Cost of topicals

Use this forum to discuss topical rosacea treatments that are only available on prescription for eg. metrogel, klaron, plexion

Cost of topicals

Postby LoisAnne » Mon May 20, 2013 1:46 am

I recently asked for a new prescription for generic metronidazole and for Finacea from my dermatologist and when I went to pick them up I was totally blown away by the cost! Fortunately I have a medicare prescription insurance plan so my out of pocket cost for each of these was $40. However, the paper I was given said that the metronidazole would have been over $300 and the Finacea would have been over $200. Is that accurate?? I am sure this has gone up a lot since I bought them previously. People without insurance would not be able to afford these medications. Very disturbing! :O
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: Cost of topicals

Postby David Pascoe » Wed May 22, 2013 1:44 pm

I agree!

Living down under we really can't relate to these high cost for prescriptions. The way prescriptions are funded and made available to patients is completely different here so it is really hard to compare or indeed understand how things could be so expensive.

I do feel for those who simply cannot afford what they really need.

dp.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Re: Cost of topicals

Postby jrhampt » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:54 pm

That is pretty insane. I just got a prescription for metrogel on Friday, but fortunately they were out of stock at the pharmacy so I couldn't pick it up right away. Good thing, because I've been using a sample from the dermatologist, and my skin is not reacting well to it. I don't know how you feel about online pharmacies, but I find they can be a much less expensive option. And of course, always ask for generics. I found a generic 10% azelaic acid (finacea) cream from an online pharmacy for about $15.
jrhampt
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Prescription Topicals