I found a very effective semi-natural method - Salt water

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Re: I found a very effective semi-natural method - Salt water

Postby CptCaveman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:19 am

Ive stopped using the salt water and am only continuing with the rosex. The salt seemed really effective in reducing flare-ups, only I found actually going in the sea being far more effective than my solution.

It seems to be staying away reasonable well even after vigorous exercise. I'll try cutting back the rosex slowly, and seeing if the salt water can keep it away.

:)

Anyone else having any luck?
CptCaveman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks soooooooo much for letting us know. It was very thoughtful and extremely helpful of you to follow up like that.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CptCaveman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:24 am

I went two days without rosex, and spent some time in the ocean on both days. This is day 3, with rosex again and no salt water yet, and the rosacea has further decreased in the last 3 days.

:)
CptCaveman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby olivia777 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:49 am

Hi - I've been looking through your site for a while now, hoping to find something to help my sister with her quite bad and very long-term rosacea. She doesn't have a computer, and wants only natural remedies. She tried your salt solution (just rinsing her face for about ten minutes of continual splashing with salt water), and is already reporting great improvement in her condition - after two days! Thanks so much for bothering to record your experiments in such detail, it encouraged her to give this slightly counter-intuitive remedy a go. She's planning to get in some sea bathing as well. Previously she was worried the salty sea might exacerbate her skin condition. I hope you are continuing to see improvement in your own situation.
Olivia
olivia777
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:51 pm

Olivia: You are so sweet to find help for your sister. Rosacea can be so difficult and it's so amazing when someone really understands. I'm so glad the salt water is helping her. Let us know how she does. There are tons of options to consider. The trick is finding what works for her. I think it's best to try things slowly and cautiously and to only try things that seem to have repeatedly helped people. One thing might help one person, but cause another person to react..

All the best!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CptCaveman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:03 am

Okay, here is a summary of my experiences since I trialled the salt-water:

- The salt water on its own doesn't seem to be very effective at reducing the rosacea. However, I didn't give salt water a fair go without rosex as I was worried about a potential flare up. I do have quite a number of regular habits that aggravate the rosacea, such as vigirous exercise in a hot environment, caffiene, spicy foods, chilly, occasional alcohol intake, so variables were not well controlled for. I also didn't maintain daily use of the salt water when the rosex was keeping it at bay. I would say that I still haven't tested daily salt water application adequately (is anyone game to avoid any potential aggravators for a week and to use only salt water? There is very little chance that I will be able to avoid all aggravators for a week).

- The stronger the salinity of the salt water, the more irritation I experience, mainly in the form of increased and more pronounced redness (not expanding of rosacea sites). Even so, a few hours after applying the salt water my skin recovers, and it tends to recover to a point that was better than
before the application of the salt water. Reducing the salinity made it much less likely to irritate my skin, and I still gained improvements from a salinity level that only mildly irritated my skin.

- It tends to be repeated application in the one setting that seems to bring on the improvements. The improvements can be noticed by feeling how smooth skin is over the rosacea site. With repeated application it gets smoother and smoother (a possible cue to stop maybe? It seems to decrease the local inflammation of the rosacea sites).

- Often the salt water will improve the overall quality of my skin where the rosacea sites are, and it often doesn't remove the redness as well as rosex.

- So far I have not been able to have the same results as I get from surfing in ocean water for around 2hrs or so, often in sunny weather. Air temperature while I'm surfing doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but then again I didn't adequately track temperature vs. rosacea, I was only relying on memory.

Maybe a loose guideline is:
1) Continue to use more conventional methods to control and reduce the size of rosacea sites, especially if you have sensitive skin.
2) Find a salinity level that doesn't cause too much irritation.
3) Repeat the flush/dry cycle until you can feel a noticeable improvement in the smoothness of the skin over the rosacea sites.
4) Rinse the dried salt off your face with fresh water.
5) Bathe in sea water instead if possible, and during bathing allow for periods of having your head above water to initiate some drying between the flushes of sea water.
6) Come to Sydney, Australia and take up surfing :)
Last edited by CptCaveman on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
CptCaveman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:37 am

Hmmm. Point six seems very attractive I must admit even if taking up surfing could be quite a challenge...
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Cptcaveman: Thanks for sharing! I wonder if the difference is that your whole body is in the surf and sun, including your hair/head/scalp. Maybe the scalp needs to be treated along with the face. Perhaps it's treating a microorganism that resides in both areas?

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Rebecca » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:04 am

We have a gym in my town that has a salt water pool. I've been considering it for awhile... No sun in there but plenty of whole body exposure to salt water. Hmm...
Rebecca
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CptCaveman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:27 am

After running out of rosex and getting a really back flare up, my rosacea has completely disappeared after 2 days of swimming in the sea and using rosex again. Theres definitely something good going on with salt water :)
CptCaveman
I'm new here
I'm new here

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies