Rosacea treated and gone!

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Rosacea treated and gone!

Postby miel » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:22 am

Okay....this worked for me

borax, 1% hydrogen peroxide and water mixture saturated until it looks like a paste applied to the face. I did this for 5 days or so and rosacea is gone. to start, i did not have really bad rosacea. it comes out during winter (red scaly skin, cystic acne, flushing)

i got this treatment from earthclinic.com as one of Ted's remedies.

caution - do not put more than 1% hydrogen peroxide in the mixture! i did this the first few days and it stung like hell!!!
miel
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Rosacea treated and gone!

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:12 am

Hello! (wave)

I looked up hydrogen peroxide on drugstore.com, and it only comes in 3% strength. Do you mean do not add more than 1% of the liquid to the mixture? Can you give us a few more details? Such as, 1tsp borax, 1tsp water, 1/2 tsp hydrogen peroxide.

I'm up for spot-trying it!

Okay, here is the post, with little bits and pieces by different people. I have read this before! The theory is it's killing demodex mites. Not sure I'd drink the borax, as is suggested, though.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/rosace ... DERFEEDBAC
Last edited by CrabbyCathy on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby miel » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi Cathy!

i typically eyeball measurements (out of laziness). yes, there's only 3% HP so i only put a little of that in the mixture (probably 1 tsp to lets say a cup of water?). i think ted's thread on earthclinic is more accurate with regards to measurements. before i did something like 50% of the 3% HP with water and borax...man that hurt. the borax should be saturated meaning until it becomes paste-like....like grainy toothpaste. i leave it on at night which makes the bed real sandy...lol

i'm pretty sure now that its the mites causing my rosacea. i have sensitive skin to begin with and i think during winter, the cold air coming at my face breaks down some kind of natural barrier thus causing this mite population to grow. last winter it did feel like there was something crawling on my face...gross.

i'm not sure if this is what causes all types of rosacea. i lived in a tropical country all my life so its only when i moved to NYC that i started getting this. during summer, it goes away.

other things i do
1. drinking baking soda and water with a little borax (the borax sounds scary but according to Ted its as toxic as table salt)
2. vitamin A everyday
3. for maintenance (in between the days i do the borax treatment), i wash my face daily with diluted HP and tea tree oil
4. drinking apple cider vinegar with water everyday
5. Eucerin cream on my face...the best for winter (my skin gets really dry)
miel
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:48 am

Thanks for your reply!

Hmmm, this is odd. Usually rosacea does get worse in the summer, from the heat. I'm not sure how the mites would respond to weather changes.

Have you gone to a derm to have a skin-scraping done, to see if there are indeed mites, and an over-population of them?

I'm leery of using that much hydrogen peroxide, though--you mention you wash with it daily. It can cause damage to the skin. This is an excerpt from the Paula's Choice website.

There is a great deal of current research showing that hydrogen peroxide is problematic as a topical disinfectant because it can greatly reduce the production of healthy new skin cells (Source: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, September 2001, pages 675–687). Hydrogen peroxide is also a strong oxidizing agent, meaning that it generates free-radical damage. While it can function as a disinfectant, the cumulative problems that can stem from impacting the skin with a substance that is known to generate free-radical damage, impair the skin’s healing process, cause cellular destruction, and reduce optimal cell functioning are serious enough that it is better to avoid its use (Sources: Carcinogenesis, March 2002, pages 469–475; Anticancer Research, July–August 2001, pages 2719–2724; and Cellular and Molecular Biology, April 2007, pages 1–2). See free-radical damage.

Eucerin in the tub? "Original"? It's quite thick and heavy, but if it works for you, great! Have you tried Cerave?
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby miel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:05 pm

nope did not do a skin scrape but feel no need to since its not a problem anymore (or at least for now). yeah, my rosacea gets worse during winter. i may have mild rosacea during summer but it definitely gets worse during winter. that explanation is just a guess....colder weather definitely affects me.

wow i didn't know that HP to the face could have negative side effects! i'll definitely reconsider! perhaps i dont need to add it at all to my wash.

haven't tried Cerave! will look into it as well. thanks!
miel
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Barbaraaa » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:47 am

Hi Cathy and Miel,

I, too, have been reading the earthclinic Web site. Several folks there have posted on the success of the Hydrogen Peroxide and Borax mixture. I have been attempting it in various forms for the past six days with very little impact. As a matter of fact, it seems that my rosacea has increased. (:| However, I am aware that with natural remedies, sometimes things get worse prior to getting better - a type of "flushing out the toxins." Furthermore, I have pretty severe rosacea, and do not expect a miraculous instant cure. I have not taken the Borax internally -- not because I'm concerned about the health risks, but rather because I truly did not like the taste!

I am going to continue the Borax/Water/Hydrogen Peroxide wash twice a day, and will post it's effectiveness for me.

Thanks for sharing and for allowing me to share!

P.S. I have reviewed this site numerous times, but this is the first that I have contributed.
Barbaraaa
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby miel » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Hello! Hope it works out for you.

Update: still continuing with borax on my face at night. Skin doing well. I tried not doing it a few days and found that the rosacea comes back. I know...borax tastes bad. It has that metallic taste to it. Some days i drink it and some days i dont
miel
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:56 am

Welcome Barbaraaa! (wave)

I still have not tried this, but I'm glad you're skin is doing well, Miel!
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Norman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi,
I am new, and I just want to tell about my experience.
I was diagnosed with Rosacea in 2002, and probably had it for a few years before that.
I had been taking 100 mg of Doxycyclene every day until about 8 months ago, when I discovered earthclinic.net.

So, I stopped taking Doxycyclene cold turkey and started mixing 1/8 teaspoon of 20 Mule Team Borax in 1 Liter of water, which I drink daily. (sometimes I'll put in tea, it seems to dissolve a lot better in warm water)
It works just as well as doxycyclene. I still have a few papules/postules or whatever they call them on my back, chest, and occasionally on my face, but so did I when I was taking Doxycyclene, and my face is not red.

Borax is E285 in Europe, it has the same toxicity level as regular table salt.

A collegue of mine has suffered with chronic arthritis in his knees for many years, and I gave him some Borax to try, and his "ache" disappeared after 1 day.. and he is still not having any "aching" after 3 months. Another collegue has arthritis in his hands and he also said it doesn't hurt as much any more.

I find that I works immidetely after I take it, if I feel my face getting "warm" I will drink maybe 1/3 L and it goes away within 3 minutes.
It seems to work best if I sip a little every now and then throughout the day, but sometimes I'll drink 1/2 l in the morning and 1/2 l at night and it works well also.

I read so many "scary" stories, from people that doesn't know anything about it that I just wanted to tell my experience, and hopefully it will help somebody else.

The side effects I have noticed is it seems to dehydrate me a little, and some crazy dreams (all my collegues also seems to have more "lively" dreams also).

I also pour maybe half a cup full in the tub whenever I take a bath, and it seems to really clear up my skin, (Borax is the main ingredient in most bath salts.)

It appears that people that critisize the use of Borax have very little to go by since the Pharmaceutical industry can't patent Borax, and therefore doesn't spend much time researching the effects of it. (although it is used in Gardasil)
But a little searching with "the Google" will find a lot of people drinking it successfully and have been for many many years.

http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e285.htm
Norman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby reneegavin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I read the post about using Borax(which I happened to have in my house), and mixed it with water and put it on my face for an hour. When I rinsed it off, I must say, my face was MUCH softer and less red! However, I started to research Borax and found quite a few health concerns. It even says to wear rubber gloves when handling it. Am I missing something?
reneegavin
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Next

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies