Rosacea cure= DONT EAT SUGAR

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Rosacea cure= DONT EAT SUGAR

Postby Rashadooks » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:03 am

I was diagnosed with Rosacea 5 years ago. I had both flushing and pustules. In the beginning I was on the contraceptive pill to combat symptoms as well as using Rosex. This treatment worked really well but after years of being on the pill I decided it was time to give my body a rest. After about a month of being off the pill my skin went CRAZY- flushing, pustules and swelling :( (Even when I was still using the Rosex cream).
I decided to go and see a naturopath and she put me on potassium tissue salts and my skin was clearer in days. No idea why it worked but I started to get heart palpilations after a while so it was definately not a long term solution.
In the end my naturopath suggested that I tried a candida diet. It's very strict and really challenging at times BUT... I have NO ROSACEA whatsoever! I have been off the initial candida diet phase for quite awhile and I occasionally enjoy wheat and sugar here and there, but only small amounts. If I over do it, I notice my Rosacea slowly creeping back. So my cure for my rosacea is to not eat any sugar- complex, fructose etc. It's hard but I feel soooooo much better for it and I finally have my face back :)
Rashadooks
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Rosacea cure= DONT EAT SUGAR

Postby Mike T » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:13 am

There are some cases were Rosacea Symptoms greatly improve under Candida overgrowth/SIBO/Gastrointestinal treatment.

It is one of the many causatial factors implicated in the development/progression of Rosacea including vascular, demodex, physcological, emotional, genetic, dermatitis, light (heat), medications and so on.

I would think in most cases, and the reason as to why there is no "cure" for this disease yet, is because it is related to a combination of the above and possibly more which are not documented thus far.

Some Rosaceans are lucky enough to pin point there major triggers early on while it may take others months, even years, to experience remission.

You truly got the two birds with one stone. Remission and a healthier lifestyle.

All the best.

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby spencer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi Rashadooks, Your story sounds similar to mine, in the sense that I've just gone off of some hormones and I'm experiencing more flushing, pustules, etc. I'm now seeing a naturopath and have been on a candida diet for roughly 2 months. While I do still get flushing, my skin has improved greatly. Unfortunately, however, I went for a test recently that confirmed that I still have candida. After months of taking probiotics and then, more recently, this diet, I took some allopathic meds. I only have to take 3 pills, so I'm amazed anything can work in that short amount of time (given that I've been struggling with this on and off for years). I wouldn't be surprised if candida is a major reason for my rosacea. Hopefully, these pills will help stave off the candida for a bit. And I'm going to stick to the diet as well. It's easy after a couple of weeks, but it is difficult to eat out or go to a friend's place.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear something worked for you. Wishing you continued success!
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Mike T » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:29 am

If anyone on a candida diet or the like, particularily if antibiotics are involved, it is really importent to replace the good bacteria/fauna in your intestines as the antibiotic doesnt distinguish between the two.

While probiotic pills are ok the best probiotic in my experience is homemade Kefir.

Just type "how to make Kefir in google".

All you need is some Kefir grains and milk.

It is probably the most effective probiotic product you can get as it coats the tract whilst replenishing the good bacteria. Something which is essential to allow the good bacteria to regain control.

All the best,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby Julie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:06 am

Hello,
Congratulations on your success, avoiding sugar is a hard road to follow, but I have noticed my skin is better the less I eat. About 80% of my diet is proteins and veggies, and I still have not had complete success. I think this is cause I probably allow more things than I should. Could you give a more detailed explanation on what you had on a day to day basis. And also things other than the obvious you should avoid. For example certain fruits, nuts, agave nectar? How many carbs per day? Corn? etc., and was there anything you could ever drink as far as alcoholic beverages go? I would really like to know more tricks of the trade.

Thanx.
Julie
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Rashadooks » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:01 am

Thanks very much for all your comments :)

After years of doctors telling me I basically had to put up with it and then prescibing me lotions that would burn my face off, I couldn't be happier that I have found such an excellent naturopath to help me out!

The Candida diet is certainly a challenge, especially when you visit friends' house Spencer! I've found myself bringing over my own plate of food- my friends understand but it's a bit hard to resist the jokes about their bad cooking!

Mike I'm definitely going to have a go at making Kefir, the benefits sound amazing and I much to treat with food other than pills.

Julie- The Candida diet that I'm following seems to work for me but I know there are many variations of the candida diet with subtle variations on the do's and don'ts. My general meal plan goes a bit like this....

Breakfast- 100% popped corn and 100% popped rice (found in the health food section of the supermarket- the one I buy comes in a plastic bag) with sugar free, malt free soy milk. This took some getting use to but I now find it delicious!

Lunch- I pre make zuchinni slice- heat and mix in some tuna. My zuchinni slice usually contains- 2 zuchinnis, 2 carrots, sometimes parsnip, corn, 4 eggs, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 cup potato flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder, ginger, parsely and sometimes bacon. OR I eat left overs from last nights dinner.

Dinner- I am living out of my wok and loving it! I make stir frys gallore.....
chicken/beef, fresh ginger, garlic, capsicum, onion, carrot, broccoli, bamboo shoots, cashews and water cresnuts stir fry served with jasmine rice

Green/red curry- 2 tbspn green/red curry paste ("Thai Gourmet"- no preservatives or sugar), chicken, cashews, broccoli, capsicum, onions, then add approx 240ml coconut cream and simmer, serve with jasmine rice.

Fried Rice- lots of variations

Roast meat and roast veg
steamed pumpkin, sweet potato, carot and potato with sea salt and cracked pepper
Rashadooks
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Rashadooks » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:12 am

For snacks I usually eat carots, macadamia and cashew nuts and plain kettle chips. I also Looooooooovvveeee eating organic rice cakes with mountains of avacado and tomato with cracked pepper and sea salt on top, yummo!

I drink only water and malt free soy milk and occasionally have a organic green tea or T2 has a great spice blend tea I drink.

My first 4 weeks on the diet I didn't eat any potato, sweet potato, corn or onion. I don't eat alot of fruit as yet because when I do I feel my skin becoming prickly and the next day I'll have a mini outbreak :( But if I am craving something sweet I'll eat a prune. I haven't really had to do this that often because I eat really, really big meals so that I rarely feel hungry. I do take a multi vitamin everyday though to make sure I'm getting the essentials.

I did have a hens night a few weeks back and I drank vodka, lime (fresh not cordial) and soda and I didn't have an outbreak. I'm usually a scotch girl so it took a bit of getting used to! I also took lots of fish oil before I went to sleep (natropaths' suggestion).

Hope that help Julie :)
Rashadooks
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby stilllucky » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi i am new to this site and to roseaca. It is just horrible i used to be pretty but now hate to look in the mirror. I notice your post is 3 years old are you still on the diet and do you mind giving me an update?

Thanks! Tara
stilllucky
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SlickNick » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Tara
I notice there is no answer to your post so I will comment if you don't mind. I too am a long term rosacea/dermatitis/psoriasis sufferer which is confined regrettably to my face - why can't we just get it on our bums or somewhere else we can just cover it?! Believe me SUGAR is the bigger enemy of the rosaceans. Sugar is the biggest addiction to conquer (sugar is more addictive than smoking and scientists reckon it actually takes 5 years to break the addiction in full - it's that addictive!) but as soon as you do cut it out of your diet you should reap the rewards. Don't forget sugar is in many forms - cut out fruit. Refined carbs - cut out rice and pasta and bread. And of course all the obvious stuff like fruit juices, junk food etc. Sometimes if I drink a lot of wine it will come back - even more so if you have beer. Beware! - It's the snacks though you have to watch because before you know it you're having a few raisins and some yogurt with strawberries and a few grapes etc and the skin problems start flaring up again. I also use a water based coconut moisturiser to help create a barrier over the skin. I find if you do this and use a little water spray bottle to spray your face regularly with cold water it really helps to cool the skin and reduce the inflammation. I too am now looking into Candida eradication and seeing if this will have any effect on the skin issues. I know the no sugar/carb diet sounds tough but you do get used to it. Lots and lots of green veggies, plenty of water, and you can still eat fat and protein to fill you up - lamb, fish, chicken, goats cheese, seeds, nuts - there's plenty to keep things interesting!
I know all about the psychological impact of this affliction. I have cancelled many social engagements as my face was a mess. The stinging face, the tight skin, weeping sores and redness I can totally relate to and it was merely by accident that I found the "No Sugar" approach about 2 years ago. I had been suffering for over 20 years up to that point. One last thing - I find using a skin toner (I use Garnier's BB Cream Miracle Skin Perfector) helps when you have to go out and face the world. I never thought I would end up wearing make-up but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do from time to time! Hope this is helpful and if there's anyone out there who would like to add anything about the positive impact of the "No Sugar" diet...feel free.
SlickNick
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SlickNick » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:49 pm

I commented about the effects of sugar on the skin which I do think is a contributor of Rosacea. HOWEVER, over the past few months I have been looking at the effects of water and the skin. Some people believe you can cure any illness with water which could be taking it to the extremes but there is no doubting the beneficial effects of water in relation to the skin. If your rosacea/dermatitis goes through a cycle like mine water is the best solution/treatment. My skin goes thru a cycle of redness which then hardens and then the skin starts to flake off over a period of about a week. The skin then looks pretty good for a couple of days and then the redness/flaking cycle begins all over again (particularly on and around the nose/chin and forehead). The best way to prevent this from happening is drinking lots of water - at least 8 glasses a day plus herbal teas. It's best to make the water as alkaline as possible by adding a pinch of bicarbonate of soda. The water keeps your skin hydrated and stops it from becoming red and drying out. It has taken me 20 years to work out this simple FREE solution. I can still eat all the things I like but make sure you keep a close eye on sugar intake. I still drink lots of wine and the occasional dessert but the water keeps it all in check. I think if you have rosacea/dermatitis you have to accept you are always going to have it but by simply increasing your water intake you will keep yourself cool and hydrated. You will notice if you are drinking lots of water your skin will feel plumper and your nose will be cool/cold to the touch. If you are having a flare-up you will notice how hot your body is but particularly your face and your nose especially. With the increased water the body temperature is better regulated and your face and nose will feel much cooler. WATER IS THE KEY TO EVERYTHING. You will also probably notice your urine will not be orange in colour and your bowel movements will be more regular - all because of a few humble glasses of water. It would be very interesting to see if other sufferers have had the same success with this simple and free remedy.
SlickNick
I'm new here
I'm new here

Next

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies