body being tinkered with. It’s damn right crazy. So I here by the surgeon it does help many people. But to be honest I’m not so sure. For me and for how miserable I was it was out there so had to try it and now doing so would not dare do anything like that to my body ever again. But you live and learn and guess it still being done by surgeon. Do feel there need to be 1000% more regulation of it and results assessed. For example how can anyone quantify there blushing issue to what it is then like after the ets operation. It is a dodgy ground and i feel it a stab in the dark for the patient who has its done and the surgeon who practices it! Literally (rofl) On a serious note I truly hope your op was a success for you mate and it has actually helped you with the issue you had. All the best to anyone suffering from this prob :)
kenco
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Rkon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:04 am

Hi Kenco,

Thanks for responding!
Doing the v beam and pico genesis laser and it seems to be working.

On another note, I’m starting to see some psychological side effects. Like I don’t have excitement anymore and feeling antisocial. Did any of this happen to you?

Also, I noticed when i drink alcohol, my body can’t handle it anymore. The next day I have major anxiety and feel crazy. Are you still drinking? How has it affected you?

I’m 33 years old and living in Florida trying to get my life together after a year now with the surgery. I’m finding it difficult to socialize and want to do anything besides being a hermit at home.

Thanks!
Rkon
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Blushing & Flushing