Zinc Sulfate, Proven for rosacea

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Re: Zinc Sulfate, Proven for rosacea

Postby starbuck » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:40 pm

I was reading through pubmed articles and somehow ended up at a link to this article about zinc sulfate that references the study posted earlier in this thread..
http://dermatologytimes.modernmedicine. ... ail/647414

I thought it was strange since I've read about so many people having success with it. Is anyone still taking it?
starbuck
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:11 am

Honestly, I think I have this, in addition to other "I want to try" herbs and pills. I need to buckle down and try it. I tried Niacin, I flushed. Next on my list was MSM, but maybe I'll go to this first. I am also surprised that they found it ineffective in their study. Hmmm! Ah. Maybe this?

According to one expert, the stark discrepancy of the results of this trial when compared to the results of the near-identical trial found in the literature leaves unanswered questions, including the reliability of patient specifics documented in clinical trials.

Oh wait....I think I bought Zinc CITRATE because I read it was absorbed better, before reading about the sulfate form. I know for a fact that zinc gluconate, in some cold lozenges, made me flush horribly.

Thank you for reminding us about this, and hopefully others who are or did take this will respond soon! (;)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:27 am

Memory is a funny thing. The discussion about different forms of zinc left me cold, but this line "the stark discrepancy of the results of this trial when compared to the results of the near-identical trial found in the literature leaves unanswered questions, including the reliability of patient specifics documented in clinical trials" immediately recalled my own response to the same article at the RSG last December. If I may quote:

"It was good to see that those conducting this trial used therapy evaluations including "quality of life, photographs, blood samples (zinc, copper and hemoglobin levels) and improvement in severity of rosacea". Surely the wider the range of evaluations used, the lower the risk of any biased reporting, whether deliberate or inadvertent.

It was surprising to read the suggestion that in future, it might be better to publish documentation of protocols for studies BEFORE they are conducted. "If this new approach were to be taken, study methods and design of future trials could possibly receive a wave of scrutiny and constructive criticism from colleagues. Dr. Bamford says this would also help to avoid any "cherry-picking" of studies, reporting only on positive outcomes, and would assist those trying to confirm findings, as in their study."

Those are all valid and worthwhile points, but given the terribly long delays common in the whole peer-review process, wouldn't it be likely to slow things down immensely?
"

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ro ... age/105040

Just one personal perspective, of course. Others might well disagree. 'Tis permissible. :)

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby findingaway » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:14 am

Any luck with zinc sulphate. Did it work?

Also. can you please direct me to a page where I can see all the natural remedies people have tried, working my way through the list to see what works for me.
findingaway
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Aurelia » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi there! (wave)

I might be wrong but don't think we have one page listing "all the natural remedies people have tried".

If any enterprising soul fancied compiling such a list while glancing through the threads in the Natural Rosacea Therapies section, it would be much appreciated. You would receive the customary reward, which is a chocolate fish of the imaginary variety. :)

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby AnnRobbins » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi Artist

I am so glad you have posted this thread. I did a lot of research about zinc and zinc sulfate. I then tried many of the findings on my mother and other patients and this is what I found from my results...That is why it was great reading about this thread.

Zinc in zinc sulfate form helped only when there was deficiency of zinc and not when the diet supplied enough zinc. When there was not enough zinc in the diet and your body lacked it, the zinc made quite a bit of difference. Although some people did not react well with the sulfer part of it.
When there was enough in the diet, the way the zinc helped was the following

Via a face mask. And here is the one that was most effective for symptoms.
Get zinc sulfate and Vitamin B12 and grind them using a pestle and mortar. Then mix into a paste using warm water. make sure that the mixure has no rough
or exfoliating bits in it. mix well and apply paste gently to the face. allow it to dry and then gently remove.

You should find a difference in a couple of days. Please let me know what your results were if you are going to try it

I found that redness an pain were decreased

Use a pure form of zinc and B12

I look forward to hearing from you
Ann

And it goes without saying that always test a small part of your face before doing the whole face
I use my extensive medical knowledge as I am a dentist and have researched Rosacea to help my mother and patients with Rosacea in my clinic. I use only natural treatment and write for several rosacea sites.
AnnRobbins
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:07 am

Hi Ann and a warm welcome to our board (wave)

As one of Artist's fellow moderators, I just wanted to explain that she hasn't been posting for a few months because she is a hard-working hospital nurse also running a household and raising a handsome little son. Sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day. :)

We are very happy for you to participate in our group and our members would be delighted to hear whatever tips and advice you care to share with us. However, it might be best to explain that we have in the past found it best not to let the board be used for sales purposes or to establish consultancies, etc., so we aren't keen on people being drawn off the board to get advice by email or PMs. I'm sure you will appreciate that the whole point of a public board is for the advice to be posted here quite openly so it can benefit all of our members.

Also, if people who post have any financial connection (including affiliate links) to any product or treatment they write about or link to, we expect that to be declared. I think these days most boards favour such declarations of interest, so that is pretty standard. So do you have any such relationship with the four products you have showcased on the page you link to?

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby David Pascoe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:10 am

Please note some research from 2012 that suggests that Zinc Sulfate Doesn’t Work for Rosacea.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Previous

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies