My experience with Promiseb

Use this forum to discuss topical rosacea treatments that are only available on prescription for eg. metrogel, klaron, plexion

My experience with Promiseb

Postby Auburn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Back in August, David Pascoe wrote an article about Promiseb, that's how I learned about this cream. Since it's a non-steroidal cream, I asked my dermatologist for a sample which I started using just over two weeks ago.

My seb derm is very mild and I've been keeping it at bay with natural remedies but, every month, thanks to perimenopause, I will have some scalp/face itching for a few days. I also suffer from a mild case of rosacea (sporadic flushing and slight diffuse pinkness).

I wanted to try Promiseb because it's supposed to "significantly reduce redness by day 14" and to reduce Malassezia, the yeast that causes seb derm, by 94%. This cream is not for the treatment of rosacea but, since I'm lucky to suffer from both conditions :cry:, I wanted to see if it would help with my diffuse pinkness anyway.

The sample the doc gave me was a 5 g/0.17 oz tube so I had to apply the cream rather thinly, if I wanted it to last fourteen days. The first day my face was a tad pinker than usual before I applied the cream and remained that way for the rest of the day. No itching, no irritation.

The literature says to apply 2-3 times a day or as needed. I applied it twice a day, morning and night, after cleansing. The cream goes on smoothly and I didn't need to apply moisturizer for it made my skin feel soft and hydrated. No clogged/enlarged pores.

Also, because I'm trying to get some natural vitamin D, I've been having 15 minutes of sun exposure at noon without sunscreen for the past few months. As a result, my body looks lightly tanned yet my face has a pinkish (what else! (doh)) tone. Hard to tell if my face would look pinker after sun exposure without the Promiseb. However, on the fourth day of treatment, I applied Cetaphil moisturizer with 50 SPF at noon because I was on a 3-hour lake cruise and forgot to take my hat with me. By six o'clock my cheeks had just a hint of pinkness, which I find quite amazing (I wasn't always in the sun but my face got more than an hour of midday sun). A tiny whitehead appeared on my forehead the following day but I'm blaming the Cetaphil 50 SPF moisturizer for that.

The only change I noticed during the second week of treatment was that my face stayed cool to the touch even in a warmish (70+ F/21+ C) room, particularly in the evenings.

Now, during these two weeks I skipped the weekly (maintenance) natural treatment that's been keeping my seb derm at bay so no raw honey/coconut oil on my scalp and I think that's why my scalp started to get itchy by day 11th.

From the FAQ on the Promiseb website:

Can Promiseb Cream be used on the scalp?
Promiseb Cream can be used on any area of the body including the scalp. However, consider ease of application for hair-bearing areas, which may be the only limit on its use on the scalp.

Well, I only had enough cream to try on my face for two weeks so I didn't apply it on my scalp or in and around my ears and, perhaps, that's the reason the morning after I had squeezed the last drop out of the tiny sample tube, my itchy scalp woke me up and when I looked in the mirror I saw, for the first time in many weeks, a few white flakes on my face (tiny and barely visible but they were there) yet my face remains quite pale/slightly pink.

Maybe my hormones are acting up again and I'm going through another bout of seb derm but Promiseb is somehow keeping things under control with the redness? Who knows.

So, in my experience, Promiseb may have slightly helped with the pinkness and caused my face to feel cool in the evenings.

I saw my dermatologist last Friday (day 11th of the treatment) and he didn't write a prescription because "it doesn't seem to be doing much for you so you might as well continue using coconut oil." BTW, I was the first of his patients to be given a sample or Promiseb, he said he gave four more samples to other patients but has not yet heard from them.

I'll see what happens in a couple of weeks. If my skin becomes pinker due to seb derm, I'll ask my GP to prescribe it and use it on my face and scalp. However, the natural honey/coconut oil has been very effective, even during those days when my hormones go nuts so, maybe, I should just stick to it.

Hopefully, someone will find this post useful. If you've tried Promiseb, please post your experience here. Thanks!

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Re: My experience with Promiseb

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:02 am

Thanks for the update ! Great to hear that you tried it - sounds like the sample tube is not quite big enough :(

Perhaps they only want users to be sure that they won't react negatively before purchasing a full tube...

all the best,
davidp.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby Auburn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi David (wave),

Thank you for all the splendid work you do around here! (bow)

Yeah, that tiny sample is way too small. Maybe enough for those who only get tiny patches of redness/flaking around their noses and eyebrows but not for those who get itchy scalp/face/ears.

David Pascoe wrote:Perhaps they only want users to be sure that they won't react negatively before purchasing a full tube...

You never know! :lol:

All the best to you too. (wave)

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Dr Ron » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:50 pm

About 10 years ago my Family Doctor/Internist gave prescribed Hydro cortisone.
My face was bleeding at times.
What Crap....I fired him.
Then a dermatologist prescribed Traimcinolone acetonide cream. This worked better....
But when I washed my face in the shower with soap.......afterwards my face felt like I had a sunburn.
I has already gotten accustomed to having "dandruff" all over my shirt from my face
Recently he turned me on to Promiseb. He said........they are using a different approach......it works for some.
See if it works for you.

Wow........No more sunburn......No more dandruff

What really turns me on is that it is based upon a let the skin heal concept rather than the nasty steroids.
Ask your Doc for some free samples.
Dr Ron
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: My experience with Promiseb starting now. Former Extina user

Postby stingray326 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:25 am

I started having some face dandruff and pinkish color issues a few years ago and my skin doc gave me Extina. It was like a foam and after a couple days it seemed to work for me. You have to apply it with a q-tip or it melts on your finger instantly. The nice thing about that is it works good for eyebrows and other areas where the flaking is under hair. I would use it when I noticed symptoms coming back. I would say my case is mild most times, but I had a break out this past Sunday. I used the rest of the Extina Sunday and since my next Dermatologist appointment was Monday morning (Today) I got a sample tube of Promiseb and dropped my prescription off at the pharmacy. I put it on as soon as I got home and again this evening. I'll let you know how it goes. I was wondering about trying it on one side of my scalp where I have had issues but if it's like the Extina my hair would look like I pasted it down.

PS My pharmacy said my co-pay was going to be $30.00 (normally it's $5.00) I found a coupon for a co-pay rebate of 50% or $25.00 whichever is less at https://webrebate.trialcard.com/coupon/ ... 9525325003
I like that it's good till the end of the year and can be used more than once.
I got a rebate on the Extina too I'm not sure if that's still available. The Extina seems like if there are any open areas on the skin it might burn when you apply it.
stingray326
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby David Pascoe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:42 am

Thanks for letting us know about the rebate coupon.

all the best,
davidp.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby stingray326 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:49 pm

stingray326 wrote:I started having some face dandruff and pinkish color issues a few years ago and my skin doc gave me Extina. It was like a foam and after a couple days it seemed to work for me. You have to apply it with a q-tip or it melts on your finger instantly. The nice thing about that is it works good for eyebrows and other areas where the flaking is under hair. I would use it when I noticed symptoms coming back. I would say my case is mild most times, but I had a break out this past Sunday. I used the rest of the Extina Sunday and since my next Dermatologist appointment was Monday morning (Today) I got a sample tube of Promiseb and dropped my prescription off at the pharmacy. I put it on as soon as I got home and again this evening. I'll let you know how it goes. I was wondering about trying it on one side of my scalp where I have had issues but if it's like the Extina my hair would look like I pasted it down.

PS My pharmacy said my co-pay was going to be $30.00 (normally it's $5.00) I found a coupon for a co-pay rebate of 50% or $25.00 whichever is less at https://webrebate.trialcard.com/coupon/ ... 9525325003
I like that it's good till the end of the year and can be used more than once.
I got a rebate on the Extina too I'm not sure if that's still available. The Extina seems like if there are any open areas on the skin it might burn when you apply it.

My pharmacy was able to process the rebate for me after I called the number to activate it so instead of paying the $30 co-pay I only had to pay $15. I got the larger tube since the sample tube was so small it only lasted a couple days. So far my experience with Promiseb has been good. I did seem to get a red face after applying it but after a couple days the flakes went away and the redness faded after a few more days. My diagnosis was Seborrheic dermatitis so I really can't say it would help with anything else but it seems to be working for that.
stingray326
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ghurley » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Have been using promiseb for seb dem for around 3 mos. and have had great success with it. Very gentle on the skin, not harsh like other prescription meds.
ghurley
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Mike T » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks for the info,

I had severe seb derm on my face downgraded to mild via dietery adjustments.

Wouldn't mind something on the side to help when things may get a bit out of hand.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby fedupwithred » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:31 am

My skin is so easily irritated and seems to quickly absorb anything I put on it and is easily irritated. I would like to try this but am worried it will irritate my skin :S
fedupwithred
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Next

Return to Prescription Topicals