Is it all in the genes?

News, information and research from the world of rosacea.

Is it all in the genes?

Postby vale46 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:59 pm

I haven't found anything on this, but has a Genetic pre-disposition to rosacea ever been looked for?
Would one of the many companies who map your health have any indicators for it?
vale46
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Is it all in the genes?

Postby Lisamouries » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:21 pm

Rosacea runs in my family on my Dad's side so I'm sure there's a genetic link there.

I've just copied and pasted this response from Aurelia from a previous thread
Rosacea is regarded as genetic because the tendency to rosacea can be inherited. Many rosaceans can look at the family circle and see which parent, grandparent and/or sibling has the same condition, but many are the only ones in the known or recent family to show any signs of the condition. That is because rosacea (usually? always?) needs something to bring it into action. That might be sun damage, or treating the skin harshly (for example, by using strong chemicals such as peels or anti-acne topicals), or one of many other possible trigger factors.

Not sure where you can find more info on this though. Hopefully someone will get back to you soon.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Completely unscientific YES on my end! My dad had it, and probably other members of my family on his side too (Northern European).
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:37 am

A lot of coverage this week for a significant research paper on rosacea and the possible genetic link.

Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Return to Rosacea Research and News