Help! Second opinion?

Use this forum to discuss topical rosacea treatments that are only available on prescription for eg. metrogel, klaron, plexion

Help! Second opinion?

Postby hlcox1209 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:39 pm

I started doxy 100mg once day, sulfur wash, and Metrocream twice a day a little over two months ago. I have been having worsening of symptoms the last few weeks. More breakouts of rosacea nature, and also acne breakouts. Yesterday, my derm suggested bumping my doxy to twice daily, 100mg, and resuming sulfur wash 2-3 times a week and metro cream twice daily. I had backed off sulfur wash and metro at night because my face was SO dry, and the metro cream seems to be too greasy for my face overnight. HELP! I am so confused on what to do. I am leery of bumping doxy up but she said that was "acne dose" and would help with other breakouts. I asked about finacea and she just said "it's expensive."

Should I get a second opinion?
hlcox1209
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Help! Second opinion?

Postby JennAdeleK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Hey there... I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. Rosacea like what you are describing can be so tough to deal with, both physically and mentally. About 6 weeks ago, when I was diagnosed, mine was all flared up and it affected every part of my being (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual).

If I were in your position, I would go ahead and get a second opinion, and maybe see not only a dermatologist but also a functional medicine doctor to address any root causes and not just symptom management (although with what you are describing, you will want to manage those symptoms in either case). Also, if your skin is getting that dry, washing it more will not make the situation better. And, I know for sensitive, acne-prone skin that Metrogel can be a better option than the Metrocream... but you would have to adjust your routine a bit to tolerate the gel, as it is a tad more drying than the cream.

I'm not sure how much of what I do will help you, but I do want to share my regimen in case any or all of it might be of some form of benefit...

A few things that really helped me:

#1. Switching to an AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) diet and lifestyle, tailored to my individual nutrition needs. If you are unfamiliar with Autoimmune Protocol, just Google and a lot of stuff will come up. There's plenty to read and learn. Phoenix Helix website is one of the best resources to start with, and AIP is becoming more and more prevalent every day. This alone reduced my rosacea symptoms by about 85%.

#2. Getting rid of all cosmetics. I wash with my own homemade soap. Use raw honey as a gentle face wash (I don't use my homemade soap on my face, honey only), and moisturize with pure aloe vera gel. I also use the aloe vera gel as my hair gel. And, I finally started making my own toothpaste and deodorants (coconut oil and baking soda blends) to make sure they are as pure and gentle as possible. I never wear makeup or use perfumes of any kind. (Oh, and as a side note, I never wash or bathe in hot water... lukewarm).

#3. I try not to get overheated or get too much sun exposure. A big hat is worth the money... invest.

#4. Moderate-intensity exercise every day (hiking mostly)... and I switched my yoga routine to only doing upright poses... nothing with a head-down posture.

#5. Metrogel 1%... this controls the remaining 10-15% of my symptoms most of the time. I use it once daily, in the evening. I'm hoping to step down to once every other night beginning in April, but we will see...

One more note, starting next week, I'm going to slowly begin red light therapy. I have a unit coming to my house. I've heard really good things and would like to try it out and see if it benefits my skin, as well.

I really, really hope this response helps you some. I know what you are going through is incredibly stressful.

(((HUGS)))
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Return to Prescription Topicals