Zinc Sulfate, Proven for rosacea

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

Zinc Sulfate, Proven for rosacea

Postby Artist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:30 pm

A few years ago a double-blind cross over study was done that showed 100mg of zinc sulfate taken three times a day improved rosacea over three months.

From: Oral zinc sulfate in the treatment of rosacea: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study.

"CONCLUSION: Zinc sulfate was found to be a good option in the treatment of rosacea, as it was safe, effective and lacking important side-effects."

I think zinc sulfate may require a prescription, so I wonder why derms aren't prescribing it? I may take this study to my next appointment and ask for it. I regularly see doctors at the hospital prescribe zinc sulfate for anyone who has healing wounds, and so I give it to patients quite a bit.

There are other forms available over the counter, but they weren't used in the study on rosacea.

Anyone take zinc for at least three months? If so,

what were the results?
What form and dose did you take?

I am thinking it helps in the same way that antibiotics help in that it slows neutrophils from getting to the site of inflammation, which then decreases the rosacea.

If taking zinc long term, a zinc-copper combo supplement should be used since zinc depletes copper in the body. Also, it should be taken two hours after antibiotics since zinc decreases their absorption.

Cheers!

Artist
Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first!
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: Zinc Sulfate, Proven for rosacea

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:33 pm

I personally just started taking zinc citrate a week ago--25 mg once daily; I read it was the best form of zinc absorbed by the body, but this (your post) is very interesting!

Does is really need a prescription? Darn it. Let me know what happens when you go to your derm.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby RedDan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:58 am

Zinc is very good to supplement, however my problem with it is that if you take it on an empty stomache, it HURTS! I mean for 1-2 hours I am almost crippled if I take without eating something with it.

because of this I stopped supplementing it because I tend to supplement in the morning and I don't have breakfast. But hmmm, maybe I'll give it another go. (:|
RedDan
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Artist » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:45 pm

FYI someone kindly informed me that it doesn't require a prescription and that Thorne makes it.

Cheers!

Artist
Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Aurelia » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:39 am

RedDan wrote:Zinc is very good to supplement, however my problem with it is that if you take it on an empty stomache, it HURTS! I mean for 1-2 hours I am almost crippled if I take without eating something with it.

because of this I stopped supplementing it because I tend to supplement in the morning and I don't have breakfast. But hmmm, maybe I'll give it another go. (:|

Personally, I would take any such severe discomfort as an indicator that the supplement wasn't right for me. Have you considered boosting your diet with foodstuffs naturally high in zinc?

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Artist » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:21 am

RedDan: What form did you try? I often have a hard time with pills on an empty stomach, especially my tetracycline at first.

I ordered some zinc sulfate.

Considering the results of this study, I am shocked more of us haven't tried it. Unless it upsets my stomach and I have to stop, I'll use it for three months and then decide if it is helping. I think it may become a pain because I will have to take it at least two hours before or after my tetracycline. We'll see how often I remember to do this!

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby yoli » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:33 am

Artist, where did you ordered it from??? i want to try it as well. Thank you
yoli
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Aurelia » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:46 am

Artist wrote:Considering the results of this study, I am shocked more of us haven't tried it.

Hi Artist,

Interesting thread, thanks.

So many people have said that sulphur in different forms helps their skin, whether taken internally or applied externally, and ditto with products containing zinc, alone or in various combinations. I wonder if anyone has reported the results of taking sulphur and zinc supplements at the same time, rather than getting a prescription for zinc sulfate. Any ideas?

BTW the link you posted doesn't go to the study, just to the entrance page for site searches.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby RedDan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:39 am

The form that used cause a lot of pain were some CVS-available Zinc caplets (can't be sure of the specific zinc sub-type) most likely a generic (I seem to remeber bottle was white with a red and blue label). Personally, I like capsules more than caplets because I think they are easier for the body to break down.

After reading your post, I rotated in 30mg of Chelated Zin (whole Foods brand) that I had in the cabinet. Had two crackers with them and there was no discomfort. Maybe the chelated made it easier for me to absorb.

So many people have said that sulphur in different forms helps their skin, whether taken internally or applied externally, and ditto with products containing zinc, alone or in various combinations. I wonder if anyone has reported the results of taking sulphur and zinc supplements at the same time, rather than getting a prescription for zinc sulfate. Any ideas?

Interesting sulphur and zinc topic odyssey. My Dr. proscibed a sulphur cream that I put on my face and left there for the duration of the day, repeated the next day and :oops: <-- was the result. However, I was reading the benefits of garlic both orally and topically, so I started quartering 1-3 garlic cloves in the evening and swallowing them like pills with water (no chewing, no bad breath). They do seem to have helped, however my overall progress is improving in general so its hard to say how large a contribution it is making.

But, what IS interesting is that I have a bump that never goes away that occaisionally flakes, I scratch, it scabs. Well, I took a garlic clove cut one of the ends off and rubbed it on the spot (well, someone got to try this stuff right?) and the spot was much less visible the next day, I didn't do it again the next evening because I was happy with the result and it felt a little odd doing it. But I did it again tonight, let's see what happens. Garlic is sulphur rich and I believe the natural treatment from which the pharma companies derived the sulphur creams.

Regarding zinc creams, I put some zinc oxide cream on my rosacea patches for a little under a week and I didn’t notice anything significant with the results. However, I didn’t really give it a full trial.
RedDan
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Artist » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:48 am

Here is some detailed info on the different forms of zinc.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... t&dbid=115

It appears the only difference is in how they are absorbed. I tried Zinc gluconate since it was easier to get, but I really think it makes me more reactive. This form is chelated with gluconic acid, which is made by fermentation of aspergillus niger (a mold). I'm not sure why it makes me react, but perhaps it is due to the fast absorption or the chelating agent. I think I'll go with my plan of trying straight zinc sulfate (as they did in the study), and see if I tolerate that better. I found some made by Windmill through Amazon.

Cheers!

Artist
Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Next

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies