Rosacea Cured

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Rosacea Cured

Postby RedDan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:36 pm

... at long last after many years.

So, here's how I was able to finally beat this, and I really mean beat it. It may come back over time, but now I know what to do to take care of it.

For those that don't know, I have had papulopustular rosacea for about 7-8 years. I tried everything to treat it including natural remedies and going to dermatologists (all of whom said well we dont' know what causes it --- therfore there's no cure). Well, I didn't like that answer and I even had one derm say that that's why people like me were so great, because I would always have to come back for an appointment. Ok, now I was angry.

After a great deal of research and while figuring out the cure I discover I had a combination of skin condition affecting my face. So, here's what I did and what cured it.

1) Papulopustular part: This is 100% (in my case) demodex mites, which quite frankly I did not belive in before I cleared it up. I had persistent areas on my forehead and cheeks with these bumps. Did some reading on another forum about these mites and decided to try some out-of-the box cures (including soaking my face in Borax -- didnt have any bad side effects, but didnt do much either). Well, it was much easier than that. To kill the demodex mites, you need Ivermectin, which you can get via perscription for the doctor OR, do what I did and went to the local feed store for livestock and got Ivermectin for horse (same stuff 1/20th the price) I just made sure that it ONLY had ivermectin not some other stuff. I dispensed it by body weight as they do for horses and took it orally just before dinner. After taking it, I could feel my scalp and skin crawling, I guess those were the mites dieing -- one can dream. The next day, immediately my face looked better, much less redness and the pustules were mostly fading or gone. waited a couple days, did it again. Then I decided to take it topically and made a mask with it. I continued this treatment with focus on the mask aspect in later stages rather than orally, for about a month. Finally, the pustules stopped coming, now they are 100% gone. There are some studies on this that I read first before trying it, you can find one of them here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10534645

2) Rosacea (run-of-the-mill redness): Well, this is caused by having blood vessels too close to your skin. These veins change and grow as you age, drink, get angry, flush, etc. Just look at salmon swimming up stream, they turn red from the stress. So what to do about this? Laser treatments. Ive had 5 treatments, 1 with an aurora laser and 4 with a YAGG laser. It greatly reduced the redness overall so much so that people I hadn't seen for a few months commented on it as soon as they saw me. More importantly, I no longer try to look at my face in the reflection of the drivers windows when I enter the car to see how I look that day. As a matter of fact, I dont think about my face very much at all more.

3) Acne: I've got big pores and blackheads which get clogged and give me pimples. The Laser treatments reduce the size of the sebaceous glands which greatly reduces the occurance of acne/blackheads/pimples. I went to the derm about this and got a perscription for tetracycline, like a $4 perscription from Walmart, and that keeps the acne in check along with the laser treatment.

So basically, Ive been "cured" for 3 months. If the pustuales come back, more ivermectin. If the redness returns i'll use laser treatments (is cost $250/per visit). But thank goodness Im normal looking again!

Thing about the mites is since they are living things, I expect to come into contact with them again at some point, so this is an area of concern. Its all about managing it, but yes a cure is possible, after that vigilence.
RedDan
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Re: Rosacea Cured

Postby Aurelia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:01 pm

That is brilliant news, Dan! What a thrill for you, and a great reward for years of hard work, slogging away at the problem. (clapping)

As we often say, there is no "one cure" for rosacea, but there are a whole load of treatments that can be combined into individually-tailored regimes that will help most people, often to the point where rosacea is no longer noticeable. Those in despair at their current symptoms often doubt that is possible, but it certainly is and you're part of the proof. Bravo, and thanks so much for sharing what worked for you.

Yes, Demodex mites often play a major role in making rosacea symptoms far worse, especially with the papulopustular subtype. It took a long time for people to wake up to that, not least because mite-killing vendors used to claim (and some still do) that ALL rosacea is CAUSED by Demodex so ALL rosaceans will be totally cured by killing mites. Modify that to SOME rosacea is caused OR exacerbated by Demodex OR bacteria carried by the mites and SOME rosaceans will be greatly helped by eliminating the mites, and hardly anyone would disagree.

RedDan wrote:Thing about the mites is since they are living things, I expect to come into contact with them again at some point, so this is an area of concern. Its all about managing it, but yes a cure is possible, after that vigilence.

A very sensible attitude. Mites are terribly hard to eliminate completely and reinfestation is the norm. Apart from Ivermectin, another good topical is Eurax cream (main active ingredient is crotamiton).

RedDan wrote:As a matter of fact, I dont think about my face very much at all more ... thank goodness Im normal looking again!

So you'll be doing a lot of lurking under the mistletoe this year, eh? (blush)

Kind regards, and Merry Christmas,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby RedDan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:00 am

ah yes, definitely have someone already lined up for the mistletoe.

your post put me in the mind to share that I belive "rosacea" is an umbrella term for SEVERAL distinc conditions and that fact greatly complicates diagnosis. It is necessary to understand what particular form of rosacea you have and treat that. Also, finding a derm that is really invovled in your struggle is rare ... basically yer on yer own.

For the sake of those who come after me: I sympathize and suffered with you. What can I tell you but that supplements made me feel better and produced marginal 2-5% results that did little to alter the condition (for me) there are only 5-8 forms of "rosacea" find treatments for each and determine what kind you have, focus on curing that one. You may find you have a potpourri of conditions.

For me the demodex mites thing was a breakthrough, I mean bugs on your skin? really? That's just nuts. But, the results with ivermectin were immediate and dramatic. So really, I don't care if there ever were bugs or not, it worked so i'll do it again if I have to.

The blood vessel thing about redness, seeing regular skin and rosacea skin under high microscopy is eye-opening. rosacea skin has a lot of blood vessel near the surface and THATS the cause of what I call REAL rosacea. No supplement or pill is going to do anything about an actual physical shance in your body, but laser treatments will. Warning, they HURT, I mean like pain. Like Han Solo pre-carbonite put-me-on-the-electrodes-gential-shock pain. Let me tell you, I remember that ceiling. But it was all worth it.

I posted under "rosacea cured" because I used to search under that term in google often in vain. Well if you stumbled across this. Good luck to you, mate! There's a victory in there somewhere for you, but you have to find it on your own and hopefully with the help of others here on this forum.
RedDan
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Julie » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:24 am

Congratulations on your exciting results!!! Ivemectrin is also used to kill internal parasites as well. I am interested in trying it orally, but when I went to the local feed store there was a warning label saying it was specifically designed for horses and do not use on any other animal. what brand did you use?

Thanks,

julie
Julie
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby RedDan » Tue May 18, 2010 8:20 am

It was "apple flavor -- that horses LOVE!" (rofl) Dont remember the company, wrapper was yellow tho and came in a kind of plastic wrapper thing. Looked like an injector (I guess to put in a horse mouth and squeeze it in?)

As a follow-up. Loving the results! I still look in the mirror and think, "Thank you GOD!!". I do still get pimples on my nose, which I hate, but I am going back for the last 2 laser treatments that I skipped because the results were so good and I got busy. Hopefully that takes care of the last of it.

But I have to say, the results speak for themselves. And do some reading before you try the ivermectin, I'd talk with a Doctor about it too. If you go that route, try topical (its greasy), because I read it doesn't penetrate through the skin into the body very well and the demodex mites would be on the surface. I just read the other day that they are using topical ivermectin to treat head lice because its become resistant to antibiotics.

The combo of laser treatment and ivermectin worked for me. You can find a Dr. to prescribe ivermectin as well, which is probably 1000x a better idea.

Keep believing, you'll figure it out. Took me 5 painful years.
RedDan
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Mike T » Tue May 18, 2010 8:50 am

I think topical application is a much better idea than ingestion.

Animal products do not require the stringent health testing as do products which are made specifically for humans, so you can never be sure what it will do, short or long term, when it enters your bloodstream.

Considering the mites are an epidermal skin infection it makes even more sense to go topical before oral.

Regards,

Mick
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby RedDan » Sat May 22, 2010 8:17 am

RedDan wrote:

Thing about the mites is since they are living things, I expect to come into contact with them again at some point, so this is an area of concern. Its all about managing it, but yes a cure is possible, after that vigilence.

Just thought I'd share and let everyone know (and me know if I need to find this thread a few years from now), that the "acne" on my nose that has been slowly getting worse and more "lumpy" has been confirmed to be a recurrence of demodex mites.

You get one spot one day and think not much of it, then two, then a couple, but its a shifting population over time so you get used to always having one, then always having two (but they'll go away soon), but oops! here comes the third one.

So the other day I got a "pimple" above my eyebrow. Strange. I never get them there. pop! But it didnt go away, and another one formed right next to it. Then it felt cystic. Cystic? That's like the P&P Rosacea I HAD! AAAAHHH!!!

So a quick trip to the ivermectin store later, I spent the night watching TV with a greasy apple-scented face. Two days later, my red nose has gone, the spot above my eyebrow is still there but only because it scabbed over after picking at it (it will take some time to heal). It seems I was right that they would come back.

All I can say is, if you get cleared up and start seeing something fishy going on, dont wait. Just go clear it up right away. They will come back. Vigilence. Always.
RedDan
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby edgar » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:40 pm

New member!

Im thinking about lazer treatment also. Im 25 male hispanic with fair skin. i was prescribed predisone 3 tabs a day for 5 days...2 tabs a day for 5 days...1 tab a day for 5 days and then 1/2 a tab a day for 5 days....the first week it really worked...then it came back. my forehead was CONSTANTLY flaky and whenever i rubbed my forehead the blood in my skin would disperse and gather back after time. I say its Rosacea but the doctor who prescribed me the predisone said "who said you have Rosacea?" "i mean what else could it be!?" i went back and now i'm on desodine 2 times a day for 5 days...then stop for 2 days....I'm wondering if stress is an issue because my blood pressure was high last time i checked a week ago... should i stay on desodine or is something more aggressive like lazer treatment a good option?
edgar
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby RedDan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:33 am

edgar wrote:New member!

Im thinking about lazer treatment also. Im 25 male hispanic with fair skin. i was prescribed predisone 3 tabs a day for 5 days...2 tabs a day for 5 days...1 tab a day for 5 days and then 1/2 a tab a day for 5 days....the first week it really worked...then it came back. my forehead was CONSTANTLY flaky and whenever i rubbed my forehead the blood in my skin would disperse and gather back after time. I say its Rosacea but the doctor who prescribed me the predisone said "who said you have Rosacea?" "i mean what else could it be!?" i went back and now i'm on desodine 2 times a day for 5 days...then stop for 2 days....I'm wondering if stress is an issue because my blood pressure was high last time i checked a week ago... should i stay on desodine or is something more aggressive like lazer treatment a good option?

Not sure if "flaky" would describe what I have experienced, so what you have may either be a different form of rosacea (its an umbrella term for a lot of conditions) or if its something else. My guess would be fungal or bacterial for "flaky" things.

I fit is bacterial or fungal, i'd stick with what they are saying since I know nothing about the medications you talked about. Also, a cheapo and effective solution for any sort of rash/infection is apple cider vinegar. It kills off what ever bacteria/fungus is living there. It will not kill "critters" tho, which is the problem I have with demodex.

Also, not a cure, but a tip that my derm(s) always tell me "moisturize!" If your getting flaky skin, you might give it a shot, it never hurts, but its not a cure, just a cover for the flakes. Good luck man, skin problems are just awful to deal with. Personally, I think Dr.s have quit giving out antibiotics which would clear up most of this stuff.
RedDan
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CLJ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:30 am

Great post. Thanks Dan!!

found the horse Ivermectin 'apple flavored' version that you mentioned:

Ivermectin Paste Dewormer - 6.08g dose @ 1.87% Apple Flavor
https://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Paste ... 01LXKF2VW/

The 7 reviews are worth reading regarding 'rosacea':
https://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Paste ... filter-bar
CLJ