Does Honey work with Rosacea & seb Derm?

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Re: Does Honey work with Rosacea & seb Derm?

Postby sandra lee » Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 am

I have been washing my face with honey for about a year without any noticable problems except the occassional flushing but since starting Oracea(almost a month ago)and using Noritate(almost 2 months)I just recently developed a red spot on the side of my nose(almost like a blood blister),and more frequent flushing and was wondering if anyone has had this happen after starting meds.
Thanks for any input.
sandra lee
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby sandra lee » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi Auburn,
I stopped by the healthfood store today looking for the virgin coconut oil and I found it in a jar but it is actually for cooking.Is this the same as you are using?
I have been using manuka honey to wash and vanicream for moisturizing,but wanted to try the coconut oil.Thanks
sandra lee
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Mike T » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Sandra,

I might jump in and answer your question even though it isn't adressed to me. Auburn can correct/add to it.

The coconut oil used for topical skin treatments is the same as that used in cooking.

I have a coconut oil (or butter depending on temperature) which is organic, virgin, cold pressed and unrefined (made by Melrose).

I would still excercise caution with all "natural treatments" by means of gradual spot testing.

In many cases i have after succesfull spot testing on a small area of my face smeared the product all over my face only to have a bad reaction the next day which required steroid use to clear quick.

You need to know that different areas of the face can react differently to the same product and that reactions to certain products are not always a simple case of you either do react or you don't. Many times i have been able to avoid subsequent reactions to the same product by optimising duration, quantity and concentration used.

In my personal experience i know that if i get serious itching and heat shortly after application localised to the treatment site that the product is a no go. I will immidiatley wash it off and may apply Elidel to minimise swelling, redness and papules forming.
If i get localised redness/itching after a few days, weeks even months after using a treatment i know it is time to reduce the inflammation then lower the duration and/or quantity and/or concentration. If i must lower these factors to a point were the treatment is no longer effective just to escape a reaction then i discontinue the product. In future when i feel my skin barrier is stronger i may reintroduce it gradually.

Regards,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby sandra lee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Mike,
Thank you so much for replying and as I am fairly new to this site and trying different treatments I so greatly appreciate any input.How very nice of you to bring this to my attention.
I am looking for natural treatments as the prescription topicals do not help and some make tthings worse.
I certainly will test areas before using!!
sandra lee
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Auburn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:29 am

Hello Sandy, (wave)

sandra lee wrote:Hi Auburn,
I stopped by the healthfood store today looking for the virgin coconut oil and I found it in a jar but it is actually for cooking.Is this the same as you are using?

No, it's not. I only use virgin coconut oil on my skin (regular coconut oil is refined).

The polyphenols present in the virgin oil are missing in refined coconut oil. Polyphenols are said to have antioxidant characteristics and block the action of enzymes that cancers need for growth.

Take good care.

Auburn

PS: I use refined coconut oil in my cooking, mostly for sautéing and baking, because of its high medium-chain fatty acid content.

PS: Please don't use this oil directly from the jar as you would baby oil or a lotion. Keep it in the fridge and only use a small pea-size amount which you melt on your hands first and then apply to your face. It should feel as if you haven't applied enough. If you apply too much oil, it will saturate your skin and cause pimples.

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby sandra lee » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Auburn,
I'm a little confused,the coconut oil I purchased is (I won't print the brand)EXPELLER PRESSED Organis Virgin Coconut Oil Unrefined.
Where do you get yours? Thanks
sandra lee
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Auburn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:41 pm

I use this one for face and body (more info about this virgin oil here: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgi ... ut_oil.htm)

And this one for cooking (more info about this refined expeller-pressed oil here: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/expel ... ut_oil.htm)

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby sandra lee » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks again Auburn
sandra lee
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby sandra lee » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Auburn,
I just went on the website and I can't find the one with the black label.Should I pm you?Thanks
sandra lee
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby bellableu » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:54 pm

sandra lee wrote:Hi Auburn,
I'm a little confused,the coconut oil I purchased is (I won't print the brand)EXPELLER PRESSED Organis Virgin Coconut Oil Unrefined.
Where do you get yours? Thanks

Sandra Lee, your oil is probably fine for this purpose - it's organic, virgin, unrefined. If it smells like coconut, you're good to go. If it doesn't, then it's been deodorized, and you wouldn't want to use it on your skin. :)
Subtypes I, II, IV - mild to moderate

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies