New treatment not working, advice?

Use this forum to discuss topical rosacea treatments that are only available on prescription for eg. metrogel, klaron, plexion

New treatment not working, advice?

Postby Matthew » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:25 pm

New to the board, thanks for reading... Ive had rosacea for a several years now, a few years back I was treated with Oracea (sp?), Metrogel and Prosacea (sp?). After a few months of that things were much better, it helped a lot and there was an almost immediate improvement. I stuck with the Metrogel but stopped the others. Recently Ive had a flare up and the same derm is now treating with Solodyn and Finecea along with Metrogel. This treatment does not seem to be working and in fact the redness is getting worse and spreading.

Im really not a fan of the Finacea, it seems to irritate my skin and make it dry and itchy. Would be interested in hearing any other opinions on this product. Not sure why she went with this over the Prosacea.

The change from Oracea to Solodyn was partly my doing as I was concerned with the cost of Oracea and the Solodyn was offering a significant rebate.

Ahyhoo, Im wondering if I should stick with this course any longer (Im about 3 weeks in), or try something different. Thanks for any comments.
Matthew
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: New treatment not working, advice?

Postby Artist » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:22 am

Did the doctor or nurse tell you that irritation for the first few weeks using Finacea is normal? My face felt like it was on fire at first and it caused breakouts, but I am sooooooooo glad I stuck with it because, after the initial adjustment period, it changed my skin for the better (MUCH better). I actually kept at it because I called at least twice and they encouraged me to continue with it. Otherwise I would have stopped using it. I think it took two weeks to start seeing improvement, and then by one or two months I was amazed. Oracea has also been great for me, and it worked in about two weeks. My dermatologist gives me a coupon card that makes it cost only $25 per month. It's such a low dose I feel very comfortable using it long-term. I haven't had a breakout or flare in many months, and I go out now without any makeup on regularly.

Cheers!

Artist
Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Matthew » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:00 pm

I was not given that info, in fact they told me that it might make the skin slightly pink but otherwise no further comment. Thanks for the advice, Artist, I will keep on it for a time. My problem now is that I need a moisturizer Ithink. Has anyone used Metrogel or Finacea with either the Aveeno or Eucerin products? Can I mix them? Thanks
Matthew
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:09 pm

You are probably right about needing moisturizer since the Finacea is drying. I like Vanicream (the cream version, not the lite version). It's similar to Cetaphil cream, but is more gentle on my skin. Finacea really is drying, so a good thick cream might be better than a lighter lotion. I also suggest moisturizing any time your skin feels tight or dry, even if it's in the middle of the day. Moisturizers are meant to be used as often as needed, and the skin will need it with Finacea. If your skin likes Aveeno or Eucerin, I think they would probably be fine. My derm does recommend mixing equal amounts of moisturizer and finacea before applying, then adding another layer of just moisturizer over top. I let it soak in for a bit, then apply my sunscreen and blot all over with a towel so I'm not shiny.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Matthew » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Wow, you have quite the lotion regimen going there, Artist! Thanks again for the input. Im glad to have found this board, its very helpful.
Matthew
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:55 am

ha ha!! Did I mention you should moisturize every day?? Don't forget!!

Let us know how you do.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby LoisAnne » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:13 am

Artist,
Can you tell me what kind of card your dermatologist gives you that allows you to get Oracea for $25? I would like to take it all the time but it is so expensive that my insurance (Medicare Rx plan) does not want me to use it and puts it on a tier 3 rating. This costs me about $70 but that is not the big problem. The problem is that it costs the insurance company almost $200 a bottle and so that would put me in the "donut hole" before the year was out and then I would be paying full price for all my medications. I find this so annoying, plain old doxycycline and because the drug company makes it time release, they think they can charge 10 x as much for it. An alternative for me is to take 50mg of either doxy or minocycline but I would prefer to take the Oracea at the lower dose.
I am so glad that you have found a routine that is working for you.

LoisAnne
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 am

LoisAnne wrote:Artist,
Can you tell me what kind of card your dermatologist gives you that allows you to get Oracea for $25? I would like to take it all the time but it is so expensive that my insurance (Medicare Rx plan) does not want me to use it and puts it on a tier 3 rating. This costs me about $70 but that is not the big problem. The problem is that it costs the insurance company almost $200 a bottle and so that would put me in the "donut hole" before the year was out and then I would be paying full price for all my medications. I find this so annoying, plain old doxycycline and because the drug company makes it time release, they think they can charge 10 x as much for it. An alternative for me is to take 50mg of either doxy or minocycline but I would prefer to take the Oracea at the lower dose.
I am so glad that you have found a routine that is working for you.

LoisAnne

Butting in! (wave) If you go to the website for Oracea and you will see a link to enroll and get your savings card. I can't use it myself, because my particular prescription is for a 90-day supply that ends up costing me $40 (used to be $15 but my insurance changed this year). The savings card can only be used towards a 30-day, 30-pill supply. Click the giant green circle on the right that says "Get Instant Savings". It says it is good until Dec 2010. You just enroll, print out your little card, as many as you'd like, and take it with you when you pick up your rx.

http://www.oracea.com/Consumer/AboutOra ... vings.aspx
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:56 am

Artist wrote:Did the doctor or nurse tell you that irritation for the first few weeks using Finacea is normal? My face felt like it was on fire at first and it caused breakouts, but I am sooooooooo glad I stuck with it because, after the initial adjustment period, it changed my skin for the better (MUCH better). I actually kept at it because I called at least twice and they encouraged me to continue with it. Otherwise I would have stopped using it. I think it took two weeks to start seeing improvement, and then by one or two months I was amazed. Oracea has also been great for me, and it worked in about two weeks. My dermatologist gives me a coupon card that makes it cost only $25 per month. It's such a low dose I feel very comfortable using it long-term. I haven't had a breakout or flare in many months, and I go out now without any makeup on regularly.

Cheers!

Artist

Really?? I can't do it! Fine. I'll try. The first time I used it, my face seemed better but then my rosacea "spread" after 6 weeks. I decided to try again last week after more than a year, and the small spot on my cheek, my test spot, turned super-red on day two. How in the world did you stick it out? I wish I could test it on, say, my elbow, but hi. No rosacea there! (blush)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Cathy you are too funny "I can't!!" he he he! And, wow, thanks for letting us know how to get the savings card ourselves. My dermatologist's office must get them through the same deal to pass out to patients. So good of them to think of that!

I remember that my skin slowly continued to improve with Finacea after the first month, but I still had moments where it irritated my skin. Those moments were just fewer and farther between over time, until they stopped. I do remember being at two or three months, having a set-back of irritation, and being told I would continue to improve overall (which I did). It didn't go smoothly from irritated to calm. There were hills and valleys along the way for me.

When I started Finacea I made the mistake of not moisturizing enough for the first several weeks, and I think I would have had an easier road if I had found the thicker Vanicream sooner. When I added that, the dryness was solved and everything improved even more. I don't think I could have continued using it otherwise.

I think if it were me I'd tell the derm what happened and ask their advice. It could be that some people just take longer to adjust to it, or you could even be sensitive to one of the ingredients (like propylene glycol). Well if you don't go that route I hope something else works really well for you, very soon!

Hugs!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Next

Return to Prescription Topicals