Success without drugs!! It's all in the food!

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Re: Success without drugs!! It's all in the food!

Postby CrabbyCathy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:40 am

Wow, all I did was mention a soy creamer!

I agree that it is a food! (rofl) I have eaten soy beans, tofu, and always have soy milk lattes (but prefer rice milk in my cereal). I'm not that much of a fan that I eat the first two a lot, but at an Asian restaurant, it's yummy, since they know how to spice and cook it properly (unlike me! ha ha).

I know there are debates about the estrogenic effects, etc. but this was brought up simply as an alternative to dairy. Rice, soy, almond milks--coconut, goat....I'm sure I'm missing something. Oat milk? Does that exist? Lots of choices that are not cow dairy, to be sure, but with experimentation, you can find a flavor you like! :)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby bellableu » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:05 am

Didn't mean to offend nor to open new controversy. I thought it had been well established out there in nutritional-science-land (rofl) that soy can have quite a few negative effects, and was planted as a crop to fix nitrogen - not necessarily as a food crop. Fermented soy foods are traditionally used in small amounts, not as a major source of calories. I wasn't trying to start an argument, just express my view of its usefulness as a source of nutrients for humans. I don't think we're meant to eat it as an unfermented product nor in large quantities. :)

(I edited slightly to clarify)
Subtypes I, II, IV - mild to moderate

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby LoisAnne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:00 am

(hug2) We are not arguing, Bellableu! You did not start a controversy....I just remembered about tofu and thought it funny that the Japanese eat it as a food, I am sure. It really is made into a lot of fake meat items and perhaps it should not be. Always good to learn new information!
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:12 am

(hug2) We aren't! I thought it was funny! I was like, "But...but....I ate it!" (rofl)

I do hope that one day they say YES or NO, definitively, on the estrogenic effects, because I need to know, darn it. My mother had breast cancer a few years back (the very slow-growing kind, caught at Stage 0), but it was shown to be responsive to estrogen. So maybe later in life, I might want to lay off the soy, you know?
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby forwardish » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:31 am

I've read a lot about the negative effects of unfermented soy as well.
I think the problem is more related to over exposure.
There are people who because soy is considered a "health food" assume it is okay to eat it as a primary food source, which anything you consume large amounts of is bad for you.
For example: american refined pasta

I find this post very interesting, as I just started a diet and my skin flared up, although not in exact alignment with each other.
I have been eating a lot my cheese though, maybe that's having an effect.
I avoid most gluten these days, family history of sensitivities and I'm on a low carb lifestyle anyways (23 pounds down! w000t!). Besides, I'm trying to eat low GI as well, as I have insulin resistance and half my family on both sides of the tree are diabetic.

I'll have to tweak my food choices to see the impact.
I already know some food triggers (spice has always been a trigger, MSG, wine, any alcohol really), but others I hadn't thought about.
forwardish
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Monamiga » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:37 am

I have a general food question for everyone, and I am new to this forum, so maybe I should start a new topic or something, but it seems so related to me... I purposely avoid a lot of the alternative milks and whatnot because of the additives and sugars. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on additives and their rosacea. I've always been a health-nut and never liked food additives anyway, but I have this "gut" feeling that the "non-food" portion of the foods I eat are playing a role here... any thoughts?

Here is the article I mentioned on soy, it is lengthy, so I found it online. It happens to be on a bodybuilding website... what can I say, these guys are into their testosterone! Also, I do not know who the author of the first portion is, but the scientist's letter is about halfway through, with references.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ad_protein

Going back to the liquid zinc topic... I have received it, and did the "taste test" to see if I was deficient. I came up "mildly deficient." However, I think I might look for another zinc supplement, since this particular liquid is only 8mgs per serving... It would be gone in a few days if I used this to truly supplement. But in two days of supplementing, my redness is diminished somewhat.
Monamiga
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby freeandclear » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:02 am

(blush) Megan, this diet news is so great! I have followed the no sugar, and no grains diet but i did not find the culprit. I think the amines are an issue for me. Pineapple and grapes WERE my favorite food til I read your post. Who would of thought that food, as healthy as fresh pineapple and grapes, would turn you into a recluse!

Could you PLEASE post the rest of the food you think are triggers! My skin is clearing in just a few days since finding your info...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
freeandclear
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Oakleiough » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi Megan,
I tried to fine the facebook page you talked about in you post Success without drugs!! It's all in the food! on the Rosacea Support Community
but had no success. Is there a way I could get a copy of the foods you do and do not eat when when you have bad flare ups.
Also what is the name of the chemical free cream you use that you mentioned,
I do hope you don't mind me asking just seem to be grabbing at straws at the moment,
thank you again regards Sue
Oakleiough
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby leiawhites » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi Everyone (wave)

This is my first post. I registered here because I think I found the solution to my rosacea. Not curing it but managing it pretty well. Surprisingly it's the food hahaha. Well for me personally it has never been too difficult to eat healthy, it was part of growing up. I found however that I was unable to get rid of my acne, which I also suffered from. Even though my mum fed us proper home cooked food, it took me ages to figure out that dairy was a big no no for me once I moved to England 10 years ago. Got rid of most of my acne and at this point I was already suffering from rosacea for several years. To my surprise, it not only reduced the acne but the rosacea too. This was a lightbulb moment for me. I continued experimenting with different ratios of certain food groups and turns out that more than the recommended daily allowance of sugar will freak out the "inflammatory control centre" of my body. I have a sweet tooth for cake particularly, but not much else (maybe a bit of dark chocolate:)) and it wasn't the easiest thing to say no to it most of the time. However, I think we need to look at the priorities in life and mine is to keep this beast tamed. I used to try all kinds of things externally, but I found, like probably most of you that no matter what you do on the outside, it doesn't matter as long as the inside is all over the place. I've seen the first poster shared her food list, and I thought i'll share mine too, in case it helps someone:

I avoid as much as I possibly can: fast food, energy drinks, fizzy drinks or "natural" fruit juices, too much sugar, too much salt, greasy food, spicy food, packaged bread (the ones that are not baked in store but delivered already packed and most often sliced), dairy, alcohol, coffee, crisps and meat that is too cheap for it to be true.

I found that since eating more fish, which I never used to eat back home, (bad experience with a bone almost getting stuck in my throat), my skin looks a lot better. It was harder when it came to finding a good loaf of bread - as I love bread - but I managed after about 8 long years here in the UK to find a spelt and sunflower seed bread that is baked in Sainsbury's (part of the taste the difference line). If you look into it spelt has amazing benefits including regulating blood sugar levels. I hope this helps somebody in getting on the right path to recovery.
leiawhites
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby havequestions » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:10 am

hi megan
Do you have the full list of food to not eat for sufferers of rosacea. This would be so helpful. I'm a non alcohol consuming vegan but still suffer with rosacea. thanks!
havequestions
I'm new here
I'm new here

Previous

Return to Foods & Diet