Does Honey work with Rosacea & seb Derm?

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Re: Does Honey work with Rosacea & seb Derm?

Postby sandra lee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:38 am

Thanks Bellablu,
I tried a little on my forehead last night and this morning without reaction so maybe I will try another area tonight and see how it goes.
Thanks Auburn for clarifying the difference and if this does not moisturize or makes me worse I will try your recommendation,but I truly am confused still.
This is a wonderful site with many sincerely helpful people and I am glad I found it although it is quite a task trying to decide which products to try.
Thanks Mike for your input also and if you get any success with managing stress I hope you will share as I can really use it. Sandy
sandra lee
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby David Pascoe » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:30 am

Some recent trials have shown a formulation of medical grade honey and 10% glycerin helps rosacea symptoms.

See
for more information.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby DianaRain » Sat May 14, 2016 1:13 am

I have found the Honevo Kanuka Honey to be awesome for papulopustular rosacea. Started with a small test patch but now using daily for 10 minutes. I'm afraid to try it for longer than that. It also makes my skin really soft. It holds the papules at bay although does not always clear them up completely. I have been using it for about ten days. Read about it in David's blog.
DianaRain
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby David Pascoe » Sat May 14, 2016 1:18 am

Great to hear. I hope that it works even better for you in the future!
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:18 am

The patent that covers the Honeyvo formulation of kanuka honey and glycerin can be found here.

Honey compositions

WO 2015030605 A1

Inventors Shaun Lister HOLT, Laurence Greig
Applicant Honeylab Limited

This invention relates generally to compositions comprising honey and glycerine, methods for preparing such compositions and their use for the treatment or prevention of skin diseases such as acne, rosacea, nappy rash, or those caused by herpes simplex virus 1 or herpes simplex virus 2.

In recent times, manuka honey, in particular, has received attention for its reported antibacterial activity. This honey is produced by bees who harvest the nectar of Leptospermum scoparium. The antibacterial activity of manuka honey has been labelled the "Unique Manuka Factor" (UMF) and it has been reported that the UMF derives from the presence of methylglyoxal in the honey.

WO 2007/137369 describes medicinal compositions containing honey derived from Leptospermum scoparium and their use in treating ophthalmic, respiratory or otic conditions caused by microbial infections.

Kanuka honey, on the other hand, is a bio-active honey that is less well-known than manuka honey. It is produced by bees who harvest the nectar of the kanuka (Kunzea er!coides) and has been found to have anti-microbial activity against Staphylococcus aureus. Furthermore, raw kanuka honey has been reported to have methylglyoxal levels of about 1024 mg/kg and medical grade kanuka honey has been reported to have methylglyoxal levels of 1154 mg/kg (S Holt et al., The Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine, (2012) 18(3), 203-204).

In a second aspect the invention provides a method of preparing a honey composition including the step of admixing honey with glycerine, at a ratio of honey to glycerine of about 85% honey : 15% glycerine to about 95% honey : 5% glycerine (w/w). Preferably the honey is a bio-active honey, more preferably it is kanuka honey. Alternatively, the honey may be a mixture of bio-active honeys, e.g. a mixture of manuka and kanuka honeys. Still more preferably the honey is medical grade kanuka honey.

Preferably the honey composition comprises about 90% w/w honey and about 10% w/w glycerine.

David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Previous

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies