Does Honey work with Rosacea & seb Derm?

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Does Honey work with Rosacea & seb Derm?

Postby jkabc » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Hey all,
I've been diagnosed with seb derm and rosacea about 3 weeks ago. I've had two significant flareups since then where the redness lasted about 3 days for my face to recover. Doc gave me Slenium 2.5% shampoo for seb derm and told me to put on my cheeks/nose as well for rosacea. This actually caused my first and most severe breakout (ever) the very next morning and peel off my skin. So stopped using that for now and using the Metronidazole tpoical .75% once at night, not sure what or how it works. So does honey work on rosacea? What regimen is recommened for metrogel/moist combo? What should I put on after honey?

Thanks
jkabc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Does Honey work with Rosacea & seb Derm?

Postby Auburn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:24 pm

jkabc wrote:
So does honey work on rosacea? [...] What should I put on after honey?

HI,

You might have heard of the raw honey masks/virgin coconut oil treatment, which works well for seb derm. A number of rosaceans have reported that raw honey masks seem to help with some of the symptoms (namely redness and papules/pustules).

Both raw honey and virgin coconut oil are excellent skin conditioners and complement each other very well. It is important that you use raw (as in unheated/unprocessed) honey, which contains live enzymes and virgin coconut oil, which has not been refined. It's also important that the water you use to mix with the honey be either chlorine-free or bottled (you can use regular tap water to rinse the raw honey mask off, though).

For detailed instructions and reports follow the links below:

Primer: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea ... hp?t=20789

My own experience and how I came up with the raw honey/virgin coconut treatment: blog/Auburn/how_i_successfully_treated_my_seb_derm_b-6.html

Other seb derm user's experiences (with before and after photos):

Damien: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea ... hp?t=20996

Dan: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea ... hp?t=20772

Wits: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea ... hp?t=20786

Legends: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea ... hp?t=20548

Regards,

Auburn

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Auburn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:40 pm

PS: Please spot-test first: dab raw honey mixed with a drop of water and dab on a small area of your face or neck, leave it on for three hours then rinse off with plain water. If you start the treatment for seb derm, expect some ups and downs during the first two weeks; stay the course and your skin will likely clear within a month, longer if you've used steroid creams regularly.

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sat May 01, 2010 9:46 pm

I personally tried this just for rosacea--mainly for papules. I can say that leaving honey on for 10-20 minutes max has never hurt my skin and in fact leaves it very soft. However, if you have very sensitive skin and only rosacea, please be careful. I assumed since my skin was okay with it for 20 minutes in the past, and for 3 hours the very first time, I would be fine all the time.

So, the first time I left it on for 3 hours, everything was fine. The next time, I only had time for 1 hour, and things were starting to sting a bit. The last and final time, I had time for 3 hours again (this was all within a week), and this is what sent my skin into a horrible reactive state that is only just beginning to calm down. Honestly, I felt it stinging and burning and should have rinsed it off the last time, but I thought "well, how can it be harming my skin? It made it look so great the first time." My forehead looked and felt like I had a sunburn (and I shun the sun like nobody's business), and the rest just itched, stung, and burned, in addition to being beet red also. It still does a bit, but I can at least now use my regular skincare products, which I couldn't before at all.

Am I blaming honey? No! My skin just didn't like it being left on for that long. Seb derm, however, is another issue and I have seen pictures of this treatment working wonderfully, and of course, there is Auburn as proof!
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Mike T » Sat May 01, 2010 10:54 pm

The exact same thing happened to me.

3 hrs is fine the first few times i used it. But the last time i left it on longer because i thought it would be more effective. I felt the stinging but because i used it before without problems i thought it would be ok. When i rinsed it of had red cheecks which took a few days to settle down.

I will try again but only for less than 3 hrs. Never anymore.
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby Auburn » Sun May 02, 2010 12:51 am

Cathy,

What kind/brand of honey did you use?

Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun May 02, 2010 1:56 am

Let me go look. Okay, trying to memorize it all didn't work, haha.

Virgin California, Wild Flower Honey, Amen Bee Products, San Martin, Ca. It also says "Guaranteed to BEE local--California--Unheated, Unfiltered, and Unprocessed Honey. No sugar, antibiotics, or corn syrup have been fed to our bees." Another sticker says "Local--Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, and San Mateo Counties." I bought it at my local Whole Foods! Was very happy to find it.

I think seb derm responds well to the honey, and either rosacea doesn't, or some people just have super-sensitive skin. In a few months, I will use it again, but for 10 minutes.
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Auburn » Sun May 02, 2010 3:33 am

CrabbyCathy wrote:
Virgin California, Wild Flower Honey, Amen Bee Products, San Martin, Ca. It also says "Guaranteed to BEE local--California--Unheated, Unfiltered, and Unprocessed Honey. No sugar, antibiotics, or corn syrup have been fed to our bees." Another sticker says "Local--Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, and San Mateo Counties." I bought it at my local Whole Foods! Was very happy to find it.

So it's regular raw honey and (sounds like) from a good apiary.

I think seb derm responds well to the honey, and either rosacea doesn't, or some people just have super-sensitive skin.

I'd say the latter, based on what other rosaceans have reported.

Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Auburn » Sun May 02, 2010 3:54 am

Also, for people with sensitivities, honey may cause a skin reaction in those who are salicytate intolerant.

A salicytate food guide is available here: http://www.salicylatesensitivity.com/food-guide

Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun May 02, 2010 5:51 am

At least it's yummy! And a big jar (;)
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Next

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies