I found a very effective semi-natural method - Salt water

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Re: I found a very effective semi-natural method - Salt water

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:50 am

Hi Deaconess,

It really could be the magnesium in the seawater. Seawater is high in magnesium and it has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. Try dissolving Epsom Salts (magnesium) in water. A cool Epsom Salts bath (putting a soaked cloth over your face while in bath) may help...

Good luck!
Dan
Star Member
Star Member

Postby deaconess » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:06 am

Dear Dan, Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try. Went to a 4th of July party today and had some chocolate and caffeine and my nose was quite red by the time I got home. Obviously there is some diet component. Maybe the acid/alkaline. Couldn't wait to get home to put sea water on my nose--it had been itching. Now feeling much better after application and the red is subsiding.
deaconess
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mrsp » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:31 pm

I found this method some years ago and used it successfully for a while (if memory serves, weeks or months ) , but then the treatment that had been clearing my papules and pustules actually went the other way and started to become an irritant and I finally gave up on it.

I had been splashing a bath of dead sea salts on my face just once or twice a day. I would rinse and dry afterward, I never left the residue from the water on my face.

When it was working, I remember it beautifully hydrated my skin, and I have dry skin.
mrsp
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby B300606 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Interesting. I noticed a year or so ago in my diary when I was swimming regularly - twice a week - that a normal chlorinated public swimming pool felt good, seemed to cleanse and prevent any flare up's. So far, 15 years, using anti-biotics (oxy-tet).. but now trying Rosex ..
I've only really identified STRESS as a trigger.
And possibly DIY chemicals - weed-killer,sprays,paint, etc though they might be stress-related.
B300606
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby oldredlady » Sat May 28, 2011 12:03 am

Wow, this is really interesting. I remember from my bad acne days, (my teens, twenties and thirties), when I'd go swimming in the high school/college pool, the chlorine always seemed to improve my skin for a day or two afterwards, wonder if that's similar?

I'd really like to try this, but as I have very sensitive, thin, aging skin I'm concerned about irritation. I may try it anyhow, just once, and see what happens. :)

Thanks for sharing and best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Cpt.Caveman2 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:05 am

I've been having some great success with the salt water method that I wanted to share with everyone.

I had been going in the sea several times a week which was keeping my rosacea basically dormant. Due to a recent minor knee injury and being unable to get into the water for a while, my rosacea flared back up again.

To get around this I literally filled up a plastic drinking bottle with seawater from the beach and I have been applying it to my face with cotton wool buds since. I just put it over the rosacea sites and allow it to dry, sometimes only once, sometimes a few times. I haven't decided which seems to work the best. Three days/applications later, my rosacea is almost completely gone. I think there is a key to a salinity of eastern Australian seawater plus some sunlight while its on your face.

Works like a treat! Thought I had to share with everyone on the forum.

My previous idea was literally mixing salt and water, and I found it was hard to get the salinity level right and ran the risk of blowing it up from too much salt. Someone above mentioned magnesium as well, possible the salinity and Mg are important?

Anyways, its working a treat, is natural and doesn't cost a cent (except for one empty water bottle).

Maybe someone qualified can provide some ingredients to copy Eastern Australian seawater?
Cpt.Caveman2
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Scottish » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:58 am

CptCaveman wrote:After some time keeping an eye on my rosacea, I have reached a conclusion about salt water:

Regular bathing in sea-water (Eastern Australian conditions) is superior to any other treatment method I have tried, including pharmaceuticals.

Table salt and water solutions do help, but are nowhere near as effective and are prone to cause some temporary irritation.

For example, its summer here and I tend to get in the ocean at least once a week, and I always forget to use my rosex cream. I drink beer several times a week, spend time in the sun, eat spicy foods, have coffee every day, exercise vigorously in hot environments, and no flare-ups whatsoever.

The freezing method might just be a fantastic alternative. I'm interested to hear if someone tries it.

Good luck to those that can try it :)

As has been mentioned, the sea-salt is chemically different than the table salt. The likely curative in the sea-salt is the magnesium component, which has known anti-inflammatory properties [1] and antimicrobial properties [2] as well.

Also of note is the exercise in which you are engaging. "Moderate" exercise has been show to boost immune function [3], and there is a very strong positive correlation between inflammatory skin conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis and weak immune function [4]. Moreover, exercise has been shown to increase circulating cortisol levels [5], cortisol being an anti-inflammatory hormone.

Another variable that could be impacting your rosacea is the exposure to sunlight, which helps your skin produce vitamin D3 [6], another anti-inflammatory molecule [7].

The combination of all these factors could be having a powerful effect on your immune system and consequently your inflammatory response.

Anyone wanting to obtain the anti-inflammatory properties of sea salt without actually going to the sea can simply purchase "Epsom salt", which is magnesium sulfate. Simply spread an aqueous solution of magnesium sulfate on your face with a cotton ball and you may be able to replicate the results that Cpt has produced. That combined with moderate exercise, exposure to sunlight, and good diet may very well be of help to you.

For my part, I have suffered from mild rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis for a few years now and have always found that moderate exercise and sun exposure seems to help. I have recently ordered some Epsom salt and will see if this helps to resolve my conditions.

[1] - http://www.jacn.org/content/24/3/166.abstract*
[2] - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16380359
[3] - http://www.presidentschallenge.org/info ... digest.pdf
[4] - http://www.hiv.va.gov/provider/manual-p ... ologic.asp
[5] - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18787373
[6] - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15585788
[7] - http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/57/1/63.abstract

* C-Reactive proteins are a proxy (indicator) for inflammation. Higher CRP means more inflammation.
Scottish
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Cpt.Caveman2 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:53 am

I have experimented with this method for a little while now and seem to have a system that works for me now. Here it is:

Firstly, nothing has been better than actually spending some time out in the ocean in Eastern Australia (Sydney) regularly. This can keep the rosacea at bay for at least a week with no deliberate treatment, and after a flare-up one episode in the water out in the sun is enough to reduce it around 75%. The second episode soon after completely clears it.

The second best method I have found is this:

1) bottle some sea-water from the beach, preferably when there is good water quality and the water is not full of rain-water run off.
2) dip a cotton wool bud in the sea-water and apply it to my face and let it dry. I might do this 4-6 times letting it dry each time.
3) flush the salt water off with some fresh water.
4) apply a good quality moisturiser without added nasties, such as Eau Thermale Avene Hydrance Optimale Legere (Light Hydrating Cream).

If I'm not in the sea regularly and I can use this method most days I can keep the rosacea at bay quite easily even while doing regular exercise, eating spicy foods, drinking the occasional wine. Its nowhere near as effective as the real thing thought, but a good alternative to drugs!

I tried the table-salt and water method quite a few times and it just seemed to flare up my rosacea and send me bright red. I wasn't a fan of this method and I don't recommend it at all.

I hope this helps someone, and I'm sure there are plenty of similar and reasonable alternatives if you're not living in Eastern Australia.

Thanks to Scottish for shedding light on the different elements above. Makes a lot of sense!
Cpt.Caveman2
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mel63 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:55 pm

I noticed that my papules would shrink after I swim in my saltwater pool. I test my pool water on a weekly basis and its 4000 ppm of salt. You can not taste the salt so maybe just putting table salt in a bottle of water is too high of a concentration.

I am not sure if its the combination of the saltwater and the vit.d3 from the sun,maybe both. Funny thing was I made an appoint. with my derm because of a break out on a mon. I was swimming in my pool all weekend and by the time I went to my appoint on mon. my skin noticeably improved. My Dr. made me hold a mirror in front of my face and said show me the area of your face that is bothering you?

Problem is swim season is just about over. I need to make my own saltwater and make sure the concentration of salt is correct. I will keep you updated.

One last thing....it doesn't seem to help with redness.
mel63
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Dr J » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:36 am

Hello Everyone, I am Dr J,

This is relatively new to me as well. It has been 42 years before I finally realized what is going on overall. I had the remedies in high school living next to the beach, and also in college going to SLO beaches through the 90's going frequently...

I really enjoyed that some of us figured out that saltwater and minimal sun helps the face complexions in so many ways..

I will elaborate soon, since this is my first email to you all.

Only the best,

Dr J
Dr J
I'm new here
I'm new here

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies