Redness when smiling or laughing

What is the difference between blushing and flushing, how is that related to my rosacea and how do I treat it ? Stop in here for all your answers.

Redness when smiling or laughing

Postby kenco » Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi,

i am new to this group and wondered if anyone can help me or got any tips. I have severe redness of the face when i simply smile or laugh. I have had this problem develop over the last couple of years. If i just contort my face in any way the blood is so very visible on the surface of my skin. This is on my nose, cheecks and forehead but not my chin???? This is regularly mistaken for blushing and i feel really damages my confidence. Can anyone help me with anything i can do to prevent this??????

Thanks (blush)
kenco
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Redness when smiling or laughing

Postby Mike T » Wed May 26, 2010 8:15 am

This is a vascular issue.

I have the exact same thing and i can also second that it is very frustrating.

My face tends to go a bit red for about a minute after i yawn, laugh or sneeze.

I spoke to my dermatologist a few days ago about laser therapy to reduce the vascular network below the skin which leads to the flushing.

He strongly disagreed and explained that any laser therapy before visable signs of exposed surface veins will do more harm than good.

I will trust his judgment in this case considering he has nothing to gain personally by telling me not to go ahead with the laser therapy.

I find clonodine which was prescribed by my GP helps with the flushing. My derm however advised against long term use of this drug when he found out i was using it. Long term being years.

Regards,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby kenco » Thu May 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Mike,

You sound like we have excatly the same sort of skin, so damn annoying! When i yawn etc im very much the same, even eating but it at its worst if i contort my face any way! Sad thing is when i was younger i thought i was a blusher for ages and had so many treatments to combat that, eg ETS Surgery, IPL Laser, Yag Laser, Botox, Hypnothearpy etc etc. But now after proper examination of my skin this i feel is the only way i go red. It like my skin is ultra dilated, so bad after booze etc the next day. Oh well pose just got attcept it mate.

Cheers Kenco
kenco
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby kenco » Mon May 31, 2010 10:58 am

Hi, just to say thankyou one and all who have replied to my posts. Aurelia thankyou ever so much for all your links advice, i am going to give the v beam ago and maybe some ipls. Gotta do something.

Thanks guys all the best with yours xxxxxxx
kenco
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Mon May 31, 2010 11:30 am

kenco wrote:Hi, just to say thankyou one and all who have replied to my posts. Aurelia thankyou ever so much for all your links advice, i am going to give the v beam ago and maybe some ipls. Gotta do something.

Thanks guys all the best with yours xxxxxxx

You are more than welcome and we all wish you the very best. You have spirit, and that is a really important asset in the fight against rosacea. (yes)

However, if anyone reading the above is puzzled because they missed seeing the links referred to, it was in a corresponding thread at our email-based board, the Rosacea Support Group. Here is the entire thread:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ro ... r=1&tidx=1

Best of luck to you, Kenco. Please let us know how you get on.

Kindest regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Rkon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi kenco,

I know it’s been a couple years since you’ve posted but I have thankfully stumbled upon your post in my research. I had the ETS surgery a couple months ago which was successful for what I needed it for. However, I am now seeing this symptom of my face turning red when I laugh or smile or yawn, etc. just like you. I know I didn’t have this before the surgery. I’m starting to think that I have developed rosascea. I am writing to you in hopes that you will respond and let me know if you’ve come to any conclusion after all these years. Do you know what you have now and if so, what are you doing/have done to fix it?
Rkon
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Blushing & Flushing