Smoking and rosacea

News, information and research from the world of rosacea.

Re: Smoking and rosacea

Postby Mike T » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Fantastic Rosy!

It will be hard to quit this addiction but it will be even harder not to.

And like they say it's never too late. The human body has proven to be extremely resiliant and studies have shown that even after decades of smoking for every day which you stop the effects are being reversed. At the one year mark the risk of lung cancer drops by around 50%.

I would encourage anyone else who smokes to hop on the bandwagon. Put up a post. There is motivation in numbers, and together I am very confident that you guys can overcome this addiction and be that much more healthier. And ofcourse your Rosacea should only improve aswell.

Let us know as you pass those milestones.. I would imagine that the initial stage would be the most challenging.

Goodluck.
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

WTG Rosy! I agree 110% with you that quitting smoking comes down to wanting to quit more than you want to smoke. I'm not there yet, but plan to try again this summer as I'll be on vacation and more relaxed, IMHO always the best time to quit. :)

All the best to you in your efforts, hopefully Mike is right and quitting will not only provide us with more $ in pocket, but will benefit our skin as well.

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby davem81 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:18 pm

amethystice215 wrote:Although my Derm says that he has never heard of rosacea being linked to smoking, and I have read that people have quit smoking onlly to have their rosacea flare after quitting (hated to read that!)

Smoking & rosacea is of interest to me, based on my experience. Allow me to give a few details from my 'story'....

I smoked heavily for 10 years, and although during this time, my skin never fully cleared from the teenage acne I suffered, I didn't have major skin problems through this period. At least, not as I would come to know them later. I then quit smoking. This was September 2006.

To cut a long story short, about 4-9 months after quitting, my rosacea symptoms started. For me, 'rosacea' consists of horrendous papules on my nose ONLY. I have never had a problem with flushing - it's a one-symptom problem for me, but my word what a symptom it is! Actually, I've recently developed spider veins too, but they are very much the secondary concern. It has been the bane of my life ever since.

Anyway, back to the link with smoking. I always had a gut feeling that, somehow, stopping smoking had kicked this problem off! But it seemed such a crazy idea. As the years started to pass, and one treatment after another would help to some extent for a while, and then fail, I began to research the condition more & more. The Demodex mite theory seemed plausible to me, so I looked into treating them. I had some success with tea-tree oil, but nothing acheived an 'acceptable' level of control over the condition for me. When researching Demodex eradication, I found that benzene was a substance that would kill them - the same benzene that I had pumped my body with during my smoking years! And that gut-feeling came back to me, that my quitting smoking had somehow played a role in this.

I made this link about 18 months ago, the theory that smoking had acted to eradicate demodex mites throughout my skin. My attempts at self-treating the demodex have been successful enough to encourage me that they could be the cause of my problem - by wiping them out, I HAVE acheived some respite. But not enough to 'get my life back.'

To get to the point, after a truly terrible skin flare up over the past week, I'm starting to feel desperate enough to try smoking again, to test out my theory. I know it sounds insane, and I really don't want to smoke - since I quit I've come to detest it. But I detest this skin condition even more. I've been battling this thing for 4 1/2 years now, and without wishing to sound dramatic, it has & is ruining my life.

I'd be very interested in anyone else's experience on this matter....
davem81
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Peacock » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:55 am

Davem81,

Your stuck in a catch--22, let me explain.

When I gave up smoking (after 10 years) several years ago, I went thru severe withdrawal symptoms for several months. Some of the
smaller, nagging ones lasted over a year. One of my issues during the first year was increased Papules and Pustules (P&P's). These were #1
a direct result on the emotional dependence I had on Nicotine to calm my nerves ( i no longer had it as a crutch)and #2 the physical and
emotional stress caused by the Nicotine withdrawal.

Nicotine withdrawal is among the most difficult to get over (some have equated it with Heroin). The mind/the body will do whatever it takes
to get the Nicotine back in the system.

The cycle goes like this : Stop smoking/Nicotine withdrawal/Emotional stress/ Physical stress/ Increased Rosacea/Acne flare ups...relapse.

Dave.....do yourself a favor and end the cycle. Stop smoking permantly now. (give your complexion, your body, your mind 12-18 months to recover).

good luck.
Peacock
Star Member
Star Member

Postby davem81 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:41 am

Peacock wrote:Davem81,
Dave.....do yourself a favor and end the cycle. Stop smoking permantly now. (give your complexion, your body, your mind 12-18 months to recover).
good luck.

Hi Peacock,

Many thanks for replying. I'm not certain that you fully understood my situation though - I HAVE stopped smoking permenantly. I did so over 5 years ago (after 10 years of heavy smoking). I used nicotine gum, and actually found the process of quitting easier than expected.

I was virtually rosacea-symptom free the whole time that I smoked. It was only in the months AFTER giving up that symptoms started (P&P'S), and they've continued ever since. Along the way over the past 4 & a half years there have been the bad times, and the slightly-less-bad times (when various treatments have given me some partial respite from the symptoms). For the first couple of years, I thought I 'just' had acne, and that it would eventually clear of it's own accord. The realisation that it was in fact rosacea stripped away this hope of spontaneous recovery.

I admit that it sounds a bit off the wall, and that the evidence is only circumstantial, but to me the possibility that smoking somehow 'treated' (for want of a better word) my underlying condition of rosacea is something that has nagged at me ever since.
davem81
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Peacock » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Hey Dave ,

Nicotine (and other active chemicals in cigarrete smoke) can provide a 'calming' effect on our nerves and emotional 'state'. Whether you
stopped smoking last month or 5 years ago there still exists this 'missing' link that worked in your body. Unless other things are introduced
such as exercise, meditation, therapy, prescription ant-anxiety drugs, etc... this 'gap' will continue to exist. This gap in emotional stress
relief may in fact be causing your P&P's (in my opinion).

Keep in mind a major trigger (for some it is #1 trigger) of Rosacea/Acne is emotional imbalance.

In my opinion, the solution rests in finding an outlet to relieve some of your emotional imbalance. It may indeed be worth it for you to
do a one month trial and error period of different forms of emotional relief (as mentioned above). Many people when they stop smoking
go on an anti-depressant and/or anti-anxiety pill. I found increased exercise to be the only way I could replace the nicotine calming effect.

For me, my metabolism still has not returned to pre-smoking levels (nicotine clearly ramped up the 'fire') and I have struggled with weight.
I can guarantee to you that if I started smoking again, my metabolism would sky rocket again.

...as always with former nicotine addicts, easier said then done.

Go get em', good luck Dave !
Peacock
Star Member
Star Member

Postby davem81 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:04 pm

I don't doubt any of what you say is correct. Speaking for my own case, however, I feel that there is more to it.

I'm no scientist or doctor, but does it not seem plausible that one of the chemicals found in cigarette smoke (benzene, to use my previous example) may wipe out & keep out demodex? This is just me joining dots, based on my own case and circumstances.

Again, it's hardly concrete, but this article would seem to support the point I'm making. Look at the 'negative associations' section at the very end.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1 ... #aw2aab6b3
davem81
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby BlueFire » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:39 am

I have never smoked in my life. While it can be a trigger its not the cause, otherwise I wouldn't have it. :-( Plenty of people too have have smoked for years and has not given them red faces. Good luck with giving up because there are plenty of other reasons to quit. (clapping)
BlueFire
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby oldredlady » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:16 am

Second the above, most studies show that smoking has a negative effect on skin tissue, though the calming effect is noticeable; as a heavy smoker I understand what you're going through, believe me, I've been there and there and there.

I also quit for some months in the past and started up again, stupid I know, but those who haven't been in the grip of this kind of addiction (for 25 years now) can never fully understand just what a beast it is. All I can say is if at first (or second, third, fourth, fifth) you don't succeed, try, try again. Am planning my own quit date for my birthday this coming June, that gives me plenty of time to think the process through and prepare my strategy.

Chewing gum helped me in the past, the sugarless kind, also the nicotine patches; hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

Stay strong and best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Xzone » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:06 pm

Hello everybody!

Even though i am new here i just wanted to give some insight on this topic.

Benzene is a substance that has the same potency of killing demodex mites as tea tree oil has, and there is actually ointments with benzene in it for the sole purpose of killing demodex mites, one of them is "lindane" i think it was, for lice, scabies and mites, it has a chemical in it called " gamma benzene hexachloride " which is derived from benzene.

" Studies have also confirmed that ether, xylol, benzene, Danish (sulfur-containing) ointment can kill demodex in a few minutes. " i do not know if its 100% pure benzene, and im certainly not saying that we should pour pure benzene on ourself because it is highly dangerous.

This is the source: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthre ... hey-are%29

Scroll down a couple of threads and you'll see a poster that showed us a couple of things that kills demo mites.

On the topic of smoking and Rosacea, if you think about it, if smoking and rosacea was related wouldnt every smoker in the world have rosacea then? Ofcourse smoking is a health hazard whether it be cancer and a numerous other health issues. It is also a known fact that smoking depletes vitamins in the body. But then again, there are people who have smoked for almost 20 years and they still have beautiful skin, one of them is infact my mother who is 51 and smoked since she was 14. And im sure her vitamin levels are very low because she barely eats aswell, only dinner.

Could it be that the smoking trigger some rosacea sufferers has is purely mentally? The placebo effect can both be beautiful and hazardous.

Over the 100's of chemical in a cigarette there is also one mineral in there that is beneficial for our body in the correct amount, and that is copper, and here is one member on the other rosacea forum who uses copper in a quite funny way to rid herself/himself of facial redness=

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea ... ht=smoking

its quite interesting to read the whole thread, so in theory it should work the same way with smoking.

With the whole benzene and copper thing clarified now, it would be interesting to see if someone with rosacea could use cigarette smoke on their face ( like hold the cigarette a couple of inches away from your face or try and blow it on your cheeks and nose ) , and see what happens eventually. I am pretty sure that people with demodex mite issues would actually benefit from this, in regard of the mites.

There is also a number of people across different rosacea forums that say that they didnt notice any different in their skin when they quit smoking either.

Too bad that there is no studies done on the number of demodex mites on people who smokes and has rosacea.

Ps, im from Sweden so im sorry if there are any misspelling.

Kind regards // Emil.
Xzone
I'm new here
I'm new here

PreviousNext

Return to Rosacea Research and News