I found a very effective semi-natural method - Salt water

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Re: I found a very effective semi-natural method - Salt water

Postby Peter » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:41 am

Hey CaptCaveman

It’s claimed that salt demonstrates anti-bacterial properties so it could well be that the salt water is also having an anti-inflammatory effect on your rosacea. The sun can also help in the same way so maybe if you could bottle all of this mixture up or turn it into a cream you could become a millionaire :)

If this regime is working for you then my advice would be to stick with it.

Peter
Peter
Star Member
Star Member

Postby yoli » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Wow, this is great maybe I shall consider it. I live in Miami, Florida so I have the ocean pretty close to me. I don't think I will get into the water but maybe get some in a bottle an try it out first for a week. it might work it is a little scary as salt water shall irritate but I have heard that salt water is very good for everything.
yoli
Star Member
Star Member

Postby CptCaveman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:23 am

I've never had sea water irritate it before, only my own mixes of iodised table salt and water :)
CptCaveman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:08 pm

I wonder if you could freeze it in ice cube trays and thaw one out to use for two or three days at a time in a spritzer bottle kept in the fridge. Since it's not preserved, it will spoil (bacteria will build up in it) after about a day at room temp, and maybe about three to five days in the fridge (same as food..). However, I bet the salt content will make it last a bit longer..

Cheers!

aRtist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Red Rose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:34 pm

lol...the beer part was funny...sorry, made me laugh...ah...anyway, the salt water sounds like something worth trying...i lived in Hollywood, FL during the first 2 years of my rosacea and i used to go swimming almost every day (that area usually has big sandbars and pool like crystaline calm waters) and now that you mention it, my flare ups back then were very rare and only affected a little spot on my left cheek. Then we moved to Nashville, TN and all heck broke loose...i miss FL.
See, the only part that doesn't make much sense is the fact that exposure to sunlight is supposed to be a big no-no for rosacea sufferers. Even if you wear sunscreen.
[color=#4000FF]There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore.And who always will.So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.[/color]
Red Rose
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Lisamouries » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Redrose.
It may be possible that the weather/temperature has badly affected your Rosacea. Isn't Nashville very humid and hot compared to FL? Also going from an air conditioned space to a very hot space can bring bad flushing. Just a thought.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Red Rose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi Lisamourie! Nashville has a weather similar to Mexico city (which is where i was bron and raised). During the hot season it gets very hot but it's not too humid at all, while summer and fall are pretty mild, and during winter it can get VERY cold (it hardly gets any snow though, compared to the states farther north). Now i truly believe that in my particular case there were 3 main factors that triggered the rosacea:

1. The affordability and variety of all sorts of food (believe me when i tell you, i love my country but the grass WAS IN FACT GREENER when i came to the US, this country it's all i ever imagined and more). I fell in love with processed foods, gravies...especially the biskettes and gravy with a country steak, oh my gosh their flavor is just magical...and slowly but surely i started overeating the types of food you should eat just once in a while.
2. A/C and heat. I had never had a central air unit nor knew they existed until i was 23 and living here in the US so it has taken some time. I used to have colds all the time from going into places with A/C running cold and going out to the heat of the beach. In TN was similar, just cold out in the street and warm in the stores or home. So my sinuses finally have gotten better but my skin is still protesting.
3. Pregnancy hormones...aaahhhh you gotta love pregnancy, it messes with your hormones so bad!

So, just like i had to get caught up with my english, i realized needed to adapt and do some changes in what i can control to ease the rosacea flare ups. I never knew how much a skin problem can affect so many different areas of your life! I am so glad to have found this rosacea support group, it has so much info! and so many nice people like you!
[color=#4000FF]There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore.And who always will.So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.[/color]
Red Rose
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CptCaveman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:33 am

After some time keeping an eye on my rosacea, I have reached a conclusion about salt water:

Regular bathing in sea-water (Eastern Australian conditions) is superior to any other treatment method I have tried, including pharmaceuticals.

Table salt and water solutions do help, but are nowhere near as effective and are prone to cause some temporary irritation.

For example, its summer here and I tend to get in the ocean at least once a week, and I always forget to use my rosex cream. I drink beer several times a week, spend time in the sun, eat spicy foods, have coffee every day, exercise vigorously in hot environments, and no flare-ups whatsoever.

The freezing method might just be a fantastic alternative. I'm interested to hear if someone tries it.

Good luck to those that can try it :)
CptCaveman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:36 am

CptCaveman welcome back. Nice to hear from you. I've been thinking about your salt water theory and I'm not surprised it isn't the same thing as the sea. Seas have lots of other nutrients in them so that has to also have an effect on the skin.
Have you considered using miso soup instead of salt? It's got to be better than the 'pee' theory that's been circulating lately. I'm just joking... (rofl)

Redrose. You lucky girl. I always wanted to go to Mexico. Love the music, the food, the art. What can I say. I'm real jealous.
Your English is excellent BTW. As regards to differences in temperature have you read the Australian Sciences thread it's very interesting and might help.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=431&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=room+temperature

Take care.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby deaconess » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:51 am

I've been struggling with rosacea since January. The only respite I've had was when I went snorkeling in the Galapagos. My skin cleared up beautifully. As soon as I came home the rosacea returned. I assumed it was the change in my diet while in Ecuador--fresh fruits and vegetables, fish and low carb.. After unsuccessfully doing elimination diets I decided it might have something to do with the salt water. I went to the beach this weekend and put salt water on my face (too rough for swimming). I had a giant pimple on the end of my nose that had been there for several weeks and wouldn't go away. The next morning it was gone. I brought a bottle of sea water home with me. I have continued to use it but am working blind. I decided to look online for anything about rosacea and sea salt and found this sight. I will try the repeat applications over an hour or so (in the Galapagos it was probably only on my skin a couple of hours before I took a shower.) I only returned from the beach yesterday so my water is fresh. I hesitate to use the water from the East River (I live in Manhattan) but can have someone bring a fresh supply from Long Island once a week over the summer. Has any one come up with a way of storing the water or a recipe that they find satisfactory. Also, I am open to any other info that may be helpful. It was wonderful to find this site and read your messages.
deaconess
I'm new here
I'm new here

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies