I found a very effective semi-natural method - Salt water

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Re: I found a very effective semi-natural method - Salt wate

Postby nabubbles » Sun May 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here, and just came across this very interesting thread. I unfortunately don't live anywhere close to the sea, so I was wondering if anyone has tried using epsom salts, as suggested by Scottish above?

I have ocular rosacea and mild-medium facial rosacea (my skin is currently going through a good phase, though - I think stress and winter weather are major triggers for me). I use Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser and jojoba oil to moisturize, and nothing else - but am thinking the epsom salts may help when I have flare ups.

Thanks!
nabubbles
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Mon May 27, 2013 12:48 pm

hi
I believe there are people who have had success with using epsom salts for rosacea, I have not tried it. As with any thing new, please do a patch test first.
I use jojoba oil also, and aquanil cleanser. I've been using glo minerals powder for redness but lately i'm wondering if it is a little drying.
Take care
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby sasurfer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi CPTCaveman.

I want to know how this played out for you. I have been diagnosed with rosacea and am quite a active surfer. Let alone love the sun and lifestyle. Obviously, having just found this out I can't help feeling rather daunted by it all. After reading your message I felt really good as it was exactly what I needed to hear and went surfing. However, it feels like I can really feel the sun (mybe because I am currently having a breakout?) Anyway, I noted the date of your message and wondered how this played out for you?

Thanks!
sasurfer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby sasurfer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:54 am

And for those wanting to share methods, I am going to the beach every morning and putting salt water on my face. I will also be surfing hopefully a couple of times a week. Mixing this with Rosex treatment and will update.

Then I have been trying to limit Rosex to once a day, and now trying it twice to see if there is a difference. With salt exposure it seems to definitely help appearance at this stage (I don't have it too bad but keeping a eye on the details) But if I have not put on Rosex in the morning it seems by evening it is a little worse (the few marks there are)

I am also still trying to figure out the difference between a break out / the little puss thingys / and dayly flushy feeling and tingling face.

Lastly, got a email about Galderma’s Ivermectin 1% with good reports. Anyone have any insight?

Cheers,
sasurfer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi
Just wanted to welcome you to the board. I think the salt water method might be helpful for the ppules and pustules, however for the flushing etc, i am not sure.
Best of luck
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby sasurfer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks Fanny,

I hear you. Still trying to understand all of this. So is there something for the flushing? And what exactly is the Rozex doing? And the 1% alternative I mention above? Any idea?

Thanks.
sasurfer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi
I did not find roses(metro gel) helpful but I know others have. have you considered finacea (azelaic acid), many people have found it more useful than rosex for the papules and pustules of rosacea. the ivermectin topical you mention is not yet available, it is only in the trial phase. It sounds hopeful for a good alternative to metro gel. As far as flushing, that is the million dollar question. There are a few options, vbeam laser, oral medication such as clonidine, propranolol etc.
I do not know of anything with guaranteed results, trial and error i am afraid.
Best wishes
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby mc_43 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:49 pm

(Intro = my skin complexion - method of sea salt use towards bottom)

I love hearing more people are using this method, but I also agree there are many different ways to use sea salt on your face depending on your sensitivity. I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis last year, and at the beginning I was using very harsh products to keep it under control. Within two months, I was diagnosed with rosacea and prescribed a MetroGel type cream. The following months were a constant battle between hydrating and protecting my rosacea, without aggravating and feeding the seborrheic dermatitis on my face.

My skin has always been sensitive: to sun, heat, sweat, cold, foods, alcohol, stress, sugar, dairy. But I had never had rosacea bumps like this. The prescribed medicine was okay, but it just wasn't cutting it. It seemed to spread my seborrheic dermatitis around, and whenever I stopped using it, the rosacea bumps seemed to come back full force - and more painful. I started searching for something that would calm my rosacea and treat my seborrheic dermatitis at the same time.

homemade SEA SALT RINSES and SOFT SCRUBS :) :) :) thank you internet gods

I am telling you, it looks so much better, and I feel so much better knowing I have some sort of control over what my face will look like when I wake up. I read about this method on the internet, a girl with a similar skin profile as myself had written it all out. I tried her method, and now I only use my prescribed rosacea cream about once a week now, if at all.

METHOD:

I take a bowl, fill it with hot/warm water. Add sea salt (some people say 2 teaspoons per .5 Liter, I just shake it in until it looks like the ocean water, the more sensitive your skin, the less salt should be used at first) - I then put the bowl of warm sea salt water in my bathroom sink, and scoop it with my hands, splashing it on my face. I do this until the water is no longer hot/warm. I then pat my face dry with a clean towel, WITHOUT rinsing the seal salt off. Be careful of your eyes. My skin stung a little the first few times, but not after that. If it stings too much, rinse with cold water, and try less salt next time.

I did this every night for a week. Amazing results. I started taking a little sea salt and using it as a light scrub in the shower, patting it on my skin and leaving for about a minute or less, and rinsing with very cold water. Even more amazing results.

This has been the most SIMPLE and CHEAP way of maintaining my skins appearance. I urge anyone to try it, esp if you also have facial seborrheic dermatitis. It has kept my oil under control, reduced flaky skin, gotten rid of bumps, and gives my skin a generally healthy glow. I use a water spray (100% water nothing else) during the day when I feel flushed, and now use the sea salt rinse method in the morning and at night.

Good luck to all! I know the struggle is real.
mc_43
I'm new here
I'm new here

Previous

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies