The best thing is to stop all face washing, including water!

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

The best thing is to stop all face washing, including water!

Postby aquarianjewlery » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:36 am

[Moderator's Note: the web links have been removed as the moderators are suspicious of the relationship between this poster and the spa in question.]

I just wanted to post something I've just discovered to be working very well for my rosacea and clogged pores. About 3 years ago at the ripe old age of 25 I started to get rosy cheeks, around this time I also had my first facial with Dr. Hauschka products. Before this, I had used very sparingly, a few other natural products and maybe washed my face 1x per day mostly with just water. So I get this facial, and the very nice and well meaning esthetician tells me that the rosiness could be pre-rosacea, and I should use the line of Hauschka products to help prevent it. So I start washing my face 2x a day as recommended, and using all their expensive natural products, and following their advice to skip moisturizing at night to allow the skin to breath. Roughly 2 months later I start getting papules and pustules on my cheeks, and my skin feels very dry, but I'm thinking this is genetics because my grandfather had horrible rosacea, or due to hormones or my digestion which was terrible at this time as well. All of these things are related, so they say, to the rosacea, so I set out to heal these various health issue. I find out I'm gluten/lactose intolerance, and I have a severe allergy to eggs which I love and eat everyday. So I stop eating the offending foods and take a bunch of vitamins and probiotics. I get a course of colonics to flush out parasites, and I get amalgam fillings removed. All the while I'm trying IPL, and LED light therapies, and all kinds of sulfur and zinc preparations, and in the end only tea tree oil plus oil washing with jojoba oil and a wash cloth. I basically tried everything but antibiotics, which I refuse because of the digestion issues. It's great, I'm eating super healthy organic, and feeling so much better, but you wouldn't know it to look at my tired irritated skin. That's when I get back online for like the 100,000,000th time to look for answers. I'd long since given up on facials, as they always seemed to make my face worse, but I ran across this women Sharon Dzialo who has a TON of really good reviews all over the web, here's her site [link removed]. She's in Portland Or by the way. I decide take the plunge and make an appointment, hoping that it will help, but feeling like it will likely make thing worse. I get to the appointment and she's this energetic women in her 50's, with this whole presentation about the skin, and all these before and after pics of people with rosacea and acne, and she proclaims all of these fabulous results are because these people stopped washing their faces. Not even with WATER!!!! She describes how years ago she figured out that all redness and irritation was due to dryness, and oil glands getting all out of wack from washing too much and using scrubs and other drying, rough, treatments. She also shows me how I should apply a very rich cream onto my face by dabbing with ring finger sizable gobs, very gently 2x a day, using so much at night that it's almost like a face mask, and tells me to avoid all water, even in the shower. To wash visible dirt of the face, she recommends dabbing a very soft baby wash cloth damp with moisturizer on it lightly on the face. She says I'll have a lot of flaring or itching and things will move to the surface as things heal, but in 6 months to a year my face should be completely healed. In the meantime, I should never touch my face with anything and come in for extractions in 2 weeks. This is the SAME treatment she recommends for oily skin and acne, this she says is how you get the balance back to any skin type. So, I buy this face cream she sells because I've just been using jojoba, and I start this process realizing quickly that the face cream has a heavy perfume that I can't stand. In the back of my bathroom cabinet I dig out some old face cream called Honey Girl I picked up in Hawaii, and use that instead. It's been about 2 weeks now and my skin is about 50% better, the irritation has died down, and black heads are leaving on their own accord. It's pretty wild! There was some flare up they first 2 or 3 days, but steady improvement after that. My skin defintely has a glow coming back!
The thing that really gets me, is the amount of products people with rosacea and acne are using and are encouraged to use! I remember visiting blogs and people have this long list of potions they use night and day, and it only makes me think, "could these things be causing the rosacea in first place?''. Or, is the combination of drying the skin, even if it's just with water, and other health issue like digestion, hormonal, ect, to be blamed? I don't know for sure, but completely stopping everything and keeping the skin richly moisturized is a very interesting and seldom tried route. Hope this helps.
Last edited by David Pascoe on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: removed web link
aquarianjewlery
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: The best thing is to stop all face washing, including water!

Postby Aurelia » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:27 am

Welcome to our group, but please do not ever again block-post one message in umpteen different sections. It is against the rules and just wastes our time as someone goes through deleting all the duplicates.

I have removed your post from: Foods & Diet, Cleansers, Moisturizers, Non Prescription Topicals, Experimental Treatments, and Just Diagnosed, leaving it only under the first forum you thought of, which was Natural Therapies.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby aquarianjewlery » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:39 am

Sorry about that, I didn't realize it was against the rules and I felt it fell under many different categories. Seeing as I never see any info like this on any of the many rosacea websites I've read, I was just trying to get the word out to as many rosacea sufferers as possible so they can give it a try and possibly save hundreds of dollars and much time and grief.
aquarianjewlery
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Mike T » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:46 am

Hi

I am happy this has worked for you however through my experience I can tell you I have foun the opposite.

The doctor suggested to place a thick mask of moisturising cream on your face day in and day out and not to wash it off.. And if you need to wash your face from dirt use more moisturising cream?

I am so happy when I get back at night as I can cleanse my face from the old moisturiser which has mixed with sweat and other dirts. I then reapply a fresh layer.

I am glad you see improvements, but continouly adding a cream to your face for months without washing sounds bad and may provide good results initially due to retained oiliness however sooner or later. Your pores won't take it.. I used to be scared of cleansing due to loss of moisture but now I just apply cetaphil moisturiser after.

All the best
Last edited by Mike T on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:52 am

Hello!

Was your face very dry to begin with? I don't know that this would work great for skin that is anything but extremely dry; or rather, I know it wouldn't for me! (;) My skin is combination, and the thought of not being able to wash off bacteria, oil, sweat, make-up, just makes me nervous. If I don't wash twice daily, my skin gets oily and my pores get more clogged. I distinctly remember one time when I was knocked flat with the flu; my skin looked horrible after the three-day period of non-washing.

I don't think water is drying to the skin, though, although I do agree that there are many, many harsh products out there, and people use too many at once, or switch things up too much, causing irritation and dryness, as the lady mentioned.

A few rosaceans have found that washing with only water works for them, so this might work for some people, although others have found that not washing was what was making their rosacea worse, and washing actually improved it.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:53 pm

aquarianjewlery wrote:Sorry about that, I didn't realize it was against the rules and I felt it fell under many different categories. Seeing as I never see any info like this on any of the many rosacea websites I've read, I was just trying to get the word out to as many rosacea sufferers as possible so they can give it a try and possibly save hundreds of dollars and much time and grief.

Thanks. :)

Rosacea is a very complicated condition, with four subtypes and many different kinds of possible symptoms. You could easily get together a group of rosaceans and find that their descriptions of their condition are so unalike, they have little in common. For that reason, no one treatment has ever been found to work for everyone - that's why rosacea is still termed "incurable". With luck and good management, it can be tamed and put into remission, and many dermatologists have written of patients where it eventually "burned out", but it's all a matter of trial and error.

We are very happy for you to post what appears to be working for you, but if you want to make other posts on the subject, please try to tailor the content to the forum or subforum. Thus, if you want to post in the Cleansers subforum (under Topical Treatments), please write something helpful about cleansers, and for the Foods & Diet section, write a post about food and/or drink. That would be more readily accepted by our members.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby aquarianjewlery » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:59 pm

CrabbyCathy wrote:Hello!

Was your face very dry to begin with? I don't know that this would work great for skin that is anything but extremely dry; or rather, I know it wouldn't for me! (;) My skin is combination, and the thought of not being able to wash off bacteria, oil, sweat, make-up, just makes me nervous. If I don't wash twice daily, my skin gets oily and my pores get more clogged. I distinctly remember one time when I was knocked flat with the flu; my skin looked horrible after the three-day period of non-washing.

I don't think water is drying to the skin, though, although I do agree that there are many, many harsh products out there, and people use too many at once, or switch things up too much, causing irritation and dryness, as the lady mentioned.

A few rosaceans have found that washing with only water works for them, so this might work for some people, although others have found that not washing was what was making their rosacea worse, and washing actually improved it.

Before I had the rosacea my skin was normal, slightly combination, but after the extremely natural, and supposedly gentle Dr. Hauschka products, my skin was dry on the cheek area and very inflamed. I know this may sound kind of counter intuitive at first, but basically the idea is that washing 2x a day with cleanser, and this is ANY cleanser, removes the natural oil from the skin and disrupts the acid mantel causing the water to evaporated out of the exposed skin. This over time can, in some people, cause the oil glands to overproduce in an attempt to protect the skin from the washing, and allow water from inside the body to hydrate it again. So the end result is inflamed, dehydrated, oily skin, which if you ask Sharon, is one of the causes of acne and rosacea. The oil production is a natural defense of the body responding to an irritant(washing), and is actually a good thing when left to it's own devices! When water evaporates off the skin it dehydrates it, and you can't afford this when you have skin that's stripped of its barrier and has very little water left in it. This is why stopping even water from the skin, and using a lot of rich cream with a lot of water in it, is crucial to rehydrate and heal the inflammation. This can also normalize the production of oil as the skins barrier is improved and it becomes more hydrated, the body no longer needs to produce the extra oil. Also, most people have a much longer time of flare up in the beginning because as the skin heals it pushes thing to the surface, and 3 days with out washing may have started this process for you which is why it would look worse. Also, since you can't wash you shouldn't use makeup, which is very difficult at first, but gets much easier as the skin improves. This process is really a way to heal very sensitive damaged skin and can take a long time. This is no quick fix, the healing time will vary the longer you've had the condition, and also depending on what has been done to your skin. She told me 6 months to a year for total recovery, and I have fairly strong skin that's not crazy damaged by very harsh topicals. But in the 2 weeks I've been doing this, the improvement has been amazing, and it's really great because I know I'm actually healing my skin, not just putting on a band aid. I'm just putting this out there, because I've spent TONS of money on treatments and products that where actually making my skin worse, and since it's such an affordable and simple program, I thought it might be worth a try for a lot of people. I know the idea of not washing ones face is pretty disgusting, but after the first week you kind of just get used to it, and then the improvement starts and there's no looking back! Here's a link to her website [link removed] in case you would like to talk to her more, as she's very knowledgeable, could explain this all better, and recommend a cream if you wanted. Hope this helps~
Last edited by David Pascoe on Mon May 03, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed web link
aquarianjewlery
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:22 am

I will be checking back to see how it's working for you; it sounds like it's already going quite well for you, and I'm so glad you found something that works! I know how excited I get when something finally works for me :)

As to Dr. Hauschka, yes....all natural, but we know now that "natural" oils, etc. can be irritating. Darn it.

I shall stick to my gel cleanser and water, although if I had two weeks off when I didn't have to go anywhere, I might give it a go.

Keep us updated!
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Auburn » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:44 am

Aquarianjewlery,

You may not realize this but your posts are very hard on the eyes. If you could edit them and insert blank lines to break the text into paragraphs, I'd gladly read them.

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby GJ* » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:24 am

aquarianjewlery wrote:
The thing that really gets me, is the amount of products people with rosacea and acne are using and are encouraged to use! I remember visiting blogs and people have this long list of potions they use night and day, and it only makes me think, "could these things be causing the rosacea in first place?''. Or, is the combination of drying the skin, even if it's just with water, and other health issue like digestion, hormonal, ect, to be blamed? I don't know for sure, but completely stopping everything and keeping the skin richly moisturized is a very interesting and seldom tried route. Hope this helps.

Hey aquarianjewlery

I agree with the general thrust of that. Putting lots of stuff onto the skin is perhaps a pretty understandable response (fuelled by wider marketing/cultural pressures) to discovering that one's skin doesn't quite work/look as it should. Understandable but often wrong. The use of a cleanser - however mild - often necessitates the use of a moisturiser, and so on. (The use of makeup ( and the need to get it off), does, I recognise, queer the pitch somewhat. Although, a benign oil is perhaps as good as anything at getting the stuff off).

If nothing else, an avowed simple, minimal (or no) product approach, puts a brake on that (psychologically ruinous) desperate searching for the next thing that, this time, will surely work..
GJ*
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Next

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies