Pyratine-6 Avail Feb 9th - Claims 60% Redness Reduction

News, information and research from the world of rosacea.

Pyratine-6 Avail Feb 9th - Claims 60% Redness Reduction

Postby QuadCore » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:11 am

I read about this on the other site, but didn't find any discussion here about it. It's coming out Feb 9th and is supposed to reduce redness by 60% plus wrinkle reduction. It sounds promising, but I wondered why nobody here is talking about it?
- Steve
QuadCore
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Re: Pyratine-6 Avail Feb 9th - Claims 60% Redness Reduction

Postby Artist » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:20 am

Thanks for sharing! Does anyone have more details on the pilot study? So, they are recruiting now in California for an extension of that study? Do I understand correctly? It will be interesting to see how folks do long-term when it comes out. It sounds like it's only been tried for rosacea for a very short time, but exciting, nonetheless!

What exactly does this ingredient do? Anti-inflammatory? How does it reduce redness?

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby David Pascoe » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:14 am

Pyratine-6 is a variant of Kinetin that has had some recent coverage because of trials that are underway. Kinetin has been around for a while as an anti-aging preparation. One good thing is that Pyratine-6 and Kinetin have actually been trialled directly as a rosacea treatment, not just for acne or anti-aging.

Here is some previous coverage I did for Rosacea News - which first came under my radar in 2006 when it (or rather Kinetin) was mentioned in the America Academy of Dermatology Poster session.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has used Kinetin.

Pyratine 6 (vs. Kinetin) reduces redness and acne lesions, April 16th, 2007

The internet Press Release sites are full of an announcement from Senetek about a product called Pyratine 6 and its possible use in treating rosacea. The announcement is based on a comparison of Pyratine 6 with another of Senetek’s products - Kinetin. ...

Senetek Trialling Pyratine 6 / PRK124, December 30th, 2007

A new trial has just been posted that will be looking at how Pyratine 6 (a variant of Kinetin) treats the papules & pustules, redness and visible blood vessels of rosacea. ...

Here are some more on Kinetin itself.

topical kinetin (kinerase) moisturizer for anti-aging, September 24th, 2007

This article was first highlighted by Rosacea News in March 2006 as result of the 2006 Annual Meeting of the AAD, Poster Session in San Francisco. The paper was called Tolerability and efficacy of a moisturizing lotion containing 0.1% kinetin for improving the signs of acne rosacea in facial and neck skin.

kinetin moisturizer (kinerase) well tolerated and shows modest relief, March 4th, 2006

This study is suggesting that a moisturizer containing Kinetin is a good choice for rosacea skin as it is well tolerated and offers some reduction in the redness, lesions and otherwise appearance of rosacea.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby mrsp » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:31 pm

David and All,

I haven't posted on either site in some time, but I saw your post about Kinase and had to chime in!

I did use Kinerase years ago, during my initial experiences with Rosacea. This was in the late 1990's I believe. A physician friend of mine suggested it as an anti-aging topical that could be well tolerated for those with sensitive skin. I had high hopes for it but if memory serves me correctly, it caused irritation, i.e., papules and some redness and I stopped using it almost immediately and never attempted it again. It was quite pricey and I went on to experiment with other things.

A couple of mitigating factors must be mentioned, however. At the time, I most certainly did not understand other factors that were contributing to my symptoms, and also my face was in such a sensitive state that nearly every topical I encountered caused some irritation. Having said that, I always suspected that the non-active ingredients were the culprit for Kinerase. Only a hunch, nothing scientific to back that up.

Since I'm doing so well on the z-cream and seabuckthorn oil and emu oil, I'm not as tempted this time around to try the new kinase product, unless others proclaim it a miracle solution.

Happy New Year to you all!

Beth
(recently married, thus the new user name :D )
mrsp
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby David Pascoe » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi Mrs. P,

Great to hear from you, and congratulations on getting married ! (cake) (party)

One of the things that will be interesting to follow will be how kinetin/pyratine performs for rosacea sufferers. Anti-aging preparations are surely going to be too irritating for the sensitive skin of rosacea sufferers, right ? So far the studies are encouraging that some might be able to tolerate it and even like it.

The pricing of kinetin sure makes it an exclusive topical. I hope pyrtatine is cheaper but I assume it won't be.

davidp.
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:04 pm

Contratulations Beth!! I'm so glad your rosacea is under control during this exciting time for you. Did you go through a breakout, peeling period with the zz cream? I remain skeptical of this topical, but cannot deny that it seems to really help in some cases.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Artist » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:14 pm

...also, the ingredient, Kinetin, is sold cheaply. You just mix it into whatever lotion you use:

http://skinactives.com/products/kinetin.htm

I'll see if they have anything like Pyratine-6.

Artist
Disclaimer: I am on a patent for rosacea control serum by Skinactives since I initially brought to their attention the fact that EGF helped my rosacea.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby mrsp » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:41 am

Thank you so much David and Artist for your kind words of congratulations!
I am truly the luckiest woman in the world to have found my soulmate after
43 years of waiting :D

Artist, to answer your question about the zz cream--I've been using it for five months and yes, breakouts and peeling of skin as well as dryness, but overall my skin is in great shape, even through all of those side effects. I am also able to easily cover anything with my mineral makeup. I do not use the zz cream "as directed." I put it on over my seabuckthorn oil, and only at night. I knew my skin would be far too dry to put on straight. When I visited my derm about two months ago so I could get a refill on my periostat, he said as far as he was concerned, I had no visible signs of rosacea. He said he didn't need to see me for two years. I decided some time ago that the demodex problem was at the heart of my symptoms and have been treating my rosacea as such.

Good to chat with you two again and all of the Rosacea group here!

Beth

Beth
mrsp
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby David Pascoe » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:00 am

David Pascoe wrote:It would be great to hear from anyone who has used Kinetin.

oooh is it bad to quote yourself :?

I had a look back through the archives to see who has used kinerase and kinetin. There are a handful of people using it and the feedback seems pretty positive. Most did comment though on how expensive it is :(
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:15 am

The following investor presentation shows some information about how Sentek are promoting Kinetin/Pyratin 6 (PRK124 is another name).

from http://www.secinfo.com/d14D5a.u779w.d.htm, and scroll down. (link via the RF).

One product that can make skin softer and more hydrated, less red and help with papules and pustules - and one that is well tolerated by rosacea sufferers - could be a winner. Still too soon to get over excited yet though.
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Next

Return to Rosacea Research and News