Quite the mystery...different in every state

News, information and research from the world of rosacea.

Quite the mystery...different in every state

Postby Marlen1224 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:10 am

I was diagnosed with rosacea almost 3 years ago. I had several reoccurring eye infections and was prescribed antibiotics and steroids about 6 doses in 6 months. All of a sudden a red patch appeared on my cheek.. No pain or burning. It wasn't until after I was put in doxycycline (which had a severe reaction to) that across my cheeks and nose became red and my eyes began to sting. Fast forward to the mystery. I still have redness and my cheeks are bumpy but no more problems with my eyes. Here is the mystery: I live on Long Island in NY where the water is supposed to be good. While driving to Florida last year.. We stopped in South Carolina for the night. After washing my face, my face was the worst I had ever seen it. I was horrified. Next day we made it down to Florida. We stayed at one of the theme park resorts. First night I washed my face... No redness! We were there for a week, absolutely no redness! In the sun all day long with no sunblock and I had no signs of rosacea. I came back and voila red again! I've been wracking my brain to figure out what made the redness go away? Couldn't be diet because in the theme parks there is only junk to eat. I was definitely taking in tons of water because of the heat but I'm starting to think it was the water... Anyone have something similar happen to them?
Marlen1224
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Quite the mystery...different in every state

Postby happyday » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:58 am

That is really interesting. I am living overseas and in the city, the water is quite horrible and it does nothing for my skin. My main complaint is how rough and gritty it feels. But I was just on holiday in a different place where the water is reportedly better, and my skin felt much smoother. I hadn't changed my facial routine or anything, so I am wondering as well if water has something to do with it.
happyday
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Marlen1224 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:36 am

I have a feeling how "hard" the water is has a lot to do with the redness. I have read that hard water actually dehydrates your skin... Interesting...
Marlen1224
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby happyday » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:48 am

That's really good to know. I hadn't heard. I have trouble staying hydrated in the best of times, so this would make sense. Thanks for sharing that!
happyday
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Marlen1224 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:38 am

When I went on vacation, I didn't change anything but the water. If anything my eating habits were worse than ever bc at home I eat healthy and organic... While away it was all horrible food and fried.
Marlen1224
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby happyday » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:52 am

This is why I have a hard time believing that there are food triggers for rosacea, at least for me. When I was on the same holiday where the water was less hard, I allowed myself a glass of red wine with dinner, for 5 days. If I did that at home, I would get really bad sandpapery feel to my skin, but my skin felt really soft. No change. So I don't know about food triggers anymore.
happyday
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Marlen1224 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:15 pm

I know what you mean. I have been watching every little thing I eat for almost 4 years and have not been able to figure out what causes this. As I said, I was eating all junk while away so that's when it should've been really bad and yet... No signs of anything...
Marlen1224
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby happyday » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:48 am

I've begun to look at the mind-body connection more and more. I came across this free e-book from two doctors that propose a lot of skin conditions are closely linked to emotions. It's obvious to see the mind-body connection when we feel embarrassed or angry and we blush. There's a physiological reaction to a psychological/emotional cause. Apparently, the skin is highly linked to the nervous system so it is possible that this is the case. Anyway, if you're interested, here's the link to the online pdf. If you care to share your thoughts on it, I'd love to her it.

http://grossbart.com/SkinDeep.pdf
happyday
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Rosacea Research and News