Vitamin D3 - New Recommendations from Canadian Pediatric Soc

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Vitamin D3 - New Recommendations from Canadian Pediatric Soc

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi all,

FYI, the Canadian Pediatric Society has issued new Vitamin D3 recommendations for pregnant and nursing women (and breastfed babies):

Canadian Pediatric Society: Canadian mothers and babies don’t get enough vitamin D: Paediatricians recommend increased doses for pregnant and breastfeeding women

Here are some news articles associated with this new recommendation:

Canadian pediatricians recommend more vitamin D for pregnant, nursing women

GlobeAndMail: Take more vitamin D, mothers told: Pediatricians recommend tenfold increase for pregnant or breast-feeding women

Here's a related article too discussing a recent study that suggests low levels of Vitamin D3 during pregnancy may be associated with pre-eclampsia:

Reuters: Low vitamin D tied to serious pregnancy complication

FYI too, we have some information on Vitamin D3 and its potential use in treating rosacea in the RSRP:

RSRP: Vitamin D3

Obviously anyone considering Vitamin D3 supplementation (or any other form of supplementation) should talk this over with their doctor, but this is particularly important for pregnant and nursing mothers...
Dan
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Vitamin D3 - New Recommendations from Canadian Pediatric Soc

Postby melissaw » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for those informative links.
I was just wondering about the asking your dr part.
Whenever I ask any of my dotors about supplementation (with herbal supplements or vitamins) they never seem that knowledgeable. I usually get the standard response of a multivitamin is enough to the absolutely no for the herbal supplements since they aren't FDA regulated. It's very frustrating and I tend to get most of my info from here and the forum.

Just wondering what your (or anyone else's) experience with doctors is like when it comes to vitamins and herbal supplementation.

Thanks again for the info.

Best wishes,
Melissa
melissaw
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:55 pm

Hi Melissa,

Love the avatar! Who's your friend?

You know, my docs usually don't say much more than "I doubt that will hurt anything" when I mention a supplement, suggesting to me at least that they also don't think it will help anything.

As for Vit D3, my dad just talked to his doc about taking 2,000 iu at my suggestion and his doc was all for it, with the doc mentioning that he had read many positive things on it himself. My dad then asked him about going to 4,000 iu (also my suggestion), but the doc wasn't all that wild about going to levels that high. For now, my dad will stick with 2,000 iu, and I'm happy he is getting that level. I'm continuing to try to convince the rest of my family. Everyone wants to run this by their doctors first (and I think this make sense)..

Talk to your docs about Vit D3. With the recent amount of studies coming out on it, they just might surprise you...
Dan
Star Member
Star Member

Postby melissaw » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi Dan,

That's my darling Apache, our family's 1st pet. My mom and dad got him when my mom was pregnant with me so we grew up together. He was a boxer and the smartest, sweetest, most lovable and gentle dog ever. I still miss him.

Thanks for the info. Whenever I ask my doctors about this issue they basically give me no helpful info whatsoever. As I wrote they even advise me against the herbal/natural supplements since they aren't FDA regulated. It is exasperating. I rarely ask now and in fact, I don't tell them what I am taking as to avoid that patronising look.

Best wishes,
Melissa
melissaw
Star Member
Star Member

Postby phlika29 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:55 pm

I have never asked my doctor about vitamin supplemenation but I guess that he would advise that I go with the recommended dietary reference value or recommended dietary allowance or whatever they are using nowadays.

In the UK it the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition that issues advice on vitamins. I have attached a link to their website, if you scroll down you can see a pdf on vitamin D.

SACN
phlika29
Star Member
Star Member

Postby melissaw » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:03 pm

Nicely done Sarah!
Very fancy:)
melissaw
Star Member
Star Member

Postby phlika29 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:06 pm

Those videos are just great arent they :lol:
phlika29
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Dan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi all,

Another article discussing the Canadian Pediatric Society's new recommendation in my previous post as well as discussing two U.S. government-funded studies currently underway testing Vitamin D3 doses as high as 4,000 iu and 6,000 iu for pregnant and nursing mothers respectively:

Canada.com: Experts prescribe massive increase of vitamin D

Dan
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies