"Dry-Reactive Skin Trap" Is plain oil enough?

A good moisturizer is an important part of caring for your rosacea skin. The choices are seemingly endless. Stop by here for the latest on rosacea moisturizers.

"Dry-Reactive Skin Trap" Is plain oil enough?

Postby Artist » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:20 pm

I am pretty sure a lot of my symptoms are aggravated by allowing my skin to become dry and being overly cautious with it. I think I sometimes
underestimate the impact of dryness, which causes sensitivity, reactivity, itching, etc..

From NRS:
http://www.rosacea.org/rr/1996/summer/article_3.php

I wonder if I fall into a "dry-reactive skin trap" that goes something like this:

I suddenly react or break out or have skin sensitivity and my reaction is to stop topicals and not cleanse thoroughly. This means I'm not moisturizing well or cleansing well. So, my skin improves a bit at first until it completely dries out and accumulates irritating bacteria and lipase build-up, at which time it becomes more reactive to everything put on it, including gentle moisturizers like Cetphil, etc.. I don't realize the profound effects dryness and build up have on the skin (especially rosacea skin) at the time, so I don't consider it, and I figure I am just super sensitive and must avoid anything that irritates (which by that time is almost everything).

Meanwhile, my skin is parched and suffering from irritating bacteria and lipase build up due to over-gentle or non-cleansing.

I even think my occasional hive reactions may be due to my skin being more reactive to everything and anything I put on it when compromised by dryness and build up.

So, in theory, my skin should react less if I moisturize more and cleanse well (gently, but thoroughly, twice a day), and this makes sense - common sense actually.

So, totally against the philosophy of "less is more", I decided to try the Cerave cleanser and moisturizer after seeing some good feedback on
it. It is supposed to be ultra moisturizing and recommended for rosacea skin.

The first few applications did sting a little.

After a few days, however, I must admit that my skin feels good, and more moisturized than when I use my beloved mineral oil. I thought for
certain I'd react to it by now, but perhaps more moisturized skin will be less easily set off.

I don't have high hopes, but at least I can fall back on the mineral oil if I suddenly react.

So, are a few drops of oil on a wet face enough for all of us? Is "hands off" really the best way to go? For me, I'm starting to think maybe not.

I'll report back on the Cerave..

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: "Dry-Reactive Skin Trap" Is plain oil enough?

Postby Rebecca » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Artist, I think I have skin that is similar to yours. Very dry and sensitive. I'm so afraid to use anything new even though my current regimen (washing with plain water, moisturizing with grape seed oil and eucerin for the worst patches) does not seem to be working. I think the most aggravating factor for me is that I simply cannot keep my hands off of it.

I'd be interested to hear how the Cerave is working for you. I've just joined this forum but have been reading for about a month and I've found your posts quite informative.
Rebecca
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks Rebecca! Being determined to moisturize with a real moisturizer every day has been wonderful for my skin. I did switch, however, from the Cerave to Vanicream Lite Lotion. I used the Cearve moisturizer and cleanser for maybe a week. It was very gentle on my rosacea and my skin was starting to sting less and feel more comfortable, but it eventually caused some acne all over my face. I think what happened is that Cerave clogs the pores in my skin, but may be fine for others.

I had also started using Finacea, a topical medication for rosacea, while still using the Cerave (the last few days using it.) I distinctly remember that the Finacea was extremely irritating to my skin, as if my face were on FIRE, when combined with the Cerave. Cerave is known to release moisture throughout the day due to microbeads or some such technology. It also contains ceramides, so maybe that has something to do with it. Who knows. I think this kept re-activating the finacea or just did not combine well with it. I then switched from Cerave moisturizer to Vanicream Lite Lotion (found at the drug store). I chose the Vanicream because it is very simple and specifically made for super sensitive skin, no frills. I was then able to tolerate the Finacea, which has since helped my skin quite a bit. It's not perfect, but it's more normal acting and looking if that makes sense.

So, the big idea is that I found a moisturizer (Vanicream Lite Lotion) and my skin is better for it. I think moisturizing enabled me to tolerate the topical medication, Finacea, through the rough beginning period when your skin adjusts to it.

Have you tried something really gentle for washing? I use Toleraine Dermo Cleanser by La Roche Posay. It's super-simple, no frills, and made for "intolerant skin". My only suggestion is that it should be massaged in gently for up to one minute to really allow it to cleanse well. I get a little impatient with that step, but it's worth it. My skin is clean and doesn't feel parched or stripped.

I hope that helps!

Artist
Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Rebecca » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:54 am

So I got the Cliniderm moisturizer yesterday (Vanicream in the US!) I also picked up their cleanser and shampoo because I hadn't been cleansing and my current shampoo is loaded with plant products that I thought might be irritating.

The Cliniderm/Vanicream is really nice, it goes on so smooth and doesn't sting like the Eucerin does. I'm already a little less scaly. A little... As the scales go though, I am realizing that I've got some thickened skin on my cheeks! Which freaks me out.

But at least my skin feels better today even if it looks just as red. When it doesn't feel so dry, I can almost forget I've got this for a few moments.
Rebecca
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:57 am

I never knew Cliniderm was the same as Vanicream. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll have to keep an eye out for the shampoo. I'd love to try it as well. I'm so glad your skin seems to like the cleanser and moisturizer so far. Yay!!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Rebecca » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:00 am

According to this website

http://www.psico.com/orders/order_form.cfm

Cliniderm is just the Canadian name for the American products Vanicream and Free and Clear shampoo/conditioner. I hope that's right, I just trusted it! lol... Either way, I'm really liking the moisturizer. The shampoo is good in the sense that it is very 'clean', no scent, etc. but the stuff just does not lather.
Rebecca
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Moisturizers