Smoking and rosacea

News, information and research from the world of rosacea.

Re: Smoking and rosacea

Postby Xzone » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:24 pm

As an edit:

A popular way for cannabis growers is to make a " tobacco " recipe which you then use to spray on your plants to kill of certain mites, the nicotine in the tobacco also works against mites and parasites, that is why smokers have statistically less asthmatic conditions then non smokers.
Xzone
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby davem81 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Xzone wrote:Too bad that there is no studies done on the number of demodex mites on people who smokes and has rosacea.Kind regards // Emil.

Hi Emil, many thanks for your post. I believe that you're trying to make the same point as me - that smoking in some way can actually help rosacea, as crazy as it sounds (with the benzene killing the demodex).

I'm totally convinced that this is what happened to me. For 10 years as a heavy smoker I was rosacea free. I then quit smoking altogether, and within 6 months I was suffering with this life-changing skin condition. I believe it is because I was no longer taking in benzene from the smoke - the mites were suddenly able to flourish on/in my skin.

I'm NOT suggesting that smoking is the answer - I've been tempted, but I havent smoked a cigarette since I quit in 2006. What I AM saying is I believe there's a link, a POSITIVE link for sufferers, that would really benefit from further investigation. I really DO NOT believe that what happened to me - the timing of my giving up smoking and the onset of my horrific rosacea - is coincidence.

David
davem81
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby David Pascoe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:52 am

Some interesting and, well unusual results from a statistical study of a large number of people in the UK has found that Smokers Much Less Likely to get Rosacea. This is a bit peculiar and should not be taken as advice about to reduce your risk of rosacea ...
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby spencer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:46 pm

I wonder who conducted this study...hmmm. Still, very interesting.

You might not have rosacea as a smoker, yes, but you will be susceptible to a whole host of other diseases and your skin will age much faster.
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby davem81 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 pm

David Pascoe wrote:Some interesting and, well unusual results from a statistical study of a large number of people in the UK has found that Smokers Much Less Likely to get Rosacea. This is a bit peculiar and should not be taken as advice about to reduce your risk of rosacea ...

As I have posted on the article itself, these findings reinforce what I have long suspected, based on my own experience and research.

It's important to stress - I'm not advocating smoking as a rosacea treatment. However, this piece of information could be very important, and key to finding some less hazardous treatments that do a similar job! It should not be glossed over just because it makes uncomfortable reading.
davem81
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby exsmoker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:23 pm

I have read davem81 posts hear with great interest.
I quit smoking after 30 years or more in Jan 2013.
After about a year off smoking I started to notice the skin on my forehead and cheeks get progressively worse and this in turn stressed me out.
I went to my doctor and he said it was Seborrheic dermatitis.
I had a small touch of this for years on and off, but it was always easily contained.
I then started to get hot flushes and couldn’t stand to be in a hot room and found even drinking alcohol made me feel hot.
After about 3 months of trying various creams and potions with nothing clearing it up, the stress of it all eventually caused me to have an anxiety attack which I had to go on medication to get over!!
I then went to a dermatologist who said I had rosacea.
So basically I went from a 49 year old smoker with no health issues to an anxiety ridden rosacea faced wreck!
I didn’t initially put quitting smoking and my rosacea and anxiety together until I began to search the internet.
I’m now convinced that quitting smoking caused my rosacea and that my rosacea caused my stress which brought on my anxiety.
If I knew then what I know now I can say with 100% certainty that I wouldn’t have quit smoking.
I currently undergoing IPL treatment to see if that can sort my skin out and if that doesn’t work I’ll seriously consider starting smoking again as life is just torture with this damn affliction.
I would love to know if anyone has quit smoking, developed rosacea, started smoking again and had the rosacea clear up?
exsmoker
I'm new here
I'm new here

Previous

Return to Rosacea Research and News