Derm in a Week

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

Derm in a Week

Postby ziggR » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:38 am

Hello everyone,
I have finally come to the day when I get to see my derm and after much research am not sure exactly what route to take.
Im currently in a bad spot, still struggling to find a good moisturizer so my skin is extra sensitive.

Just to remind everyone i suffer mostly from the redness, not so much any bumps.
I was considering Finacea because it seems many people have had good luck with it.
I was also considering pushing my derm for Accutane because of this article. This guys symptoms are almost identical to mine.
http://rosacea-support.org/low-dose-accutane
Metrogel makes me nervous as more people have problems with it than anything.

Any final recommendations !!!

Thanks!
ziggR
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Derm in a Week

Postby fanny » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi
So glad you get to see your derm. Accutane is a very serious drug with many bad side effects and as you have no bumps I'm not sure why you would consider it. Some people have great success with finacea, which does not seem to have many long term bad side effects.
Best of luck
fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Have you tried Metrogel? A lot of people do use it without irritation, but you won't know until you try.

I don't know how serious your case of redness is, but Accutane is very powerful, as Fanny said, and I personally think it would be best to try other routes first.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Agree with Fanny and Cathy, unless you have severe bumps and even then I'd try other alternatives, (as Metrogel, Finacea and/or Oracea) before trying Accutane, due to its strength and potential for serious side effects.

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby ziggR » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm

I appreciate all the advice I will make sure to keep it in mind.
One last question, half way through my day i get really hot in the face for awhile. Is this a part of rosacea or hot flashes?

Thanks for all the help.
ziggR
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 am

We do tend to flush easier, and some people in general just have a lower heat-tolerance. I get what I jokingly call "hot flashes" at work, when I'm moving around too much, or just due to hormones. :)
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby ziggR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:08 am

The heat tolerance thing confuses me alittle though. today i was in the sun all day without sunscreen and my face looks the best it has in weeks? ALso my sinus's have been driving me mad. They are stuffed whenever i heat up and are fine when im cool? is this normal?
ziggR
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:58 am

For some people, it's not actually being in the sun that bothers them, it's the heat from the sun beating down on their skin that irritates their rosacea. Some rosaceans, though, do quite well in the summer/sunlight.

And the sinus thing--I haven't had problems with mine, but doing a search, they are usually worse during cold weather. I don't think they have anything to do with rosacea, though.
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Return to Red Face