Blisters using Metronidazole

Use this forum to discuss topical rosacea treatments that are only available on prescription for eg. metrogel, klaron, plexion

Blisters using Metronidazole

Postby xena » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:11 pm

Hello,
Last week I started medications for Rosacea, something that was diagnosed last year but slowly grew worse the past year. I just wanted to get it cleared up. I was prescribed both oral and topical meds. I had been using Metronidazole for about 6 days when all of a sudden the areas where I applied the cream started getting lumpy. By that evening I had blisters on the areas where I applied it - LOTS of them. They burn and ooze clear liquid. I stopped the medications and have been keeping my face clean. Today, 2 days later, the area is still red, bumpy, and burns. I am going to see my dermatologist again today but curious if anyone else has ever had this problem.
xena
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Blisters using Metronidazole

Postby xena » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Found out that it seems I had a reaction to the cream. Two dermatologists were stumped. Both asked me if I had used a cortisone cream because the rash/blisters looked similar to that type of reaction. Changed my oral medication to Doxycycline and will check back.
xena
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Blisters using Metronidazole

Postby JennAdeleK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Hey there! I'm surprised they didn't start you off with metronidazole gel... fewer ingredients in the mixture and super mild. I've been using it for 2 weeks and other than a little dry skin that my aloe vera gel takes care of, it seems to be a good fit for my rosacea so far. If your doctor doesn't think you are reacting to the metronidazole itself, you could ask and see if they feel the gel might be a better fit for you.

Wishing you the very best!!!
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Return to Prescription Topicals